No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Pass Mountain, Sunday morning 9.9.12

Not sure how many of the NCC regulars are going to show, but I'm going to ride Pass Mountain Sunday morning (9.9.12). I'll be at the horse staging area at 0600. This will be a CCW ride, so it's a pretty technical climb.

Pace is social, meaning it's not a race. Slow-ish on the climbs, but we'll be blazing on the downs.

Post up if you want to ride.

dirt visionary
    Post up a ride report as I am sure the trail will provide many new obstacles with yesterdays rain ..Torrential amounts of rain in short order ..I am right down the road but heading to the pines tomorrow but am curious on the damage if any as there are many areas that can handle large volumes of water that was produced yesterday. Enjoy the chunk for me
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Wasn't aware it rained that much out there. Should be interesting.

Looks like only three riders, so if anyone's interested, come on out and join in.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Nearly 150 views and no one wanted to ride? Funny.

Regardless, Dsittman, BigOMike and I had an awesome ride this morning. Pass Mountain really got shredded by the recent rains. Riding it CCW is pretty difficult at the best of times. I'd say the trail is at least 30% more difficult now. I think every grain of sand/dirt on the south side was washed out between the babyheads.

Even the north side was sketch and washed out.

Super-fun and challenging, though, and the weather was absolute perfection.

Shovel Ready
    If I were not so slow I would have gave it a shot. Heading over to PMP to test out a Hero HD.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

No Clue Crew
    Yeah, the trails were decimated...

The ride started off nice enough until Dave's massive quads snapped his chain clean in half!

Killing some time while they play with the chain and trying out the new P&S...

From the saddle...

The SE section is tougher than it has ever been due to the erosion. Luckily, the sun stayed behind the clouds until we got to the first saddle. Then it popped out and started to get a little warm. But, by Phoenix standards for September is was the nicest day I've seen. A constant breeze kept the sweat on you cooling you nicely.

The rest of the way around the mountain was brutal. It's difficult on a good day getting anything resembling traction on that sandstone. When the trail is full of debri, washed out, eroded, and rutted like it is now it proved to be exceptionally difficult. I mean, I know it's dirt and asking for rubber to stick to dirt is like hoping money will fall outta trees but I like to think I can get traction occasionally. That sandstone is worthless for traction. Add to that the penalty on the right and it's not a comfortable ride from the first saddle back to the lot.

But, it was a good ride. I didn't fall over...

dirt visionary
    thanks for report I had a feeling it would be torn up
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    I rode PM CW last weekend. The descent from the pass was mostly "streambed" last weekend from previous rains. After Friday's rains, it must have been nothing but bowling balls and babyheads this morning.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It was. Very, very challenging.

mtbr member
    I rode the trail last night starting out about 5pm for a CCW run. The rains changed up the trail dramatically. It is more like what I remember Pass Mountain being like some years ago. It seemed a little too well groomed last year.

It's going to be some great riding during the cool season this year..I'm sure by mid season it will get knocked into shape. The ruts in the sandstone will lose their edges pretty quick, and all the loose medium chunk will get pushed over and let a line develop.

I'm really glad I kept the 170mm cranks on my bike. I wasn't enjoying them so much until I rode PM and remembered why I installed them. Only two crashes, slight blood loss and no cactus mishaps. Good ride.
    Check my pulse...

I love bike!
    Nice action shots Mike. You really captured my chain breaking skillz to the max . I'm actually kinda glad that chain snapped. It's always seemed kinda flimsy and just bothered me for some reason. I think it's a SRAM X7 that only lasted me about 4-5 months. Had an X9 before and that thing lasted at least a year. Anyone have recommendations? Sounds like the KMC (I think that's what they are called) chains are pretty nice?

Pass was definitely gnarlier than I ever recall. I usually get kinda bored on the DH headin CCW but it was a different animal yesterday. I was trying to ride everywhere except on the trail . I still prefer the chunk fest headin CW down the SE side. That woulda been interesting to ride yesterday to say the least.

"No Clue Crew"
    Wish I could of made this one. The weather was NICE ..................Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    Nice action shots Mike. You really captured my chain breaking skillz to the max . I'm actually kinda glad that chain snapped. It's always seemed kinda flimsy and just bothered me for some reason. I think it's a SRAM X7 that only lasted me about 4-5 months. Had an X9 before and that thing lasted at least a year. Anyone have recommendations? Sounds like the KMC (I think that's what they are called) chains are pretty nice?

Pass was definitely gnarlier than I ever recall. I usually get kinda bored on the DH headin CCW but it was a different animal yesterday. I was trying to ride everywhere except on the trail . I still prefer the chunk fest headin CW down the SE side. That woulda been interesting to ride yesterday to say the least.

KMC "Z" chains are pretty tough..I installed a new one recenlty though and a few links froze up on the first ride..strange, I always had great luck with KMC's and never broke one. I've broken many a SRAM/Shimano chain..the pins pull right out. I ended up using an X7 chain because DNA had one on hand (it does shift noticably better though)

I wonder who defaced this rock..very uncool...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pass Mountain, Sunday morning 9.9.12-img_0765.jpg  

Pass Mountain, Sunday morning 9.9.12-img_0775.jpg  

Pass Mountain, Sunday morning 9.9.12-img_0772.jpg  

Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    [ Anyone have recommendations? Sounds like the KMC (I think that's what they are called) chains are pretty nice?

Hey Dave! sounds like you had a perfect riding adventure I recommend a plain old shimano XT chain. crazy strong and reliable. my personal favorite. works great with my sram derailleur and cassette. use your sram power link to connect and ride happy.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!