Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: pemberton loop

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jesterspaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    63

    pemberton loop

    I know this has been brought up before but I can't find the old thread. Okay so I'm really just too lazy to go through pages of posts. I'm going to McDowdell Mountain park tomorrow with a friend to ride Pemberton. I was looking for opinions on which direction was best, clockwise or counter clockwise. Any suggestions?
    I'm tired of chasing my dreams, I'm just gonna find out where they're going and hook up with them later!

  2. #2
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,047
    ccw, so take the trail that begins to the left of where you enter the parking lot by vehicle. Much better direction IMO.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jesterspaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    63

    CCW it is.

    Thanks for the info. I don't get out there too often, maybe 4 times in the nine years I've lived in the valley. It makes for a really long drive from the west side.
    I'm tired of chasing my dreams, I'm just gonna find out where they're going and hook up with them later!

  4. #4
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,047
    My annual pass ran out last week so I won't be going again for a while. It was a haul for me to, but lately I had been making the most out of it by leaving Pemperton and taking Dixie Mine out to the park's border, then go back to Pemperton. Pretty cool extension. It adds 10 miles, including a massive hill (10+ minutes) and some nice single track in a relatively remote area. Check out the new facilities, too.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterspaw
    I know this has been brought up before but I can't find the old thread. Okay so I'm really just too lazy to go through pages of posts. I'm going to McDowdell Mountain park tomorrow with a friend to ride Pemberton. I was looking for opinions on which direction was best, clockwise or counter clockwise. Any suggestions?
    My preference is to head east from the trail head about a mile, and do the competitive loops. I find Permberton about as much fun as a root canal.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1
    My annual pass ran out last week so I won't be going again for a while. It was a haul for me to, but lately I had been making the most out of it by leaving Pemperton and taking Dixie Mine out to the park's border, then go back to Pemperton. Pretty cool extension. It adds 10 miles, including a massive hill (10+ minutes) and some nice single track in a relatively remote area. Check out the new facilities, too.

    How do you take the Dixie and get back onto Pemberton from a different route Ryder1?
    Mech13

  7. #7
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,683
    I know Pemby gets a bad rap, but for a mellow ride with great scenery you can not beat it. I like CCW better and always end up coming down Bluff. That route is 13.25 miles on my computer, but is a quick ride and I enjoy it. I only go CW during the summer night rides, which should start up in May or June?

  8. #8
    Another Broken Spoke
    Reputation: sdbelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    149
    Interesting...I'm a fan of clockwise myself. Especially if the double track section is really sandy...going up that section when it is sandy is very unfun.

    But personally, I much prefer an out-n-back from Pemberton to Dixie Mine. Take Pemberton the Clockwise route for about 5 miles, to the Dixie Mine sign. Take that as far as you like. I usually turn around at the top of Windgate Pass...but hey, that's just me.

    If the above route is too short, start at the competitive loops, ride the long loop until you hop the fence of the service road. Connect to Pemberton from the long loop via the service road, then on to Dixie Mine and finally Windgate Pass. If you have energy on the return, complete the Long loop.

  9. #9
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,047
    Originally Posted by Ryder1
    ... taking Dixie Mine out to the park's border, then go back to Pemperton. Pretty cool extension. It adds 10 miles, including a massive hill (10+ minutes) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mech13
    How do you take the Dixie and get back onto Pemberton from a different route Ryder1?
    I don't know of a different route back to Pemperton. I'm pretty sure there isn't one.

    Perhaps I wasn't clear - I would leave Pemperton and take Dixie about 5 miles until reaching the park's border and return to Pemperton the same way, then resume back to the parking lot

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    38
    Thanks Ryder1, I did not understand. BTW, I am a fan of CW. I prefer to do my rock climbing while warming up and do the fast whoop-dee's at the end.
    Mech13

  11. #11
    im4Gsus
    Reputation: kaboose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbelt
    Connect to Pemberton from the long loop via the service road...
    steve, where is that service road on the long loop that connects to pemberton? is it at the top of the south ridge (after the long, rocky climb)? i've seen a trail/service road up there and tried to follow it a long time ago but the people i was with didnt want to explore.

    tia
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

  12. #12
    Another Broken Spoke
    Reputation: sdbelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    steve, where is that service road on the long loop that connects to pemberton? is it at the top of the south ridge (after the long, rocky climb)? i've seen a trail/service road up there and tried to follow it a long time ago but the people i was with didnt want to explore.
    On this map:

    http://www.mbaa.net/images/stories/m...e-track-3d.pdf

    You can see the gate indicated. It's right beneath the word "and" in the Box labeled McDowell Competitve Track. On the Long loop, you have that first big wash you cross out of the parking lot, then you climb some, and eventually get to a second somewhat steeper climb. At the top of this second climb, before you go back down the little descent with the left hand turn, is the service road that you cross, with the gate across it. That service road is now used to create the Marathon loop as part of the MBAA series:

    http://www.mbaa.net/images/stories/m...20meltdown.jpg

    I've been using it for years to do a 35 mile quadruple loop out at the McDowells: Sport, Tech, Long, and Pemberton. But with Dixie Mine and Coachwhip, I prefer the climb up to the top of Windgate a lot more now.

  13. #13
    In the rear with the beer
    Reputation: bigdudecycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,315
    Another vote for Clockwise. makes the last couple miles a lot more fun
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •