Thread: Pass Mtn. Loop

I am Walt

Pass Mtn. Loop

I'm interested in the forum's thoughts and experiences on the Pass Mtn. loop out by Usery Park.

I think it's a GREAT ride - requires a little bit of everything. Going clockwise, I have not made it down the one section past the saddle - the steep part into a switchback.

I've done it counterclockwise once and it sucked going up to that saddle. Much better ride the other way.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Flying Wombat took me out there once. I thought it was a great ride. Fun, variation, pretty, good workout, not too many people. If I recall correctly, the airborn kiwi, I mean Aussie (what the hell is the difference anyway?), cleared it going clockwise. I of course, being a Flying Pussi, didn't even try.

I really enjoyed the scenery and isolation of this ride. Two loops would be a great workout.
    I AM JUST A JERK

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Flying Wombat took me out there once. I thought it was a great ride. Fun, variation, pretty, good workout, not too many people. If I recall correctly, the airborn kiwi, I mean Aussie (what the hell is the difference anyway?), cleared it going clockwise. I of course, being a Flying Pussi, didn't even try.

I really enjoyed the scenery and isolation of this ride. Two loops would be a great workout.
    Counter-clockwise is about as much fun as being hit in the taint with a mallet (going up to the saddle), but I enjoyed the fast descent on the back side on the counter-clockwise loop.

Haven't done it the other way. And last time I did it, it was in April and was already too hot. Definitely will be doing it this winter.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Ixnay on the Assmountainpay.

Hey speaking of great rides...

South Mountain RULES! Yes indeed. All the riding you'll ever want or need to do is on South Mountain. Well, and there's Phx Mtn Preserve, and Hawes, Sedona, Flag. Yes indeed. It's all there. Enjoy!

banned
    Dec 2003

Here you go...

Quote Originally Posted by kAZ
    Ixnay on the Assmountainpay.

Hey speaking of great rides...

South Mountain RULES! Yes indeed. All the riding you'll ever want or need to do is on South Mountain. Well, and there's Phx Mtn Preserve, and Hawes, Sedona, Flag. Yes indeed. It's all there. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am Walt
    Here's a couple of pics. Towards the north side of the back side of the loop. The bike pictured was my original Diamondback that has since had the frame crack. Diamondback replaced it and it is now my backup bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Here's a couple of pics. Towards the north side of the back side of the loop. The bike pictured was my original Diamondback that has since had the frame crack. Diamondback replaced it and it is now my backup bike.

You're the guy!!!! (I think) Let me guess Team Issue Easton Tubing and it cracked at the machined part of the stays....Same thing happened to mine. I just took my bike back to the shop in Tucson to see what I''l get. What frame did DB give you?

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riggse
    What? You don't like S.Mtn?

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I'm interested in the forum's thoughts and experiences on the Pass Mtn. loop out by Usery Park.
    I ride Pass Mtn 1-2 times a week. It's probably my favorite ride, and not just because I can ride it from my house. I live just south of the park, so I usually enter at the McKellips/Crismon entrance. (Even riding in I always pitch my $1.)

Since I ride it a lot, I ride it different ways.

Looping CW is basic. I get off the bike in a few places on the way up, and I get off of it on the bottom of the white escarpment, plus, lately, the trail right under the escarpment is too rugged for me to ride. From my house it's 14.3 miles around and it usually takes me 2.5 hrs to ride it.

I loop it CCW occasionally. There are some very challenging loose rocky wash climbs going that way, but they are rideable. Then at the escarpment it's a kind of grueling hike-a-bike, but coming down from the saddle going CCW is outstanding fun.

Sometimes I ride either way as an out and back. It's longest to go CW and back. That's a fun ride. I've also ridden CCW almost to the escarpment, then turned around and ridden CW all the way to the saddle, then turned around and ridden back. IIRC, that was about 18 miles.

Then there's hooking Pass Mtn up with Wild Horse to Hawes. I haven't done that fully yet. The longest I took it was to go up PM CW to the wash on the northwest side that goes down to Usery Pass Rd., then down the road to Wild Horse, out to the Hawes saddle, and back the same way. IIRC that was 24 miles. A buddy did whole thing from Hawes, looping it CCW to the saddle, out Twisted/Wild Horse to Usery, up the wash trail to PM, CW around PM back to the wash, then back to Hawes and continue CCW on Mine; over 30 miles.

Anyway, Pass Mtn is da shizzle in my book.

mr. wonderful
    i agree! a great lollypop ride starts at TRW (i understand a part of this section is closed now), going up hawes, over to the mines, linking twisted sister and wild horse over to usery pass road, connecting with pass mountain trail counter clockwise, back down to the tip top of hawes, and ripping back to the car. i think its about 30 miles with a great range of riding: bit of climbing, fun twisty trails, fun, marginally techy, ups on the north side of pass, fun, marginally techy, down on the east side of pass, fun fast rippin down back to car down hawes. this is truly a sleeper ride that ranks with just about anything in arizona.

banned
    Dec 2003
    What? You don't like S.Mtn?
    I love it. My point was that the question wasn't about South Mountain, it was about Pass Mountain. If he wanted to know about South (or any other trails for that matter) he would have asked about them.

I am Doctor Remulak
    FYI, It's closer to 38 miles round trip. A bunch of us did this exact ride about a year and half ago. Big fun. It would be cool to do this loop and have a support vehicle in the parking lot for food and water refills.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    i agree! a great lollypop ride starts at TRW (i understand a part of this section is closed now), going up hawes, over to the mines, linking twisted sister and wild horse over to usery pass road, connecting with pass mountain trail counter clockwise, back down to the tip top of hawes, and ripping back to the car. i think its about 30 miles with a great range of riding: bit of climbing, fun twisty trails, fun, marginally techy, ups on the north side of pass, fun, marginally techy, down on the east side of pass, fun fast rippin down back to car down hawes. this is truly a sleeper ride that ranks with just about anything in arizona.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riggse
    I love it. My point was that the question wasn't about South Mountain, it was about Pass Mountain. If he wanted to know about South (or any other trails for that matter) he would have asked about them.
    Um... it was a joke. I thought the winky was the international symbol for... winking...

At any rate, yeah, PM is a great ride. Seems to be a bit under a lot of folks' radar, especially compared to its neighbor, Hawes.

banned
    Dec 2003
    Um... it was a joke. I thought the winky was the international symbol for... winking...

At any rate, yeah, PM is a great ride. Seems to be a bit under a lot of folks' radar, especially compared to its neighbor, Hawes.
    I obviously missed the "winky"...

I lean like a cholo!

I love pASS mountin'

I love (p)ASS Mountin'!!!! Like some of you hiding out there, I like it both ways! (clockwise, or counter)
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...