Thread: Perfect Storm

mtbr member

Perfect Storm

The perfect storm = middle aged, slightly overweight, and trying single speed for the first time. Any advise on a good beginner trail in Phoenix? ie: easy climbs, not too sandy. I was reading up on the stickies... Pemberton Trail sounded do-able? I live in North Scottsdale if that is any help. I've considered just riding along the canals, but I did MTB in Flagstaff in my college days, some challenge would be nice.

Thanks much for any suggestions!
    Rich

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum
    The perfect storm = middle aged, slightly overweight, and trying single speed for the first time. Any advise on a good beginner trail in Phoenix? ie: easy climbs, not too sandy. I was reading up on the stickies... Pemberton Trail sounded do-able? I live in North Scottsdale if that is any help. I've considered just riding along the canals, but I did MTB in Flagstaff in my college days, some challenge would be nice.

Rich
    I think Pemberton would be a great suggestion. Relatively flat, but long. You probably could also get away wiht the long loop out at MMP, since the challenge of SS is being able to "umph" your way up short, steep climbs.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

meow
    x2 on Pemberton, long gradual climb either direction and gradual descent the other way. For a first time ccw is easiest. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Skinny & Cato - Thank you for your replies, I suppose all that's left is riding.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum

Rich
    Rich - I, too, live in N. Scottsdale, and ride alot in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve, mostly on my 29'er SS. Check it out...TH's at 128th and 124th Sts. north of Via Linda, around 104th and Bell, and various other points. A bit rocky, and some grunt climbs, but excellent riding and SS'ing. Enjoy!
    Ride more; post less...

pedaller

Since you said "in Phoenix"

Desert Classic at SoMo for sure also. It's best during the week but it's OK on the weekends too. I just did a 14+ mile ride out there yesterday on my SS with my wife. Lots of fun!

Signed - middle-aged, slightly overweight and riding his 1st SS bike also. BTW, The SS has vastly improved my overall riding. I love it!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Trail around the golf course at Papago was where I started my kids. It's a relatively smooth rolling dirt path. If it's not challenging enough, take the trail up to McDowell Rd that circles the Buttes.
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

It rains here. :(
    I agree with all. My SS was mainly used at Papago, Pemberton, Desert Classic, W. Tanks, and the Comp. Loops at McDowell.
    07 GF Rig