Ouch, I am hot!

Penetrated In Bed Against My Will!

Sunday night I was penetrated in bed against my will. The evil cause of all this was some dude known as "Mr. Bark Scorpion."

At first I thought it was no big deal. A part of me even liked it. There was some tingling sensation around the penetration site, but after the initial pain of getting pierced, I felt as if the worst was over. Wrong! The pain, tingling and numbness got worse and worse. By morning I was a blob of tingling numbness and pain.

It was nasty. Scorpions are the worstest, evilest, nastiest yuckiness there is. Damn them to hell!!!!!
    I AM JUST A JERK

Just Joshin' ya!
    Yeah man, those things will mess you up. I bet you were feeling pretty cruddy today. Maybe it is time for me to call the exterminator. That scares me.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    Yeah man, those things will mess you up. I bet you were feeling pretty cruddy today. Maybe it is time for me to call the exterminator. That scares me.
    I feel half dead. The pain and most of the numbness are gone, but I feel like I did battle with a demon.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Pivotal figure
    After being in our current house for 5 years I just found a dead one about a month ago. Now I'm looking at the floor constantly, just waiting for that moment...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

wrecking crew
    Bummer, Dir! Hope you get better soon!

I hear that exterminators for use of scorpions is fairly ineffective. Scorpions breathe through paired openings (called stigmata or spiracles) situated on the underside of each of the last four broad segments of the abdominal exoskeleton. These openings allow air to enter and leave the internal lung-sacs. These book lungs are extensively folded and allow gas exchange to take place (they don't breathe as such just absorb oxygen through these book lungs). They can close off the openings when they come across poisons...for three weeks at a time. When their air tubes are closed, scorpions won’t breathe in any of the poison from an exterminator. At three weeks, they can open their spiracles and breathe again, so whatever poison is there won't be effective.

Best bet is to exterminate their food source which is the reason they are there in the first place. Crickets are their main food supply in houses, so get rid of those and you get rid of the scorpions. And add weatherstripping to seal the doors better.
    ~~~

banned
    My cat likes to hunt them, on the other hand the 85lb pit is absolutely frightened by them.

AKA shitbird
    I'm all sketchy about these little bastards too. A few weeks ago I was in the shower and found one on the shampoo bottle. Just the other day found one in my house on my camelpack. Both were alive and well....for a few seconds. Get better dude, sounds like no fun at all.
    JRA

My other ride is your mom
    I usually find them alive at the begening of the summer, looking to share my AC with me. In the winter, I usually find them dead in the corners of the house not used since last winter (boxes of winter gear, clothes, etc). +1 on the inefficiency to kill via extermination su talks about.....I found the best way was to go out with a black light each night in the summer and use a spatula to exterminate them. After about a week.....you start seeing less and less of them. After two weeks....it's tough to find one. Aside from that....it's satisfying and evil fun.

Scorp death

The point of extermination is not to kill the bastards, but to eliminate their food supply. No buffet, no reason to visit.

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    The point of extermination is not to kill the bastards, but to eliminate their food supply. No buffet, no reason to visit.
    Yup, that is pretty much what I said above...

"Best bet is to exterminate their food source which is the reason they are there in the first place. Crickets are their main food supply in houses, so get rid of those and you get rid of the scorpions."
    Last edited by su.ling~; 11-19-2008 at 09:48 AM.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Got any pics of the wound? Is it bad? I've heard they can be really bad...

A plethora of pinatas
    Bummer, I feel your pain! Same thing happend to me a few years ago. It took me a long time before I got a good nights sleep again. Benadryl was helpful for me to relieve some of post bite symptoms.
    Marty

mtbr member
    I have them too but I haven't seen one in weeks I figured they were dormant for the winter. Blacklight and a blowtorch : ) every other night

mtbr member

I'm the Evil Scopion Breeder!

Gary

Orange Yeti 575

Black light

Ouch. Sorry about the sting. I stepped on one several months back. They do really hurt. Since then I picked up a flash light style black light from ACE Hardware. It works great for lighting them up at night. On my periodic "patrols" I figured out that there is one section of fence that they come over in my backyard and regularly squash them there before they get into the house. The neighbor has a bug friendly plant on the other side that makes for happy scorpion hunting ground with all the crickets, etc. I have a relatively accessible stove air vent on that side of the house too, which is where I think they come in. I can't kill all the scorpions but knowing how they are getting in, I have closed the hole a little better and put some sticky bug traps down as a backup.

Wait, what!?
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeDubb
    OH hell no to THAT!

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Yup, that is pretty much what I said above...

"Best bet is to exterminate their food source which is the reason they are there in the first place. Crickets are their main food supply in houses, so get rid of those and you get rid of the scorpions."

Something else you can do is place DE (Diatanacious Earth) around the door and window jams/openings which is easily found at a pool supply store or by the pool pump. When a scorpion walks through DE it gets into the joints and it causes them to break down to the point they die.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeDubb
    Be careful on the squashing rounds people... the mothers carry the babies around on their backs like in the photo, but when the young are small you can't even see 'em. When you squash the mother, the little 'uns can go flying everywhere and you won't know until you the whole swarm is living in your house.

I got hit on my toe a while back... was numb for two weeks but didn't hurt too bad.
    Disclaimer: Bo does not actually know anything at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Only seen 1 scorpion in the 3 years I've lived in NW Arizona, the worst kind to get stung by, the small 1inch clear ones. Those buggers have the ability to shut down your respiratory system, scary!