Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Perfect Day for Adopt'a'Trail Workers to Do Badly Needed Trail Maintenance

11K views 179 replies 22 participants last post by  rockman 
#1 ·
We went out today and finished up the famous Nodfest ride. While bombing down some of our fun Sedona trails I couldn't help but think how some trails hold up better than other trails. Certainly today would have been a great day to do maintenance if you had permission from the landmanager to do needed maintenance.

After big rain periods the trails shows you where fast moving water is eroding the trail, so it is a great time to install a new water diverter or out slope the trail. Also it's a good time to do maintenance on jumps like NRA has where the faces and trannys have experience heavy wear due constant use.

The problem we have in Sedona is that there is a two day waiting period between the asking for permission to do work on your adopted trail and actually being able to work on it. That means if you wanted to work on the lips of the Pig Tail jump trail today due to the excellent moisture conditions you couldn't start the work until Wednesday.

Hopefully the FS will be able to speed up the paperwork process in the future and it would be interesting if other MTBR viewers have found a solution to this frustrating problem.

It would be interesting if any badly needed trail maintenance was accomplished in Gold Canyon today and how those Adopt'a'Trail workers were able to respond so quickly?

TD

See less See more
#2 ·
Hopefully the FS will be able to speed up the paperwork process in the future and it would be interesting if other MTBR viewers have found a solution to this frustrating problem.

TD
Why not plan ahead? It's not like rain just occurs without you knowing about it around here.If you had applied for permission on Wed of last week you would have had it granted by Friday and could have performed trail maintenance on Sunday after the storm passed.

It's really not that difficult.

#6 ·
P:

You obviously don't have a clue about how efficient trail maintenance works. You go out and ride a trail you have adopted and you have a couple of your friends with you. While you are riding the jumps you realize several need some work on the lips, faces or trannys. You have tools stashed at the site. You say to your friends would you mind helping me fix this jump to improve the riding experience. They say sure I don't mind spending an hour making the jump better.

You the Adopt'a'Trail trail boss get out your phone and you text and phone Adrian's voice mail and let her know you are out with two people and are going to fix a jump on Pigtail. The text verifys the time you sent the voice mail and the voice mail give all the info about who is doing the work.

TD

#3 ·
We went out today and finished up the famous Nodfest ride. While bombing down some of our fun Sedona trails I couldn't help but think how some trails hold up better than other trails. Certainly today would have been a great day to do maintenance if you had permission from the landmanager to do needed maintenance.

After big rain periods the trails shows you where fast moving water is eroding the trail, so it is a great time to install a new water diverter or out slope the trail. Also it's a good time to do maintenance on jumps like NRA has where the faces and trannys have experience heavy wear due constant use.

The problem we have in Sedona is that there is a two day waiting period between the asking for permission to do work on your adopted trail and actually being able to work on it. That means if you wanted to work on the lips of the Pig Tail jump trail today due to the excellent moisture conditions you couldn't start the work until Wednesday.

It would be interesting if any badly needed trail maintenance was accomplished in Gold Canyon today and how those Adopt'a'Trail workers were able to respond so quickly?

TD
Adpot a Trail? What is this? Please tell us more.

#7 ·
John,

How do you know this is a 'problem' and 'frustrating' since you are not a member of the program?
Justin:

Thanks for you input. Since I can only speak from personal experience on trying to help with those imbedded rock projects you did on the Grand Central and the Coyote trail and not being able to get Angie to get the paperwork done so I could do those projects you ended up doing. That was very frustrating to me personally. I had the tools stashed out there to do the work, but couldn't get the approvals.

These are the pictures of the projects I was going to work on but you and CREC ended up doing the work since Angie wasn't able to get the approvals done in a timely manner.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
^^^
And this is a serious question. What is wrong with those trails in those pictures? Looks very rideable to me, just looks like a wet trail. I've helped build and maintain a trail or 2 in my day, but will fully admit that I just do the labor, while the other people delegate.

#17 · (Edited)
I would appreciate it if CO and C64 would stay off this thread. This is an important subject that needs to be discussed before the next Sedona RTCA meeting.

I can never get a straight answer from Justin when he chimes into the discussion so maybe other trail bosses from other areas can respond and tell us if they have the same waiting period when they go in and do necessary maintenance for the FS on trails they have adopted in the Adopt'a'Trail program.

It just seems like when you are out on a trail where there is a blockage in the trail, if you are the trail boss on that trail you shouldn't have to wait 2 days to fix the trail. Maybe that is the reason the FS won't let me do the work on Anaconda because I would want to keep the trail in great shape and that is not what they want to see happen because it would mean Justin would have to work on trails like Bell Rock Pathway and Deadman's Pass.

I am curious when Justin thinks the Anaconda re-route will be done around the ruin site and when the trail will be officially adopted? I am also curious what sustainability issues are present on the trail and when those will be addressed. The hydrologist I walked the trail with 3 years ago didn't think there were many issues and it will be interesting what Justin comes up with that Doug didn't notice.

The reason why I keep coming back to Anaconda is that it is an intermediate trail with very few if any Sedona advanced skill surprises. I think it will be a great addition to the Dry Creek area trail system. It provides a nice way to get from the Dry Creek trails back to the new Vultee Arch/Chuck Wagon trail head. I also works as a connector that makes for several different loop opportunities.

TD

TD

#19 ·
I would appreciate it if CO and C64 would stay off this thread. This is an important subject that needs to be discussed before the next Sedona RTCA meeting.

I can never get a straight answer from Justin when he chimes into the discussion so maybe other trail bosses from other areas can respond and tell us if they have the same waiting period when they go in and do necessary maintenance for the FS.

It just seems like when you are out on a trail where there is a blockage in the trail, if you are the trail boss on that trail you shouldn't have to wait 2 days to fix the trail. Maybe that is the reason the FS won't let me do the work on Anaconda because I would want to keep the trail in great shape and that is not what they want to see happen because it would mean Justin would have to work on trails like Bell Rock Pathway and Deadman's Pass.
Is this not the same type content as in dozens of your other posts? Besides I'm just trying to bring Sugar Free Hot Chocolate and Hot Toddies to the Masses. Your threads are so interesting, it's the best place to insert my commentary.

#22 ·
Doc, I've been monitoring those sections as well. These are pics of the main crossing in Crucifixion Wash after one of the larger monsoon thunderstorm events last summer. Same as your first two pics.

I believe these structures had more to do with the FS hydrologists concern with enhanced siltation in a tributary to Oak Creek than permits or paperwork issues. Either way, I'm not sure exactly what function they perform. The first doesn't encourage the rider to use it rather than just bypassing it and the other is rather difficult to climb and most folks just dismount and HAB to get to the trail on the other side.

I get the general idea but they seem overly built. I wonder if the folks in the field had any choice in the matter?

Attachments

#24 ·
Doc, I've been monitoring those sections as well. These are pics of the main crossing in Crucifixion Wash after one of the larger monsoon thunderstorm events last summer. Same as your first two pics.

I believe these structures had more to do with the FS hydrologists concern with enhanced siltation in a tributary to Oak Creek than permits or paperwork issues. Either way, I'm not sure exactly what function they perform. The first doesn't encourage the rider to use it rather than just bypassing it and the other is rather difficult to climb and most folks just dismount and HAB to get to the trail on the other side.

I get the general idea but they seem overly built. I wonder if the folks in the field had any choice in the matter?
rockman:

Thanks for your prior pictures. I will be taking picures of that crossing for years to come to try and document how those type of crossing work out over the long run compared to what Justin did in the other pictures. It would be interesting to get his professional insight as to thought process that went into those crossings and whether they are working according to the original goal.

TD

#23 ·
Holy F*ckballs! I remembered my MTBR Password...it's been so long, I had almost forgotten it. But once I saw hot cocoa and hot toddies on the line, I HAD to sign in and give my thumbs up for that. Don't forget to add the mini marshmallows...but not the fugly pastel-ie colored ones. They suck...

I think we definitely should have a night ride up in DD and meet back at ST's place for front yard fires, hot cocoa, toddies and discussing important matters unrelated to Sedona.
ST, You do have a hot tub, don't you???

#25 ·
TD

Help me understand your goal.

You started a thread topic about a issue with a program( that you yourself are not a part of) that may not even exist. Further more you request solutions or ideas to said problem, in a manner that would suggest that you are leading others to believe that this so-called "work authorization period" is the problem and should be reduced to a text msg or phone call.

Stop trying to create a problem just so you can some how show to anyone, that you have something to contribute.

From what I personally understand from the Sedona locals and have concluded myself is this.

Although you may have a really deep desire to be a productive member of the Sedona MTB community, your efforts have forced the FS to be much more regulated and watchful over the land they manage. So no matter how much you post on this forum, email the FS, or force your opinion on others at meetings, I highly doubt your efforts at this time are even being noticed by anyone at the FS. I might even go as far to say that the FS wouldn't trust you with any level of help from you.

I have personally heard that you have been given an inch and you took a mile from the FS on more than one occasion when it comes to volunteer work on FS land.

Reactions: woahey
#27 · (Edited)
TD

I have personally heard that you have been given an inch and you took a mile from the FS on more than one occasion when it comes to volunteer work on FS land.
Shine:

Could you be more specific about your last sentence. Sounds like BS to me. Why did your buddy Jeff buy me dinner? I think Cakewalk and I showed him a good time in Sedona while he was here and buying me dinner seemed like a good way thank me for showing him some fun trails to ride. I certainly didn't expect him to buy me dinner, but I certainly appreciated it.

That's what it is all about R&S. Riding the trails and taking good care of them has always been my goal.

Guys like you like to ride the trails, but what are you doing to take care of them? Have you signed up to Adopt'a'Trail yet or are you sitting back expecting others to do all the work? I will buy you the same dinner that Jeff bought me if you sign up or are already signed up.

TD

#26 ·
TD, we have a complete trail network map marked with way points needing attention and the LM allow us to work as we choose and report back via email with pics of the work. For a major change (new trail section for example) they come and inspect the flagging, check our updates and then return when we finish the entire job. This way we (and the rangers) are not wasting time on repetition. Also allows us to change location if the weather is a factor - like you said, until you see what water is doing and how your work changes it, you cannot really know what's right. Working in the rain is a matter of necessity.

#30 ·
TD
My last sentence is not BS and you fn know it. Several people have informed me that when you were given permission to be a volunteer, you took it upon yourself to do whatever you felt needed to be done, without informing the FS first. Don't start your BS with me cause you know I'm not going to put up with it!!

As for your Fn lame atempt to make me feel guilty or to make me look bad by asking what have I done for the local trail system. As I recall I do remember doing some trail work with you so I don't understand why you would say such things.

If you don't like me calling you on your narcissistic trail agenda then simply stop dropping your BS lures into the MTBR forum pool.

You ask if I am going to adopt a trail, damn well knowing I'm recovering from injury!!! You are truely a narcissistic ass and you prove it a lot!

My friend Jeff bought you a meal and you wonder why? It's really quite simple TD, I have good people for friends, which is something I gather is rare to you from your inability to understand random acts of kindness. Cakewalk was also showed appreciation from my friend for taking him on some nice rides. Because of my injury I was not able to ride with him this visit, so I had him hook up with the MBH's Sunday shop ride.

You are right about one thing you said "it's all about riding", not all about trail work and volunteering. Personally you have turned me against your efforts (and you know exactly why so it does not need to be mentioned) so I have no reason to communicate my intentions with you, they will be brought to the appropriate FS land manager when I want to. I find the way you communicate your desires and ideas very abrasive and counter productive and I am not the only one who feels this way.

FYI TD choose your thread topics carefully, I have a whole bunch of time on my hands and I will call you on any of your BS.

This thread was the first one I read from you that was an obvious effort to create a problem (that only exists if you have no common sense) in order to use said problem to change FS land manager policy or requirements to what YOU feel they should be.

This thread topic is BS that is why I don't mind pointing it out!

#32 ·
TD
My last sentence is not BS and you fn know it. Several people have informed me that when you were given permission to be a volunteer, you took it upon yourself to do whatever you felt needed to be done, without informing the FS first. Don't start your BS with me cause you know I'm not going to put up with it!!

As for your Fn lame atempt to make me feel guilty or to make me look bad by asking what have I done for the local trail system. As I recall I do remember doing some trail work with you so I don't understand why you would say such things.

If you don't like me calling you on your narcissistic trail agenda then simply stop dropping your BS lures into the MTBR forum pool.

You ask if I am going to adopt a trail, damn well knowing I'm recovering from injury!!! You are truely a narcissistic ass and you prove it a lot!

My friend Jeff bought you a meal and you wonder why? It's really quite simple TD, I have good people for friends, which is something I gather is rare to you from your inability to understand random acts of kindness. Cakewalk was also showed appreciation from my friend for taking him on some nice rides. Because of my injury I was not able to ride with him this visit, so I had him hook up with the MBH's Sunday shop ride.

You are right about one thing you said "it's all about riding", not all about trail work and volunteering. Personally you have turned me against your efforts (and you know exactly why so it does not need to be mentioned) so I have no reason to communicate my intentions with you, they will be brought to the appropriate FS land manager when I want to. I find the way you communicate your desires and ideas very abrasive and counter productive and I am not the only one who feels this way.

FYI TD choose your thread topics carefully, I have a whole bunch of time on my hands and I will call you on any of your BS.

This thread was the first one I read from you that was an obvious effort to create a problem (that only exists if you have no common sense) in order to use said problem to change FS land manager policy or requirements to what YOU feel they should be.

This thread topic is BS that is why I don't mind pointing it out!
Shine:

Your answer is like our politicians. I need specifics, not a bunch of mumbo jumbo
What does having a broken ankle have to do with adopting a trail? You get your friends to do the work while you are healing. Start the ball rolling time is wasting.

#31 ·
TD

One quick question.

Knowing how new to the sport I am and asking me if I am going to adopt a trail, makes me wonder....Have you posed the same question to the likes of say, Johnny, Rama, Danger Dave, little Debbie, Cat or any other locals with the same condesending tone?

#33 ·
Hey, since we all know that TD is incapable of debate and will only divert questions like the politicians he mentions lets stay on topic.

Does any one have a good eggnog recipe? I tried making it once and it was a disaster. I think it might have been my bad technique. I might have put the eggs in too quick?

Also brandy or bourbon?

Help me improve my winter break user experience for the 70% of my friends that enjoy nog!

#34 ·
Hey, since we all know that TD is incapable of debate and will only divert questions like the politicians he mentions lets stay on topic.

Does any one have a good eggnog recipe? I tried making it once and it was a disaster. I think it might have been my bad technique. I might have put the eggs in too quick?

Also brandy or bourbon?

Help me improve my winter break user experience for the 70% of my friends that enjoy nog!
brandy or bourbon both work, but unlike a lot of mixed drinks where you can use cheap liquor, 'nog does not mask the harshness of a cheaper bottle. Chollaball sez save money with store bought nog and put it into a better liquor.

#43 ·
I really don't appreciate what you TD haters are doing to my very important thread. I go out with tourons from New York and Vancover BC to have a great ride on the Hogs and I come back to a bunch of Hot Chocolate and Egg Nog BS.

Ride'n'Shine goes for a ride on his bike in his front yard and breaks his angle and he comes up with some BS about not being able to be a trail boss on one of the great Sedona trails.

Ripnparadise is the only one that has posted that gets how the system should work. The only problem is he is from down under and the LM's in Sedona feel they have to do it differently. What a Stubborn Country! Thank you Ripnparadise for a short piece of sanity.

Ride'n'Shine I think a good trail for you to Adopt would be the Chapel trail. You can park your car right next to the trail, so when you get a walking cast you can access the trail very quickly. Right now the water diverters are filled with small rocks blocking the drainage ditches causing fast moving water to run down the trail and cause accelerated erosion.

I certainly would have cleared the rocks if I was given the OK to do so, but instead I have been asked by the head FS representative to email her about trail concerns, so that they can either send out a qualified rock remover or tell me to FO.

No wonder our country is broke.

TD

#45 ·
P:

This is what I think:

The next time you ride an outstanding trail be sure to realize the blood, sweat and tears that have gone into shaping the earth for your enjoyment. And if you come across a crew of diggers hard at work, show your appreciation by thanking them and offering a few minutes of your help. It may be as little as moving some wood or packing out some trash, but the deed will not go unnoticed.

#46 ·
TD

I would HIGHLY suggest that you stop stalking me, I have seen you digging through my trash, and my neighbors are getting concerned. I have informed them that I am more than capable of defending myself and my family and now TD you are informed as well.

I have no interest in being a trail boss, helping a trail boss, or even getting involved with anything about trail work. When I was introduced to MTB while living in Sedona, it was never mentioned I was required to do trail work and correct me if I am mistaken but it still is not required now.

TD
Your first mistake with Sedona was your trail map. That really pissed off the wrong people at the FS.

Your second mistake with Sedona was admitting to the LEO you did unauthorized trail work.

I can only imagine what your third mistake will be, probably pissing off the wrong local.

This is Sedona not Moab, why are YOU pushing so hard to change it?

Why don't you take your money and buy a few square miles of land, take a shovel and insert it in your rectum, then while walking backwards bend over repeatedly until till you tire, rest, eat, repeat. This way you can build all the trail you want to for the masses and the whole time you are working you can see what a masterpiece your butt has made!!

Happy trails!!

#52 ·
TD

I would HIGHLY suggest that you stop stalking me, I have seen you digging through my trash, and my neighbors are getting concerned. I have informed them that I am more than capable of defending myself and my family and now TD you are informed as well.

I have no interest in being a trail boss, helping a trail boss, or even getting involved with anything about trail work. When I was introduced to MTB while living in Sedona, it was never mentioned I was required to do trail work and correct me if I am mistaken but it still is not required now.

TD
Your first mistake with Sedona was your trail map. That really pissed off the wrong people at the FS.

Your second mistake with Sedona was admitting to the LEO you did unauthorized trail work.

I can only imagine what your third mistake will be, probably pissing off the wrong local.

This is Sedona not Moab, why are YOU pushing so hard to change it?

Why don't you take your money and buy a few square miles of land, take a shovel and insert it in your rectum, then while walking backwards bend over repeatedly until till you tire, rest, eat, repeat. This way you can build all the trail you want to for the masses and the whole time you are working you can see what a masterpiece your butt has made!!

Happy trails!!
Ride'n'Shine:

I think you may have committed MTBR suicide with this post.

#54 ·
I have my custard chilling in the snow RIGHT NOW! In less than 15 minutes I will know if I made DELISH-NOG or I wasted 35min of my life. Just in case I ruined my home made NOG I also purchased store bought NOG so that my party goers will have a POSITIVE PARTY NOG EXPERIENCE!

#55 ·
here's what I think, as a Nog Boss as approved by Yuletide Service...

unless you rrrrrrrrealy fugged up the custard, the Yuletide gods smile upon those that embrace their surroundings for holiday cheer. They also shine down on risk aversion. Liquor and spices cover almost any mistake.

I once turned the nastiest batch of homebrew into delicious fruit lambic. But I sent an email to Debbie for approval first and had to wait 2 days. It actually made the sour better.

#61 ·
The NOG turned out great! I ended up using sailor Jerry's because it was on sale for $12! Off to the party to bring my NOG to the MASSES!

PS I packaged my NOG in a growler from The Mother Road brewery in flag. The next time you come up to flag stop in for some GREAT beer! There is also a GREAT bike shop next door that has GREAT coffee!

What a country!

Attachments

#72 ·
The NOG turned out great! I ended up using sailor Jerry's because it was on sale for $12! Off to the party to bring my NOG to the MASSES!

PS I packaged my NOG in a growler from The Mother Road brewery in flag. The next time you come up to flag stop in for some GREAT beer! There is also a GREAT bike shop next door that has GREAT coffee!

What a country!
M77

What a host!!!! Care taken with nog mixing, all the requirements fulfilled, staff properly trained, thirsty friends arrive with smiles created from notice of the guest list that doesn't include TD!!

What a country!!

#67 ·
TD

What was said in ANY conversation with her that I have had is between me and her and is none of your business. Unlike you TD I keep private conversations private!

If I was in her shoes, I wouldn't even give you a thought anymore. That's to be expected when you break the trust with an authority.

Obviously you're still butt-hurt over your banning, so don't take it out on those who were following the laws and decided to not do any unauthorized trail work!

Think about putting your passion to work where your able to, kinda like what you are doing now. Lets call this position "trail recon officer", the job could be to ride the trails and report to the FS trail conditions and areas of concern, for trails that are not adopted. This would keep you riding, while contributing. It's a long shot for ya though, I doubt they will allow you to participate in any fashion.

Though I do not share your notion that I have committed MTBR suicide, but if so, I'd rather that than Sedona MTB political suicide which you so proudly announced to everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.