Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Pack recommendation please

I currently own a newer Camelback HAWG and an older Camelback Lobo. The Lobo is too small and the Hawg is too big/heavy for my needs.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a lighter pack. I need 100 ounces, but way less overall storage space than the Hawg has; lighter weight and a smaller footprint (backprint) are bonuses. Perfectly willing to experiment with other brands.

I've read mag reviews and whatnot, but looking for some firsthand local experience. Thanks.

Meatbomb
    is the Lobo smaller than the Mule ?

Need more cowbell
    The MULE is between the LOBO and HAWG in the lineup.

Most popular model they make, I believe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I currently own a newer Camelback HAWG and an older Camelback Lobo. The Lobo is too small and the Hawg is too big/heavy for my needs.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a lighter pack. I need 100 ounces, but way less overall storage space than the Hawg has; lighter weight and a smaller footprint (backprint) are bonuses. Perfectly willing to experiment with other brands.

I've read mag reviews and whatnot, but looking for some firsthand local experience. Thanks.
    I have a Dakine. It's a larger one, designed to carry armor, helmet, etc., so might be bigger than you're looking for. But in terms of comfort, I love it. Plus, the bladder as a detachable tube, so I can leave the tub in and remove must the bladder to fill.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The lobo is tiny; the pack itself is built around the 70 ounce bladder. I don't need a lot bells and whistles; just a reasonable amount of storage space for necessities and a big bladder. My Hawg isn't uncomfortable, but its enormous size does shift around alot on my back. I don't need a rain cover or helmet/pad/clothing storage.

Put it this way, when we stop to session stuff, it's super-liberating to take the pack off and just ride obstacles without it.

Losing Ground
    Look into the Osprey Raptors.

parenting for gnarness
    osprey talon 22 - bigger than you say you want, but you absolutely do not feel it. super duper comfortable. I too have an older Hawg and a mule - I dont wear either anymore hardly, the talon is so insanely comfy. and if\when you do need space its awesome. I can fit a laptop, workclothes, lunch, bike lock and 100oz *OR* 4 liters of liquor. Lots of other people in AZ use them cause of the light feel and incredible versatility.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I went from a Hawg to a Osprey Raptor 10 to a Lobo, and now have a Blowfish.

The Hawg was too big.

The Osprey bite valve sucks, the rest was awesome, although not that much storage.

The Lobo was too small

The Blowfish is perfect. Small and light for its size, but will get bigger if I need it (after all there was a time when the Mule was needed).

Meatbomb
    I have a MULE you are welcome to try if you'd like .

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Phil: Thanks. Think I may want to try a different brand. The Osprey sounds nice; what's the difference between the talon and raptor?

mtbr member
    Deuter Race Air EXP. Holds 100 ounces and some gear. Very light and fits the back well.
    Extra bonus is the mesh back with a thin steel frame that lets the pack sit on your back like a hammock. You can actually feel the air flow through to your back. It's also expandable for a little more space. I went from C-back to this because of our summers.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

parenting for gnarness
    Phil: Thanks. Think I may want to try a different brand. The Osprey sounds nice; what's the difference between the talon and raptor?
    the raptor and Talon look similar, with the raptor being advertised as MTB specific. dunno... the Talon does not come with a bladder, looks like the raptor does. what sold me on the Ospreys based on many others' comments was just how damn comfy they are, and I have never looked back. the talon, and likely their others, have a lot of really nice features too.

http://www.ospreypacks.com

The Talon was just under $100, but its 2 yrs going strong and I use it for every type of riding and times i need a daypack. i seriously do not feel my laptop when its in there, and i go an hour each way with it. again, might not be what you want, but a great product that feels much smaller. you are welcome to try it if we ever manage to ride together.

mtbr member
    The lobo is tiny; the pack itself is built around the 70 ounce bladder. I don't need a lot bells and whistles; just a reasonable amount of storage space for necessities and a big bladder. My Hawg isn't uncomfortable, but its enormous size does shift around alot on my back. I don't need a rain cover or helmet/pad/clothing storage.

Put it this way, when we stop to session stuff, it's super-liberating to take the pack off and just ride obstacles without it.
    I just got the Lobo and its the perfect size I think... Mine came with the 100oz blatter so it might be a newer one?
    Last edited by kubo; 07-28-2010 at 08:12 PM.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    go for the new 2000oz camelbak KEGGER.

Losing Ground
    The Talon also comes in smaller sizes.

My other ride is your mom
    my 2 cents on packs: always buy a little bigger than you need and remmeber you don't have to pack them full. The few times you will need to use all the space, you won't be forced to strap stuff to the outside like a clumsy boy scout.

mtbr member

Osprey Raptor!!

I have the Raptor 14 and really like it. I had a HAWG, and it moved around on my back too much. I can fit plenty of stuff for a long ride in the Raptor, and it stays in place much better, and feels lighter. It is easy to load the bladder, and easily carries armor and has a clever helmet carrier.