The .05 percent
    Feb 2006

Pajarito is on fire

Oh yea, BTW Pajarito is on fire, campground is gone... sunrise does not look like such a bad option.
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

Kathleen in AZ
    May not be so bad... check out updates at the bottom of this NM thread: Another big fire in the santa fe natl forest

mtbr member
    Damn-it. And I haven't hit that one up yet. Hopefully it doesnt reach the resort!

Angelfire was a blast a month ago. They have a great selection of trails for everyone, and its only about an hour or so from Pajarito.
    But I am saving all my doh and broken bones for Winter Park for 6 days next month!

Too bad Sunrise is closed for the 4th, I bet the rain that they got up there was just what that place needed.

shred my gnar
    doesnt look too bad although this doesnt show much area. absolutely crazy fire season. probably already more acres burned than 2002.

I'm trying to keep all updated, but FB not so great, things move down the page and I have to re-post constantly. Anyway there has been damage to lifts, all repairable in our estimate so far. No major structures burned, even Aspen House at the top of the Triple chair is OK so far. Trees and grass burned on east, west sides and top ridgeline in places. Some damage to Camp May and Canada Bonita. Most of the mountain still green and lovely thanks to post Cerro Grande thinning and superhero firefighting!!

But we believe all damaged parts (including the lift cable) can be replaced even though Riblet Trams no longer manufactures this lift type. The cable for example is generic, and can be replaced.

Hundreds of new Facebook friends over the past few days, and many pledging volunteer labor to help us clean up after the fire. We need all types of volunteers, not all hard labor but also paperwork and food service for volunteers, supervisors, etc. We were built largely with volunteers, and trust this wonderful skier (and biker) community to help us re-build.

Thanks to all who have joined us here on Facebook. And please pass the word to all who have not yet joined us. Updating www.skipajarito.com is not as simple as posting here. Please do not call the office with queries, be patient.

sincerely
    Brian Foley
    LASC vice president
    on behalf of the rest of the employees and board of directors

shred my gnar
    wow. looks very similar to the wallow on 6/1-6/3. enormous column.

dirt visionary
    Damn hope it doesn't get it too bad. Was planning on hitting it this month on my way to and from Colo.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sunrise = Garbage. Tried it last weekend after taking a year off. Trails were crap I had to hike over trees every run and it is quite obvious none of the employees want us there. I will spend my money elsewhere. Maybe not Pajarito but Colorado, Utah and Angelfire are still good.

AKA shitbird
    Sucks big time. Love Pajarito! Sure it's twice as far as Sunrise but it's 100 times more fun. Sunrise is definitely lacking
    JRA

dirt visionary
    I don't know why so many places I wanted to check out this summer is on fire or has burnt But the flames better keep their ass out of colo.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Pivotal figure
    Super bummed I missed the last trip even more now...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 29rev View Post
    Sunrise = Garbage. Tried it last weekend after taking a year off. Trails were crap I had to hike over trees every run and it is quite obvious none of the employees want us there. I will spend my money elsewhere. Maybe not Pajarito but Colorado, Utah and Angelfire are still good.
    My feelings exactly. At least the road on elden is getting some love
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Our forest lands are in some really bad shape, I'm thinking this will be the year that the USFS is going to be changing a lot of their procedures and policies as far as fire and forest management. They are under a lot of pressure and fire from congress, I watched a 4 hour and 20 minute long congress hearing and congress is very unhappy with the USFS right now. Elden could be next, it is such a **** pile of deadfall where we want to build dh trails it would be gone in a few hours from just one careless person or a dry lightning strike. I'm all for banning campfires and making fireworks illegal. How much more forest do we really need to lose?

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Our forest lands are in some really bad shape, I'm thinking this will be the year that the USFS is going to be changing a lot of their procedures and policies as far as fire and forest management. They are under a lot of pressure and fire from congress, I watched a 4 hour and 20 minute long congress hearing and congress is very unhappy with the USFS right now. Elden could be next, it is such a **** pile of deadfall where we want to build dh trails it would be gone in a few hours from just one careless person or a dry lightning strike. I'm all for banning campfires and making fireworks illegal. How much more forest do we really need to lose?
    i dont disagree with much of what you are saying but this is not a new phenomenon. 1996, 2000 & 2002 were similar fire seasons in terms of acres burned, communities burning and ridiculous fire behavior. congress got their panties in a bunch then, allocated lots of funding to fuels management (thinning & burning) and fire suppression and here we are in 2011 and the same story is playing out (although luckily, none of the fires this year, despite being human caused, were prescribed burns that were lost). the usfs changed lots of policies after those years as well.

all of the big land management players (usfs, blm & nps) were soooooo far behind the curve when people finally started buying into the fact that we had been mis-managing fuels and fire for the last 100 years that it was going to take several decades to get back out of the hole. In the meantime every year that we have a dry winter and/or spring as well as unusually windy springs and/or summers we will have huge, unnatural stand-replacement fires.

different national forests in the sw have been trying to bite off chunks of thinning/burning to catch up but the manpower and associated cost and time to restore enough acres to make a difference leaves lots of time for mo-nature to do it herself (with help of some complete ******bags that are careless with campfires).

as far as your comment about elden... there isnt much you can do about areas that steep and rocky. that kind of terrain is even more expensive and time consuming to restore and it is unlikely to ever happen. not to mention that you are exposing people to serious hazards working on those types of slopes and its compounded when there is little to no commercial value for the timber. oak creek is the same story as is millions of other acres across the west.

the point i am trying to make is that the scale at which the problem lies is enormous and will take a lot of time and money (which is hard to come by these days) to really make a dent.

the coconino, kaibab, a/s and tonto are trying to go at it at a much larger scale with the 4-forest restoration initiative. So, the usfs is doing their damndest in a horrid economy to make it happen.

http://www.4fri.org/