Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
  1. #1
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,943

    Pack recommendation please

    I currently own a newer Camelback HAWG and an older Camelback Lobo. The Lobo is too small and the Hawg is too big/heavy for my needs.

    I'm looking for a recommendation for a lighter pack. I need 100 ounces, but way less overall storage space than the Hawg has; lighter weight and a smaller footprint (backprint) are bonuses. Perfectly willing to experiment with other brands.

    I've read mag reviews and whatnot, but looking for some firsthand local experience. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,029
    is the Lobo smaller than the Mule ?

  3. #3
    Need more cowbell
    Reputation: WhiskersOfDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    893
    The MULE is between the LOBO and HAWG in the lineup.

    Most popular model they make, I believe.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I currently own a newer Camelback HAWG and an older Camelback Lobo. The Lobo is too small and the Hawg is too big/heavy for my needs.

    I'm looking for a recommendation for a lighter pack. I need 100 ounces, but way less overall storage space than the Hawg has; lighter weight and a smaller footprint (backprint) are bonuses. Perfectly willing to experiment with other brands.

    I've read mag reviews and whatnot, but looking for some firsthand local experience. Thanks.
    I have a Dakine. It's a larger one, designed to carry armor, helmet, etc., so might be bigger than you're looking for. But in terms of comfort, I love it. Plus, the bladder as a detachable tube, so I can leave the tub in and remove must the bladder to fill.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  5. #5
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,943
    The lobo is tiny; the pack itself is built around the 70 ounce bladder. I don't need a lot bells and whistles; just a reasonable amount of storage space for necessities and a big bladder. My Hawg isn't uncomfortable, but its enormous size does shift around alot on my back. I don't need a rain cover or helmet/pad/clothing storage.

    Put it this way, when we stop to session stuff, it's super-liberating to take the pack off and just ride obstacles without it.

  6. #6
    Losing Ground
    Reputation: Guipago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    213
    Look into the Osprey Raptors.

  7. #7
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    osprey talon 22 - bigger than you say you want, but you absolutely do not feel it. super duper comfortable. I too have an older Hawg and a mule - I dont wear either anymore hardly, the talon is so insanely comfy. and if\when you do need space its awesome. I can fit a laptop, workclothes, lunch, bike lock and 100oz *OR* 4 liters of liquor. Lots of other people in AZ use them cause of the light feel and incredible versatility.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,604
    I went from a Hawg to a Osprey Raptor 10 to a Lobo, and now have a Blowfish.

    The Hawg was too big.

    The Osprey bite valve sucks, the rest was awesome, although not that much storage.

    The Lobo was too small

    The Blowfish is perfect. Small and light for its size, but will get bigger if I need it (after all there was a time when the Mule was needed).

  9. #9
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,029
    I have a MULE you are welcome to try if you'd like .

  10. #10
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,943
    Phil: Thanks. Think I may want to try a different brand. The Osprey sounds nice; what's the difference between the talon and raptor?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azjonboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,418
    Deuter Race Air EXP. Holds 100 ounces and some gear. Very light and fits the back well.
    Extra bonus is the mesh back with a thin steel frame that lets the pack sit on your back like a hammock. You can actually feel the air flow through to your back. It's also expandable for a little more space. I went from C-back to this because of our summers.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

  12. #12
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Phil: Thanks. Think I may want to try a different brand. The Osprey sounds nice; what's the difference between the talon and raptor?
    the raptor and Talon look similar, with the raptor being advertised as MTB specific. dunno... the Talon does not come with a bladder, looks like the raptor does. what sold me on the Ospreys based on many others' comments was just how damn comfy they are, and I have never looked back. the talon, and likely their others, have a lot of really nice features too.

    http://www.ospreypacks.com

    The Talon was just under $100, but its 2 yrs going strong and I use it for every type of riding and times i need a daypack. i seriously do not feel my laptop when its in there, and i go an hour each way with it. again, might not be what you want, but a great product that feels much smaller. you are welcome to try it if we ever manage to ride together.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kubo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    The lobo is tiny; the pack itself is built around the 70 ounce bladder. I don't need a lot bells and whistles; just a reasonable amount of storage space for necessities and a big bladder. My Hawg isn't uncomfortable, but its enormous size does shift around alot on my back. I don't need a rain cover or helmet/pad/clothing storage.

    Put it this way, when we stop to session stuff, it's super-liberating to take the pack off and just ride obstacles without it.
    I just got the Lobo and its the perfect size I think... Mine came with the 100oz blatter so it might be a newer one?
    Last edited by kubo; 07-28-2010 at 08:12 PM.

  14. #14
    SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Reputation: longhairmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,418
    go for the new 2000oz camelbak KEGGER.

  15. #15
    Losing Ground
    Reputation: Guipago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    213
    The Talon also comes in smaller sizes.

  16. #16
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,418
    my 2 cents on packs: always buy a little bigger than you need and remmeber you don't have to pack them full. The few times you will need to use all the space, you won't be forced to strap stuff to the outside like a clumsy boy scout.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,967

    Osprey Raptor!!

    I have the Raptor 14 and really like it. I had a HAWG, and it moved around on my back too much. I can fit plenty of stuff for a long ride in the Raptor, and it stays in place much better, and feels lighter. It is easy to load the bladder, and easily carries armor and has a clever helmet carrier.



  18. #18
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,270
    I have had a Blowfish for nearly 10 years and have not found a compelling reason to replace it.

    If I were, I would absolutely look hard at the Osprey stuff.

    I have a Hawg and it is way too big. I use it for hiking only.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  19. #19
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,688
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I have a Dakine. It's a larger one, designed to carry armor, helmet, etc., so might be bigger than you're looking for. But in terms of comfort, I love it. Plus, the bladder as a detachable tube, so I can leave the tub in and remove must the bladder to fill.
    No matter what the pack, a larger volume pack is only going to weigh a few oz heavier (fabric, etc), very insignificant. I'd rather be able put another bladder in there or whatever else I need when it's necessary.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  20. #20
    JohnniO
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    I have the Raptor 14 and really like it. I had a HAWG, and it moved around on my back too much. I can fit plenty of stuff for a long ride in the Raptor, and it stays in place much better, and feels lighter. It is easy to load the bladder, and easily carries armor and has a clever helmet carrier.


    Why do you have 3 pics at the ready of your back ?

  21. #21
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,029
    I currently own a newer Camelback HAWG and an older Camelback Lobo. The Lobo is too small and the Hawg is too big/heavy for my needs.
    Mule fits the bill for what you want, at least in the Camelbak line-up.

    I have a Hawg and a Mule and to be honest I haven't used the Mule (for biking) since I bought the Hawg 2 years ago. Still, if you want smaller then it's a great addition. I still use the Mule for hiking, or one of my kids uses it.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO
    Why do you have 3 pics at the ready of your back ?
    Because I wrote up a review of this pack in another thread, so they were already in a Photobucket album. Photos courtesy of my girlfriend Sharon.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    410
    Wingnut Hyper, two sizes available. Rides lower on the back. Doesn't slop around in the big bumps like traditional packs.
    Reviewed well. A bit pricey.
    Cheers,
    M

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Whyaduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    135
    I like my Dakine Apex alot (1100 ci, 100 oz.). Comfortable, carries armor and FF helmet comfortably. Rage usually has a few in stock. If I were looking today, I'd probably consider the Osprey packs, too.

  25. #25
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,110
    I will second the wingnut. They are super lightweight and hold a 100oz bladder no problem. Have side access pockets so you don't have to remove the pack to get to your tool pack, small camera and snacks plus a large inner area that will hold a jacket pump tubes etc.

    They do not have insulation so either freeze your bladder or be used to drinking warm water (what i do FWIW). I also appreciate that they will not come up and hit the back of your helmet on steep descents or big hops etc. like my camelback hawg would do.

    check em out here:

    http://www.wingnutgear.com/product_d...product_id=124

    LGT Wingnut hyper which is my preference for desert riding. They also do not come with a bladder but you can use your existing camelback one which is the best option anyway.
    Try this: HTFU

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •