slow uphill

New question here. Pemberton - Similar Trails?

Two questions for the locals:
    1. Aside from the elevation profile, how does Pemberton compare to the Old Pueblo course (ie for 24HOP)?
    2. What other trails in the Phoenix area are similar to Pemberton in terms of terrain, if any (ie BCT)?

Thanks,
    orangedog

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by orangedog
    1. Aside from the elevation profile, how does Pemberton compare to the Old Pueblo course (ie for 24HOP)?
    2. What other trails in the Phoenix area are similar to Pemberton in terms of terrain, if any (ie BCT)?

Thanks,
    orangedog
    i have been on pemberton many times. i am doing the 24 hr pueblo too. from what i have heard, i don't think they are alike. i am sure someone will post soon that has actually ridden both.

mx

mtbr member
    I heard Pemburnton was real flat and you could ride big gears.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by z rocks
    I heard Pemburnton was real flat and you could ride big gears.....
    pretty much. some parts sandy and some rocky, but overall pretty flat.

mx

slow uphill
    its a handful of miles gradual up, a handful of miles gradual down. the terrain is relatively smooth though - only a few mildly rocky areas, some sand, and the rest is hardpack, with maybe covering gravel here and there. I think the total elevation gain is around 700 ft, but I'm not sure of that.

I'm trying to find something comparable in terms of terrain - hardpack - because my wife is a beginner, and she really enjoyed pemberton. just enough challenge, but still easy enough to do a couple of laps.

also, I'm wondering if it is an acceptable proxy for 24HOP training. not so much from an elevation standpoint, but its only about a mile off so it is good for timing and routine development - that's my question, anyways.

mtbr member
    its a handful of miles gradual up, a handful of miles gradual down. the terrain is relatively smooth though - only a few mildly rocky areas, some sand, and the rest is hardpack, with maybe covering gravel here and there. I think the total elevation gain is around 700 ft, but I'm not sure of that.

I'm trying to find something comparable in terms of terrain - hardpack - because my wife is a beginner, and she really enjoyed pemberton. just enough challenge, but still easy enough to do a couple of laps.

also, I'm wondering if it is an acceptable proxy for 24HOP training. not so much from an elevation standpoint, but its only about a mile off so it is good for timing and routine development - that's my question, anyways.
    I've only ridden Pemberton about 3 times, but I'd say that is probably the best trail to ride to train for 24HIOP. The race course is very tame, and long (16 miles) with no extreme elevation changes, or technical stuff. The biggest challenges in my opinion are the last climb before the short decent back into town about mile 13 (it's about a two mile gradual climb that can take its toll on you if you either go out really hard and are out of gas, or if you are just tired) and the *****es, which are 5 very short, a very steep woopie de dos, but thankfully are at the very beginning of the course.

The fasters racers can usually do a lap in about an hour. Average time for a 5-person team is probably 1:15 to 1:30, so that gives you and idea of how fast they are going.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Don't believe the Hype...
    White Tanks Comp Loops?
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Thanks,
    orangedog
    I've ridden all of them you mentioned. Pemberton is similar to Old Pueblo in that it's not technical and the elevation gains are very moderate, except for the fire road in the beginning at OP there's no real hills that I can remember, oh yeah scratch that there's one mid way, but it's nothing major! It's all hard pack from what I remember, like Pem.

Pemberton doesn't have any singletrack- which Old Pueblo does have a little of. You could ride BCT and get in practice on singletrack stuff but other than singletrack, BCT and OP don't really compare.

Best bet - just go preride Old Pueblo!!! Then you'll know what you’re in store for.

Tiff

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    Best bet - just go preride Old Pueblo!!! Then you'll know what you’re in store for.

Tiff
    thanks for the input. preriding is definitely on the agenda, but probably not much more than a week in advance.

I don't think my wife would enjoy the technical stuff much, which makes pemberton nice. I'll look into white tanks comp loop, and also probably MSP.

Kathleen in AZ
    thanks for the input. preriding is definitely on the agenda, but probably not much more than a week in advance.

I don't think my wife would enjoy the technical stuff much, which makes pemberton nice. I'll look into white tanks comp loop, and also probably MSP.
    She might like some of the Hawes area trails. Both Hawes and Pemberton are on weathered granite which makes for fun smooth whoop-de-doo trails.