It rains here. :(

Cool-blue Rhythm Performance in Peoria

Just some info for the west side riders, Performance is supposed to be opening a super-sized Performance (equivalent to old Supergo) at Thunderbird and 101. I've heard it opens early March, but not sure. It'll just be nice to have a few more options over on the west side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    Just some info for the west side riders, Performance is supposed to be opening a super-sized Performance (equivalent to old Supergo) at Thunderbird and 101. I've heard it opens early March, but not sure. It'll just be nice to have a few more options over on the west side.
    Not to be a pessimist, because I think competition is good, but I hope the mom and pop shops (namely Gordon's and Swiss-America, as well as Exhale) can survive.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

wheeeee!!!
    I for one welcome our new performance-go overlords.

Gordons will certainly survive, they've got a huge bmx selection. your not gonna see performance carrying junior cruisers.

workin' it Administrator
    Well i would say good bye to your mom and pops if the carry a lot of crap and are staffed with persons that generally have no idea about bikes. if that is the case then goodbye mom and pop. If they are intelligent principled bike shop owners then they shouldn't have any problems.

The supergo/performance here (tucson) is full of garbage that very few employees know anything about really.

i did see a guy fitting a girl on a road bike by having her straddle it and saying "do you touch it between your legs?" to which she said " no I dont" and out she rode, all 5'-6" of her, on a 56" road bike. She is gonna love that. Never even test rode it.

Yep, if the ol' mom and pops are like that they are doomed :P
    Try this: HTFU

AKA shitbird
    I don't want to bash anyone who works in the bike industry (cause I'm jealous of them) but I have been amazed at the lack of bike knowledge I have seen at Performance.

My favorite scenario:
    employee: "hey whatcha need"
    me: "do you guys sell a cassette removal tool"
    employee: "a what?"
    me: "I'm swapping out cassettes between wheelsets, and need a cassette remover"
    employee: "cassette?"
    me: I point to a rear wheel on the shop wall. "this"
    employee: "Oh, the gears! Ok, so what do you need?"
    me: "I need to remove the cassette"
    employee: "why would you want to remove the gears?"
    me: "building a bike"
    employee: "so why can't you remove them"
    me: "because I lost my tool to remove it"
    employee: "I don't think it takes a special tool"
    By now I'm feeling drained and want to escape, but what the hell, I'll stick around for the fun.
    me: Really nicely I ask him "can you show me how to take it off then?"
    employee: "we'll let's see" He looks curiously at the wheel for a minute and "this wheel has the gears permanently attached, doesn't come off, are you sure your's come off?"
    me: laughing inside
    But I'm tired and done with this conversation and the guy was nice and I didn't want to embarass him so I just thanked him for his help and left. I figured the punishment for his stupidity was not correcting him so he could make himself look retarded another day.
    JRA

Fragile - must be Italian
    The Performance in Scottsdale is a dumpy little shop. I go there frequently, but *only* for necessities such as lube, tubes, etc. Why they didn't build a "megastore" in Scottsdale is beyond me. Hopefully the shop in Peoria is bigger with a better selection of items. But if they follow the model to what they did to the Chandler Supergo store...don't expect much.

I was always a Supergo basher...always considered them "inferior" for some reason. But now that the Chandler megastore has changed to a Performance, the meaning of "inferior" just ratcheted down a few notches. At least Supergo had a nice large selection of quality clothing, parts, shoes, and most anything else. That same shop how has 1/2 the inventory with much less name brand stuff...at higher prices.

Without Supergo, there really isn't any place in the Valley that carries a wide assortment of bike goods. Most of the mom-and-pop shops carry 1 major brand of everything and in limited quanties/sizes. REI is a little better...but not much.

Thx...Doug

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Most of the mom-and-pop shops carry 1 major brand of everything and in limited quanties/sizes. REI is a little better...but not much.
    This is why I look forward to the new Performance store, just for more of a selection. I have never really been impressed with the quality of goods they stock, so I doubt they will be my primary store. For tune ups and wrench work, Swiss American sold me long ago. Meanwhile, I also like some Specialized items so I go to Exhale from time to time.

Tdub

Variety good

[QUOTE=Umbrous]This is why I look forward to the new Performance store, just for more of a selection. QUOTE]

I'd have to agree, a Performance with a greater selection would not be such a bad thing. You've got a huge population of less than educated buyers and bikers that really don't have budgets over $1000 to kick things off. I was one of them. We need to ease into the sport and can either do it through Walmart, Big 5, Sport Chalet etc, or through places like Performance where there is a generally good variety. There is far more knowledge in the local LBS's, but not really the "one stop shop". I've picked up many a lube and tube at Performance and I'm still convinced that they can beat generally any price around for some of the basics. On a lucky whim, you get a full blown convert like me who ultimately supports the full gambit, LBS, online shop and even Performance.
    [SIZE="3"]"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh[/SIZE]

Happy trails

it'll be good to have more westside choices.

i'll play the wait and see game as far as customer service and selection goes.
    Aaron

I am Walt
    I like Performance for finding stuff for relatively cheap. They have some good coupons - current one is $20 off a purchase of $50 or more. So I'll go in and buy $50.01 of whatever, and save 40%. Usually, it's already on sale...
    Ride more; post less...