Thread: Pass Mtn ?'s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Pass Mtn ?'s.

My wife used to be a rather good technical rider (east coast, mud, wet roots/rocks) but has not rode in a few years.
    She still has as her only bike a 2.5" travel x/c race bike. (She likes Pemberton, used to be able to clean the long/tech loop at McDowell and used to do just fine on desert classic out to the water tank and back)
    I'm looking to ride out there, but, don't want my wife to be discouraged... not even a bit.
    She's a trooper as far as girly-girls go, but she's no tom-boy.

From the video's I've seen, I'd not hesitate to run my x/c hardtail racebike (ok, been 15 years or more since I actually raced )out there... but... kinda thinking Pemberton is better until she gets her balance/shifting back on par.

Thoughts?
    My bikes, Slayer 70 and Switch 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I really enjoyed the ride around clockwise to the saddle. I was on a 6.7 travel reign when I did it and the tech downhill was fun but wasnt as awesome as id hoped. I think I might have had more fun heading back around CCW from the saddle. I said i wouldnt go back until I had an XC bike and i do plan on returning with my 4" trance. I think it would be much more fun. Id ride with her around to the saddle then go back whence you came

Bloodied but Unbowed
    It is mostly XC-ish by AZ standards with a little bit more gnarly stuff (steeper rocky drops) on the South CW portion. Even walking that little bit would be no biggie. Sounds like she and ye are well equipped for the trek.

Edited to correct the CCW typo -- meant CW.
    Last edited by DesertCrawler; 07-15-2011 at 08:50 PM.

EDR
    Going CW is the route. There is a lot more climbing (a lot more) than anything at DC. The drop down the backside can be walked no problem but then it gets quite rocky for a while. Although not too techie by AZ standards it's best tackled at speed. More timid riders will go very slow, which makes it even harder.

I suggest you climb up to the saddle at the highest point and evaluate from there. Turn around at that point and make an out and back out of it. I've never done that but I'd bet it's great fun going back the way you just climbed.

dirt visionary
    I would go to Hawes first then attack pass mt another time. The climb is relentless not bad but doesn't let up much and as mentioned much more than the comp loops or pemberton.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i'm politely requesting that you revise your name to shorthairmike H to avoid any possible confusion

mtbr member
    I second taking her to Hawes firs. Pass mountain is mostly no big deal, but has a few sections that can be demanding. I usually run it CCW myself, occasionally CW if I happen to be coming into Usery from Wild Horse. As long as she is comfortable with a long stretch of loose baby heads, shell do fine, but if she is coming off pemberton or the tech loop at McDowells, then you should break her in.
    Check my pulse...

banned
    Jun 2011
    Dudes, Hawes? For her? Stay in the flats till she gets her legs.
    The climb to mine shaft will make her go back to the couch.

K-Trail would be great. Long climbs, fast technical, and a nice trail down to the car from Quartz ridge.

Only hard part, finding the trails. VERY poorly marked.

Yo Phil is a great guide...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I suggest you climb up to the saddle at the highest point and evaluate from there. Turn around at that point and make an out and back out of it. I've never done that but I'd bet it's great fun going back the way you just climbed.
    This is a good suggestion. I've done an out and back to the saddle a couple times and its a fun ride. But like others have said there is no comparison to pemberton, comp loops or DC.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by AzMntBkr1 View Post
    Hawes is a decent sized system ..There is plenty to ride without going all the way down to climb up to the shaft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzMntBkr1 View Post
    Plenty of easy trails at Hawes

Usery has really flat smooth trails too..
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well, I chickened out and took her to Pemberton, and, she didn't bonk (matter of fact rode without stopping), but she did go to bed when we got home.

The comment about letting her get her legs struck a chord.

While shorthairedMike does apply (1/16" long where there is any hair) I'm kinda simple and am gonna stick with Mike H.
    My bikes, Slayer 70 and Switch 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    Well, I chickened out and took her to Pemberton, and, she didn't bonk (matter of fact rode without stopping), but she did go to bed when we got home.
    Bottom line, if she aint happy, you aint happy! I dragged my GF on enough "death march" rides to know better by now...I prefer our rides to have happy endings myself...
    Check my pulse...

dirt visionary
    I like Happy endings also

I love bike!
    Pemberton and Pass Mtn is like comparing apples to oranges IMO. Pass Mtn is much more demanding in every aspect. Though not too advanced there are longish sections especially on the east side of Pass Mtn that would really frustrate a rider just trying to get back into the game. Many advanced riders get into trouble either hurting themselves or their bike on this trail. I'd definitely try and tackle the Hawes system first as there are a few sections that would be a good challenge even for an intermediate rider.