Ahhh the pain....

The Perfect Ride

Today I had a 2 hour window of time to ride up north before returning to the valley. I decided to do a 15 mile loop that I tend to frequent in the summer which includes a nice 700 foot climb followed by some ups and downs and assorted single and double track...
    Coming off of Saturday's 70 mile Aspen Asphyxiation Race, I wasn't expecting the freshest of legs...but I was pleasantly surprised.
    I put on my headphones, headed out and the magic seemed to happen...the music was right, not so loud as to drown out the sound of my tires on the dirt. As I hit the climb, my SS was silent...no creaks, no clicks, no annoying sounds. The pedals seemed to fall away from my feet as I stood on them. My heart rate increased, but seemed to almost instantly recover as the grade lessened. Power was plentiful, almost like twisting a throttle. I chose lines through rock gardens that I'd never found before, but seemed to just appear before me. As I'd hit flatter sections, I'd settle into a rhythm, and then simply jump out of saddle for a dozen crank revolutions to pick up the pace.
    Albeit only an hour and twenty minute ride, it was probably the most perfect ride I've had in months...It's made me smile all day long.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    You have attained enlightenment and ascended in to biking nirvana.

Give it a crank
    You didn't mention the word "suffer", are you ok?

Lakvoodoo
    Nice! Those days when we don't expect much sometimes seem to be the simplest and most rewarding.

Funny you said "the pedals seemed to fall away..." How did you know? Yep, my no-fail $xtr pedal totally failed today...bearings fell out, pedal totally fell off...of course no where near civilization (what is that?). It's not my year for pedals it seems. Shimano is replacing for FREE though so that made the day a little better (after the HAB (on a road...BORING), a hitchhike and some sulking). A bad day on the bike is still...well...better than most anything else, eh?

The Perfect Ride-img_6331.jpg
    Last edited by Lakvoodoo; 05-13-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: pic
    Get Outside!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Today I had a 2 hour window of time to ride up north before returning to the valley. I decided to do a 15 mile loop that I tend to frequent in the summer which includes a nice 700 foot climb followed by some ups and downs and assorted single and double track...
    Coming off of Saturday's 70 mile Aspen Asphyxiation Race, I wasn't expecting the freshest of legs...but I was pleasantly surprised.
    I put on my headphones, headed out and the magic seemed to happen...the music was right, not so loud as to drown out the sound of my tires on the dirt. As I hit the climb, my SS was silent...no creaks, no clicks, no annoying sounds. The pedals seemed to fall away from my feet as I stood on them. My heart rate increased, but seemed to almost instantly recover as the grade lessened. Power was plentiful, almost like twisting a throttle. I chose lines through rock gardens that I'd never found before, but seemed to just appear before me. As I'd hit flatter sections, I'd settle into a rhythm, and then simply jump out of saddle for a dozen crank revolutions to pick up the pace.
    Albeit only an hour and twenty minute ride, it was probably the most perfect ride I've had in months...It's made me smile all day long.
    It's weird how on some days, you body is just in tune with everything. Ask it to do something....well there it goes.

Makes up for the days when your body doesn't want to cooperate on the very same ride.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakvoodoo View Post
    Nice! Those days when we don't expect much sometimes seem to be the simplest and most rewarding.

Funny you said "the pedals seemed to fall away..." How did you know? Yep, my no-fail $xtr pedal totally failed today...bearings fell out, pedal totally fell off...of course no where near civilization (what is that?). It's not my year for pedals it seems. Shimano is replacing for FREE though so that made the day a little better (after the HAB (on a road...BORING), a hitchhike and some sulking). A bad day on the bike is still...well...better than most anything else, eh?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6331.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	798885
    A little gorilla tape and superglue would fix that right up! Wondered why your track ended at Schultz...that 'splains it.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Ray, I had that exact same ride!! Then I woke up. Seriously though, I kinda felt like that climbing out of the Gila on the 300, it was the most surreal feeling I've had to date on a ride, I wish it would've lasted longer!!

Too much power Lakvoodoo!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Nice Ray. this post takes me back to the Passion of old. (yep I said it)

Thanks for the Stoke!

(La....been there. Had a pedal come off like that, just as I committed to a little techy section...Woohoo bucking bronco time!)
    b

My other ride is your mom
    I'm due for one of these...it's been a while. I love the feeling of "lightness"....your tires are just humming along, every line you pick just flows, the music meshes with the experience, the sights align with the smells....it's such a profound experience when it all comes together, you just want to ride forever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a feeling of "lightness" every time the trails turns downhill.
    Because, one is never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BeerJoe View Post
    I have a feeling of "lightness" every time the trails turns downhill.
    I have the feeling of "lightheadedness" every time the trails turn uphill. Especially in Flagstaff.

mtbr member
    You found what Austin Powers lost......mojo
    AKA: G-wat