Addicted to 2 wheels

PapaDuro - 1st Beerduro at Papago - Friday, 4/28, show @ 6:16, pedal @ 6:30

The first Beerduro at Papago will be on Friday, April 28th, Show by 6:16, pedal at 6:30. Finish by 10ish.

Staging at Gavin Parking Lot (opposite direction as turning in for the zoo)

4-5 tests and 10 miles. Follow the flour markers in the spider trails. The course will have some chunk and some flow. There will be some technical Mulligans on the rocks and a jump Mulligan in the jump park. There will be a beer/beverage segment towards the end.

There will also be game element at some point. One foot, balance curb, or something else.

More details to come and staging may change the staging area. Ideas welcome. Really excited about the course.
    Last edited by SugarHigh; 1 Day Ago at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    The first Beerduro at Papago will be on Friday, April 28th, Show by 6:16, pedal at 6:30. Finish by 10ish.

Staging at Evelyn Hallman Park, off College. (Good chance this will change.)

4-5 tests and 10 miles. Follow the flour markers in the spider trails. The course will have some chunk and some flow. There will be some technical Mulligans on the rocks and a jump Mulligan in the jump park. There will be a beer/beverage segment towards the end.

There will also be game element at some point. One foot, balance curb, or something else.

More details to come and staging may change the staging area. Ideas welcome. Really excited about the course.
    open to all skill levels? guessing this is just for fun.

EDIT: Just read some of the other posts linked. Looks like fun.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    This is open to all skill levels and is purely for fun.

Beerduro is about fun group mountain bike rides with a little grass roots rchallenge and beer drinking.

A member of the community will host an event in their local area. There will be 3-9 timed segments that are usually downhill in nature, but they do not have to be. Mulligahns are encouraged to add to the fun and even the playing field (30 seconds time benefit for things like (picked up trash, trail stoke, costume, oldest bike, ...). A timed beer chug is usually part of the format and your time is multiplied by 10. Cumulative scores is added up at the end and we all win.

Some type of creative, often tacky award is given to the top time. There are no real rules or leadership in this group. Just some rough guidelines. Events are always no charge,but folks sometimes donate.

Goals are: Good times, bring the community together, fun low stress time trials, checking out new riding areas, and good times.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    This is open to all skill levels and is purely for fun.

Beerduro is about fun group mountain bike rides with a little grass roots rchallenge and beer drinking.

A member of the community will host an event in their local area. There will be 3-9 timed segments that are usually downhill in nature, but they do not have to be. Mulligahns are encouraged to add to the fun and even the playing field (30 seconds time benefit for things like (picked up trash, trail stoke, costume, oldest bike, ...). A timed beer chug is usually part of the format and your time is multiplied by 10. Cumulative scores is added up at the end and we all win.

Some type of creative, often tacky award is given to the top time. There are no real rules or leadership in this group. Just some rough guidelines. Events are always no charge,but folks sometimes donate.

Goals are: Good times, bring the community together, fun low stress time trials, checking out new riding areas, and good times.
    So someone who doesn't "chug beer" or drink at all would probably be out of place at one of these events?
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Meatbomb
    You can substitute soda or your other favorite type of drink. Beer is not required.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    So someone who doesn't "chug beer" or drink at all would probably be out of place at one of these events?
    Not at all. There have been plenty of non-beer drinkers at these and all have a great time. Key word here is: FUN.
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I did the San Tan one and chugged a soda instead (I made sure to bring some myself). It was pretty fun.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    What everyone else said. Beer is optional. To get a time though, you do need to chug something. We often have sprite or doctor pepper. Some folks choose to pass on the chug all together and that is fine.

The goal around the beer was to help lower the competition vibe and make it all more light hearted. We have many folks that come that do not drink. Many LDS folks are rocking a Beerduro shirt too. We have had a few 16 year olds participate as well, and of course they had a soda.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Damn shame you chose the weekend of the Whiskey Off Road, I already have committed plans so I'll make the next one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    hey SH; have a FUN time.

I will look forward to doing HAWES BD with you again .
    You guys are the VERY TOP DRAWER!
    Cheers from BC.
    ps heading for Maash da Hey in June; then ridin the BC part of the Tour Divide early July...........
    TS

mtbr member
    I didn't feel out of place at the Prescott beerduro but turns out shot-gunning a can of seltzer was harder than I thought it would be.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

26 ain't dead
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I didn't feel out of place at the Prescott beerduro but turns out shot-gunning a can of seltzer was harder than I thought it would be.
    Chugging seltzer is waaaaayyy more difficult than beer...particularly BL or Kirkland Light!

I have it in my calendar, might be in California this week though.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Pre-ride will be Tuesday, off Gavin by the staging area on the other side of the zoo entrance. Pedaling by 5:30.

Taco, I got a quite a few complaints about the Whiskey conflict. It is hard to miss all the cool events we have in AZ. Next one I host, I will run it by you to make sure it works.

Stoked on all the comments how folks fit right in at Beerduro without the beer.

Schilling, You coming?

Transition, I want a report and pics from the Beerduro you and your boy do in Canada.

Chain, Hope you can make it. Is Knowles still living down here part of the time?

Just A Mountain Biker.
    HA! One of my go-to's is seltzer water...may have to re-think that for a chugging...

Just A Mountain Biker.

Stoked on all the comments how folks fit right in at Beerduro without the beer.
    Me too, appreciate the lack of attitude in this particular thread...

mtbr member
    I've only done one of these beer-duros but the Prescott one was tons of fun. And well orchestrated. Chainslap, we should re-visit the idea for one in Flag.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

26 ain't dead
    I've only done one of these beer-duros but the Prescott one was tons of fun. And well orchestrated. Chainslap, we should re-visit the idea for one in Flag.
    I think we had a pretty good loop idea already...we can discuss sometime soon.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Schilling, You coming?
    Trying to make it happen.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Shawn, looks like I may not be able to make it. The wife will be out of town and the sitter doesn't think she can make it that night. I'll keep trying but if not, catch you guys on the next one!
    Shit happens...

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap- View Post
    Rockman and Chainslap, YES!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap- View Post
    Indeed but it turns out after years of being denied Absolute Bikes got a permit for Sept to run a 2-day enduro. Day 1 is AZ trail/Aspen Corner>upper Moto>lower Moto. Day 2 is Sunset>L. Bear>Schultz. It has to be on system trails but too bad they can't throw M. Earth into the mix. Proceeds to benefit the Bike Park.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    3 days out. RSVPs are light. Post up if you plan to come. If we don't pull enough number, might just turn it into a ride. Either way, it will be a good time.

Maybe we are not enough to compete with W.O.R.?

My other ride is your mom
    Would love to participate in a flag event if the schedule works out.....Which it rarely does.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Updated description:
    The first Beerduro at Papago will be on Friday, April 28th, Show by 6:16, pedal at 6:30. Finish by 10ish. Staging at lot off Gavin, across from the zoo turn in. Should be wrapped up with the bikes by 9:30ish.

4-5 tests (late beverage chug = beer or soda), 10 miles and 750ish in climbing. Follow the flour markers or ribbon clipped to bushes through the trails. The course will have some chunk and some flow. We worked to maximize the downhill and tech options that Papago offers.

There will be some technical Mulligans on 2 of the bigger rocks (15 seconds), one loose steep climb (15 seconds), and a jump Mulligan in the dirt jump park (15 seconds). Trail stoke, style, oldest bike, joke, pick up a piece of trash too (30 seconds). Also a hobo Mulligan, for bringing a gift to leave at a hobo camp (30 seconds). Best gift gets double. Based on time, I will try to throw in a game element at some point. One foot, balance curb, or something else (15 seconds).

Come with water, tube, etc. Feel free to pack some extra beer if you like.

Post up so we can get an accurate head count.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    IN!! Don't forget lights!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    This lurker will be there, how can I miss the one in my back yard.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    See you there Paul. Stoked to See John is going. Lot's of other are now in too through text or FB.

Here is the course lay out. Start at Gavin then go direct as possible to Test 1 starting East of Dirt Jumps. The Sout of Curry, then work back toward West of Gavin.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/958366150