Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7

    Pemberton Dusk to Dawn 2013 - Solo rider Support suggestions

    I'm planning on taking on this race as a solo rider and have a question about self support. What is the best way to store, and replenish stuff like spare water / food/ jersey and anything else needed?

    I would also be interested in teaming with any other Solo riders to make support easier. I've typically been able to get on the trail 1 - 2 times per week and every other weekend. Although now the local race series seem to be taking up some of the available weekends before Dec so I'll be spending more weekdays on Pemberton than weekends.

    DCB suggests setting setting up a mule or 10x10 area on Friday, but I'm not sure exactly how to do this. I would like to avoid parking a distance away on Sat and have to drag a whole bunch of stuff in. I figure I will take in one of those lite chars for a rest during the day. My skill level will give me about 4 laps during the day. Currently I always ride two counter clockwise at about 1.5 hrs each.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    509
    search through the endurance forum. tons of info there about self-support and strategy. generally you want to come up with a plan where you don't have to think too much coming into the pit. lay out food and bottles by each lap. same thing with clothing. makes it a lot easier to lube your chain, grab what you need and go.

  3. #3
    Happy Trails
    Reputation: Scott In MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    945
    I solo'd this race last year SLOWLY ... I got a pretty good parking spot on race day, then after each lap I just pedaled up to my truck, got off my bike, stretched out, re-loaded my bottle from big igloo cooler, briefly considered eating Chipoltle burritos instead of peanut-butter pretzels and Honey Stinger waffles, ate handful of peanut butter pretzels and a Honey Stinger waffle ... then rode off. I surely wasted time in transitions and plan to do better this year ... would like to get some double loops without stopping rather than stopping for each loop ... but at the end of the day I quit before the race deadline came up. If you are only going to ride 4-5 laps, just arrive early on race day, grab a parking spot, and set your stash up inside your car. That's what I did and it worked fine. I rode six laps last year and want seven this year.

  4. #4
    Black and Sticky
    Reputation: Bituman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    493
    Wanted to bump this thread again and get clarification. The explanation of solo parking on race day on DCB web site is somewhat confusing. As a solo rider, will I be able to park my vehicle at or near the Pemberton trailhead on race day and use that as my support stop between laps? Scott's post above re: his experience last year suggests yes. But the DCB explanation has me confused as to whether this will be allowed.

    Thanks for helping me out.

    Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,907

    Pemberton Dusk to Dawn 2013 - Solo rider Support suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    Wanted to bump this thread again and get clarification. The explanation of solo parking on race day on DCB web site is somewhat confusing. As a solo rider, will I be able to park my vehicle at or near the Pemberton trailhead on race day and use that as my support stop between laps? Scott's post above re: his experience last year suggests yes. But the DCB explanation has me confused as to whether this will be allowed.

    Thanks for helping me out.

    Bob
    I was able to park on the course when I soloed it three years ago. But I can't remember if there was a dedicated solo section. Something tells me there was not. I think I read someplace that there are more soloists than teams (I might be wrong about that) which would make it difficult to reserve a section just for soloists. That said, the lot is small enough to that you won't be more than 20 seconds from the course.

    If you are that concerned and think you have a chance of being competitive. And feel every second counts, I suggest you get there early and get a good spot.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  6. #6
    Black and Sticky
    Reputation: Bituman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    493
    Not trying to get close to be hyper competitive. Actually I'm just going out to relax, have fun, challenge myself a little, and finish healthy and happy. But unexpected family obligations the day before have complicated things. As a consequence, I want to be able to drive in early on race day, park in reasonable proximity to the course, and use my vehicle for my support; pretty much like what you and Scott describe. Sounds like that will be okay. Thanks much CO.

    Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7
    They have updates the DCB site with additional details about parking, and solo info. It does look like they have plans to allow solos to park on the trailhead lot, keeping in mind the spots fill up. At least that is how I read the info. And if you have the chance to get there Friday, setup some type of tent in a parking spot as a reservation.
    I'm also just looking to relax, ride 4 laps, and tell myself 60 miles is no big deal. And watch the insane racers barrel past me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    Not trying to get close to be hyper competitive. Actually I'm just going out to relax, have fun, challenge myself a little, and finish healthy and happy. But unexpected family obligations the day before have complicated things. As a consequence, I want to be able to drive in early on race day, park in reasonable proximity to the course, and use my vehicle for my support; pretty much like what you and Scott describe. Sounds like that will be okay. Thanks much CO.

    Bob

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SSdirt29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    396
    What I've done in the past at 12 and 24 hr races with no good solo area is set a big cooler and bag next to the course somewhere you can restock without leaving the course. Gallon jugs with whatever goes in the camelback and premade bottles of energy/protein drink. In the bag, lube, tubes, clothes etc.

    You'll also be less likely to wander into your sleeping bag during the race.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tysonnemb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    832
    I did it last year as a duo. The parking lot that is on the trail, with the ramada and what not, is where people parked and camped overnight. My partner camped there and we used his truck for support. I got there the morning of the race and had to park in a different lot, and other solo riders were parking there as well, upset about not parking on the trail. The different lot was a good distance from the first one. If I remember correctly, the race stars on the road going up hill, and the start line is the second lot. I imagine camping is the best way to ensure you have a support car.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

  10. #10
    DCB
    Reputation: DCB Extreme Adventures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    31
    Howdy all,

    I'll try to address the parking and logistics concerns. The Pemberton trailhead lot has very limited in space, and fills up quickly. What we've done is limited the entries so that only one space per solo/team is available (roughly 200 sq. ft.). That means one car, one tent, one small RV (like a pop-up) per team. We fill the lot from the back and work forward on Friday. The trail runs around the venue, so there's plenty of on-trail access for solo's. We have a feed-zone next to the timing tent that we supply pretzels, gels and water/gatorade.

    If I was to do this race, here's how I would plan it out. Leave work with all my kit for the event, drive in and park where I can, set-up a pop-up/small tent against my car, set-up a nice campsite and visit with the folks I'll be riding with the next day; maybe even do a night lap for grins. That way, I'm not wrestling with the $hit-$how race morning.

    Racing with a team, have someone do the set-up and bring all the race-day needs and secure a spot. The other team members will have to park in the overflow lot (next to the start at the entrance to the park); then ride in (roughly 1.8 miles).

    Race start is at the entrance to the park.

    We will have a shuttle running all race day for those folks who have friends who want to come out and visit/check it out. The shuttle runs from the overflow lot to the Pemberton trail crossing (which is 1/4 mile off the venue), an easy walk.

    Hope this helps,

    DCB

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7
    What is the first lap course route? From the entrance of the park, up the road to Pemberton trailhead? Or past and to the second, north most road crossing then onto the trail?

    Thanks




    Quote Originally Posted by DCB Extreme Adventures View Post
    Howdy all,

    I'll try to address the parking and logistics concerns. The Pemberton trailhead lot has very limited in space, and fills up quickly. What we've done is limited the entries so that only one space per solo/team is available (roughly 200 sq. ft.). That means one car, one tent, one small RV (like a pop-up) per team. We fill the lot from the back and work forward on Friday. The trail runs around the venue, so there's plenty of on-trail access for solo's. We have a feed-zone next to the timing tent that we supply pretzels, gels and water/gatorade.

    If I was to do this race, here's how I would plan it out. Leave work with all my kit for the event, drive in and park where I can, set-up a pop-up/small tent against my car, set-up a nice campsite and visit with the folks I'll be riding with the next day; maybe even do a night lap for grins. That way, I'm not wrestling with the $hit-$how race morning.

    Racing with a team, have someone do the set-up and bring all the race-day needs and secure a spot. The other team members will have to park in the overflow lot (next to the start at the entrance to the park); then ride in (roughly 1.8 miles).

    Race start is at the entrance to the park.

    We will have a shuttle running all race day for those folks who have friends who want to come out and visit/check it out. The shuttle runs from the overflow lot to the Pemberton trail crossing (which is 1/4 mile off the venue), an easy walk.

    Hope this helps,

    DCB

  12. #12
    The Next 100 Miler
    Reputation: MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    232
    If I set up a cooler and a box of clothes, socks, etc. in the transition area on Friday, can I count on it all being there on Saturday? I will be camping up in the campground and won't have a car in the transition area to lock things up over night.

  13. #13
    Go go gadget bike!
    Reputation: timothyclaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    32
    Take a look at this pic... the course outlines the parking lot so I recommend getting there early and reserving a spot right along the course. That way, you simply ride up to your spot, grab what you need for the next lap, and then continue through. You can go reserve a spot by dropping off your stuff on Friday (nobody's going to mess with it) and then bring the lightweight stuff on Saturday morning. Or just go camp in your spot... that's way more fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pemberton Dusk to Dawn 2013 - Solo rider Support suggestions-pemberton-trailhead.jpg  


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,138
    I'll be getting there early Friday morning to set up camp for my team. You're more than welcome to leave things w/ me.

  15. #15
    In the rear with the beer
    Reputation: bigdudecycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,317
    One idea is to try to make some friends when you drop your stuff off and ask them to keep an eye on your stuff. Generally people are pretty accomodating, especially for solo riders. Since the course runs around the parking lot, if you can get your stuff anywhere in the lot, its pretty accessible. Even if you stuff is in the middle of the lot, its just seconds from the actual course.

    Biggest challenge I have always faced is teams grabbing all the prime spots, even if they are designated for solo, since they commonly have someone able to get up there early the day before. But If you just have a big box of support items, I'm willing to bet many of the teams would be able to help you out, set your stuff in their area...and maybe even act as an impromptu support crew!

    Ride safely and enjoy!!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

  16. #16
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,525
    The few years I did this solo, I had no issues at all with leaving my gear in the solo area. I did get there early on saturday morning and got my car down there and dropped my gear. Have fun!!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Anyone with experience doing this solo have any tips on what worked good for them nutrition wise to last the whole day and to prevent cramping?

  18. #18
    Go go gadget bike!
    Reputation: timothyclaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    32

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesisnight View Post
    Anyone with experience doing this solo have any tips on what worked good for them nutrition wise to last the whole day and to prevent cramping?
    Two words: PB and J.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  20. #20
    The Next 100 Miler
    Reputation: MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesisnight View Post
    Anyone with experience doing this solo have any tips on what worked good for them nutrition wise to last the whole day and to prevent cramping?
    This is my first long solo event and I've been doing research and some testing for stomach sensitivity. This is my plan & thinking, who knows if it is good.

    Target calorie intake is 300 per hour.
    Target lap time on my single speed is 1:30 (slow I know).
    Calories intake per lap = 450

    1/2 BP&J sandwich in transition area = 170 calories
    3 Gu's per lap = 300 calories
    Drinks = 1.5 liters water in hydration pack with 2 Gu Brew Electrolyte tablets (refilled each lap)
    5 gallons of good tasting bottled water in my transition stash

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    This is my first long solo event and I've been doing research and some testing for stomach sensitivity. This is my plan & thinking, who knows if it is good.

    Target calorie intake is 300 per hour.
    Target lap time on my single speed is 1:30 (slow I know).
    Calories intake per lap = 450

    1/2 BP&J sandwich in transition area = 170 calories
    3 Gu's per lap = 300 calories
    Drinks = 1.5 liters water in hydration pack with 2 Gu Brew Electrolyte tablets (refilled each lap)
    5 gallons of good tasting bottled water in my transition stash


    Thanks for the reply, I was planning on doing something similar to this just without the pack (my shoulders would be pretty sore after 10 hours and I figure I wont need more than a bottle a lap plus its easier to swap out versus filling a pack, although I know I wont be competitive and happy if I just finish). I will probably make some sandwiches with peanut butter, honey and banana too. I also got some honey stinger waffles to supplement with the sandwiches and gel/shot blocks.

    That drink supplement looks interesting as well but I will need some sort of food with 10hrs but don't want my stomach to work too hard digesting so any advice I appreciate.

  22. #22
    The Next 100 Miler
    Reputation: MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    232
    I should have clarified - My 1/2 PB&J is per lap. I'm shooting for 6 laps, so 3 sandwiches total for the race.

  23. #23
    How much further ???
    Reputation: Douger-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,032
    I have recently gotten into endurance riding and can share a few things I have found.

    1) If you are asking about nutrition this late in the game without integrating your nutrition needs into your training you are in for a crap shoot. Nutritional needs are different for everyone so while I or others may give you advise you needed to be training with the fuels you plan to bring.

    2) There are three things you need to address. 1) water for hydration. 2) electrolytes (prevents cramping) 3) calorie intake (fuel)

    For me Id shoot for no more than 25-28 oz of water per hour. About 400mg - 500mg of Na per hour (this varies widely per person but I cramp like a mother f'er). About 300-400 calories per hour. (weight specific but Im 195lbs)

    Id get the Salt Stick capsules if you are a cramper.

    Good luck
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

  24. #24
    Always a good day to ride
    Reputation: bik_ryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    117
    Any word on the course? Their website & map still shows that we are going up the sandy fire road. I saw a post somewhere that they were going to use the new Pemberton section.

    So is it the new Pemberton climb or up the fire road?

  25. #25
    The Next 100 Miler
    Reputation: MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    232
    I believe the fire road is closed to biking. At least it is around the 150th St entrance where I usually come in to the park.

    Quote Originally Posted by bik_ryder View Post
    Any word on the course? Their website & map still shows that we are going up the sandy fire road. I saw a post somewhere that they were going to use the new Pemberton section.

    So is it the new Pemberton climb or up the fire road?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dawn to Dusk, Who's in?
    By dcbAZ in forum Arizona
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM
  2. Dawn To Dusk, SOLO SS OPEN SPOT
    By dombonic in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM
  3. Dawn 'til Dusk?
    By Rovertd in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 10:08 AM
  4. Dawn 'til Dusk Registration
    By 24HITEF in forum Utah
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2012, 10:17 AM
  5. Dawn 2 Dusk at Pemberton Course Change
    By WhiskersOfDeath in forum Arizona
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 08:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •