No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

The outrigger singlespeed

Awesomized

Awesomized

Think you're hard? Need a new challenge? Try riding with one pedal.

Beautiful today, so seemed appropriate for some SS mileage at PMP. Maybe 1.5 miles or so in, I feel a weird wobble on my right foot. Hmmm. Maybe I have a loose cleat. Nope, I've got a loose pedal. Oh, and it won't tighten as most of the threads in the crank arm appear to have disintegrated.

Well, maybe I can make it a bit further before turning back. Nope. Really bad wobble and BAM now the only thing the pedal is attached to? My shoe.

In my years in this hobby, I've experienced plenty of gear (and body) failures, but a stripped crank arm is a first.

Once I figured out a rhythm, pedaling with one foot was OK. The challenge was what to do with my other foot. Super-uncomfortable feeling to have a leg outriggered in space.

If you saw me out there today, rest assured I wasn't on a new Ukrainian training methodology. It was a mechanical. Really.

mtbr member
    Bummer it's on the drive side. You have it get a new crankset and not just the arm
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    So that was you in the parking lot I saw (pre break). We had never met previously. Never seen that happen on a quality crank. When we passed you heading out I didn't know you were having that issue or I would have towed you back with the strap I keep in my pack.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Was that you on the Vassago? Nice to meet you.

I decided to keep going long enough for the pedal to completely free itself.

I've got another crankset on already, so no great loss. Mostly bummed about screwing up a ride,

In the rear with the beer
    Would have offered to help, but it was way to fun watching you ride with the outrigger leg!

Ha! Just kidding, I didn't see you (i'm not that much of a d!ck)....but I bet I still would have watch the show for at least a little bit before trying to help....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It certainly was a show. Particularly the first couple little descents where I had no idea how to position my leg. Eventually I just left it hanging out there.

mtbr member
    Yep me on the tan Vassago. My bottom bracket which is new started creaking today, hopefully its just in need of a little tightening!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bummer. I had the exact same thing happen earlier this year. My brother had come out from Oklahoma and wanted to ride. I set up an extra bike I have for him and put some nice flat pedals on. I did a light tighten like I always do on the pedals and sure enough one of them came out on him just like yours. We were on the BCT up at the Boy Scout Loop when it happened. Fortunately I'm familiar with the jeep roads out there and was able to have him coast/hab one of those out to New River Rd while I went back to the EH trail head to get the truck to pick him up.

Now I tighten them a little more than before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That's hardcore. I used to think real men rode one gear. You have proven that real men only need one pedal.

Don't believe the Hype...
    Had that happen a few years ago at the Top of Mesquite out at White Tanks. Luckily, I had my chain breaker tool and was able rig that up as a "pedal". It was a pretty sketchy on the way down, but it worked out.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Meatbomb
    Should have ridden it side saddle

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Bummer it's on the drive side. You have it get a new crankset and not just the arm
    Maybe not. VAR make a thread repair tool kit. Might find a local shop with one.

I love bike!
    That one wasn't my fault