Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

Pacticing For The New Flagstaff Downhill Trail

Well my wife and I are almost half way through our six month road trip and we we pulled into Jackson Hole last night. It had been raining all day so conditions were going to be great in the bike park.

It has been some time since I have had an opportunity to try and get airborne, so it took me about five runs to get the nerve up to do the jumps on the advanced run, but I finally got the nerve to hit the tabletops with the right amount of speed.

Hopefully when the new FGR downhill trail gets built I will have not lost my nerve to try some of the jumps on that trail. As we all know hitting a nice tranny can bring a to your face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pacticing For The New Flagstaff Downhill Trail-jackson.jpg  

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Well my wife and I are almost half way through our six month road trip and we we pulled into Jackson Hole last night. It had been raining all day so conditions were going to be great in the bike park.

It has been some time since I have had an opportunity to try and get airborne, so it took me about five runs to get the nerve up to do the jumps on the advanced run, but I finally got the nerve to hit the tabletops with the right amount of speed.

Hopefully when the new FGR downhill trail gets built I will have not lost my nerve to try some of the jumps on that trail. As we all know hitting a nice tranny can bring a to your face.
    Hey traildoc,

Now you're talkin' my language!
    Mike_upper_gap - Cropped for Mtbr.jpg

I hope you're enjoying your trip! Thanks for sharing all the pictures!!

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead View Post
    Hey traildoc,

Now you're talkin' my language!
    Mike_upper_gap - Cropped for Mtbr.jpg

I hope you're enjoying your trip! Thanks for sharing all the pictures!!

Take care,

Michael
    Michael:

Thanks for accepting me as a fellow downhiller. During my road trip I have been trying to come up with ideas to help the FGR's obtain their goal to build that new downhill trail in Flagstaff. Right Now I am parked in my motor casa at the top of Teton Pass in Jackson hole.

Yesterday I rode a trail called Jimmy's Mom which starts off of the Teton Pass highway. The trail is downhill specific and is easily accessible for numerous loops. Riders can easily hitchhike up the Teton Pass road and make a day of it.

Yesterday I did five loops on Jimmy's Mom after riding the Philips Ridge trail from the same drop off point. IMHO Jackson Hole has the best downhill trail opportunities due to the FS understanding the needs of the downhill community.

The attached picture gives you an idea of how committed the FS is to giving downhillers the type of trail they can test their skills on.

This link (Freedom Riders seek to build Candyland Trail | Blog | 1% for the Tetons) gives some great talking points the FGR might want to use in their future to promote more downhill specific trails in Flagstaff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pacticing For The New Flagstaff Downhill Trail-008a.jpg  

Pacticing For The New Flagstaff Downhill Trail-009a.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 09-04-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Human
    send it TD!

No Clue Crew
    Why not ride some of the "old" Flagstaff DH trails with jumps RIGHT NOW? When you start feeling confident hit the Wasabi Gap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Why not ride some of the "old" Flagstaff DH trails with jumps RIGHT NOW? When you start feeling confident hit the Wasabi Gap
    Ha, do you hit the gap to the road on Wasabi Mikey?

The problem with jumps and gaps on the "social" DH trails in Flag is they are, for the most part, narrow trail in tight trees. The Jackson stuff is much more open with bigger landing areas and better line-of-sight. I suspect RA is factoring all that in with the design of the DH trail

mtbr member
    Is it just me or do those downhill outfits make dudes look like power rangers....

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Ha, do you hit the gap to the road on Wasabi Mikey?

The problem with jumps and gaps on the "social" DH trails in Flag is they are, for the most part, narrow trail in tight trees. The Jackson stuff is much more open with bigger landing areas and better line-of-sight. I suspect RA is factoring all that in with the design of the DH trail
    Nope... not big enough stones yet... And, quite honestly, after looking at it again this weekend the run-in seems so short I still have a hard time thinking the appropriate speed can be attained. But, that goes back to skill and stones again

Just pointing out that if he wants to jump there's plenty of jumps to be hit in Flag without waiting for a set of trails to be built several years down the road.

mtbr member
    Nope... not big enough stones yet... And, quite honestly, after looking at it again this weekend the run-in seems so short I still have a hard time thinking the appropriate speed can be attained. But, that goes back to skill and stones again

Just pointing out that if he wants to jump there's plenty of jumps to be hit in Flag without waiting for a set of trails to be built several years down the road.
    TD has ridden Wasabi.

bland
    after looking at it again this weekend the run-in seems so short I still have a hard time thinking the appropriate speed can be attained.
    Once you take the left around the tree into the run-in coast right into it. No breaking or pedal strokes puts you in the sweet spot of the transition. Its intimidating for sure but it is also one of the easiest stunts on the mountain. You should make a new flag video, your edits are top notch!

No Clue Crew
    TD has ridden Wasabi.
    I should hope so with all the free time he has on his hands...

Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Once you take the left around the tree into the run-in coast right into it. No breaking or pedal strokes puts you in the sweet spot of the transition. Its intimidating for sure but it is also one of the easiest stunts on the mountain. You should make a new flag video, your edits are top notch!
    Got a boatload of video from this weekend. Will work on it this week as I have time. I did manage to get my one good off uploaded:

Flag Crash from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

Which, if you saw my last Flagstaff video, having only ONE wreck is a great improvement Felt MUCH better up there this time.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    .....The problem with jumps and gaps on the "social" DH trails in Flag is they are, for the most part, narrow trail in tight trees. The Jackson stuff is much more open with bigger landing areas and better line-of-sight.....
    Hey Mr. rockman,

This is a critical issue for me in my decision whether to take some "air" or not. Since I'm older than dirt I want all the advantages on my side. I've even coined a phrase to describe the construction of the obstacle I'm about to jump....PAPR. That stands for Perfect Approach / Perfect Runout.

Here is a drop called Big Daddy on the Boondocks Trail at Northstar Bike Park in Truckee, CA. Even though your back tire has dropped 6 feet by the time you get it on the ground it's relativity trivial because of a straight perfectly inclined approach and a steep, armored landing:
    Pacticing For The New Flagstaff Downhill Trail-michael-big-daddy-cropped-mtbr.jpg

In hucking cliffs while skiing and dropping waterfalls in a kayak it often isn't the height of the drop that kills you but rather the shape of the landing!

Take care and have fun however you get dirty,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

banned
    I should hope so with all the free time he has on his hands...
    bOm:

Just wanted to make sure you realize that being old and retired and having a lot of free time is what the goal has been my whole life, so yes I have ridden Wasabi and that rock drop off the Boondock trail at Northstar. That is a good thing, right?

mtbr member
    I
    Got a boatload of video from this weekend. Will work on it this week as I have time. I did manage to get my one good off uploaded:

Which, if you saw my last Flagstaff video, having only ONE wreck is a great improvement Felt MUCH better up there this time.
    It appears you've come a long way since your Private Reserve vid
    I broke my cheekbone on DD last summer and haven't ridden it since. I'm guessing it's just getting deeper and more incised?

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Is it just me or do those downhill outfits make dudes look like power rangers....
    The proper terminology is downhill costumes.

(BTW, in case you think I be hatin, most other trail users have their costumes too)
    Horsey peeps: silly hats, detailed shirts, and general look of unhappiness
    Runny peeps: dolphin shorts, compassion socks, and mini hand water bottles

Wait for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73 View Post
    The proper terminology is downhill costumes.

(BTW, in case you think I be hatin, most other trail users have their costumes too)
    Horsey peeps: silly hats, detailed shirts, and general look of unhappiness
    Runny peeps: dolphin shorts, compassion socks, and mini hand water bottles
    Don't forget XC peeps: wrapped in spandex that accentuates their oversized guts and undersized.... ummm.... quads....

No Clue Crew
    Just wanted to make sure you realize that being old and retired and having a lot of free time is what the goal has been my whole life, so yes I have ridden Wasabi and that rock drop off the Boondock trail at Northstar. That is a good thing, right?
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead View Post
    This is a critical issue for me in my decision whether to take some "air" or not. Since I'm older than dirt I want all the advantages on my side. I've even coined a phrase to describe the construction of the obstacle I'm about to jump....PAPR. That stands for Perfect Approach / Perfect Runout.
    This is a very important thing for beginners as well. My first trip up to Flag seemed a disaster. Totally out of my element and many of the jumps are not PAPR. That led to many offs. Offs that I knew at the time, and reflect on now, were really pretty lame although amusing on video. As you progress you get more comfortable with the non-PAPR jumps which I have. I suspect as I get older I'll regress and air on the side of caution like you... Nothing wrong with that at all.

It appears you've come a long way since your Private Reserve vid I broke my cheekbone on DD last summer and haven't ridden it since. I'm guessing it's just getting deeper and more incised?
    Yeah, I have. I'm still no Moses or KennyB but I made it down the trails with very few troubles.

I've only ridden DD twice now and the section I ate it on definitely appears to be deeper than I remember. Most everything else didn't seem to be in terrible shape.

Huffy Rider
    Did you notice the famous overhead log grab on L Wasabi is gone? I laughed when I rode thru there the first time this season.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Did you notice the famous overhead log grab on L Wasabi is gone? I laughed when I rode thru there the first time this season.
    I definitely kept looking for it but until you just mentioned it didn't realize I never saw it. I should have a piece of that tree hanging from my wall or something

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    i was thinking Star Wars...

Huffy Rider
    Here is the small jump on L. Wasabi You should be good and ready for some Flagstaff shred after this trip!

shred my gnar
    i ate some serious **** on the right-hand corner immediately after that jump earlier this summer.

broken nose, dislocated jaw and put a couple teeth about half way through my lip. somehow in the air my hand flicked my rear brake lever into the foward "lock" position... went to grab it after i landed and nothing was there. very shitty feeling... was going way too fast to make the corner w/o slowing down.

love wasabi but that was the last time i rode it w/o a fullface!

mtbr member
    bOm:

My goal in life is to die at work. So far, I'm well on track to accomplish that.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    i ate some serious **** on the right-hand corner immediately after that jump earlier this summer.

broken nose, dislocated jaw and put a couple teeth about half way through my lip. somehow in the air my hand flicked my rear brake lever into the foward "lock" position... went to grab it after i landed and nothing was there. very shitty feeling... was going way too fast to make the corner w/o slowing down.

love wasabi but that was the last time i rode it w/o a fullface!
    Happy:

Just curious, what model brake uses a forward lock position?

No Clue Crew
    Just curious, what model brake uses a forward lock position?
    Curious myself as to WHY any model would offer such a device. I know I'm pretty dumb but I can't think of a single reason why this would be a good feature. If you don't wanna brake keep your fingers off 'em?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast