I reckon y'all fixin to..

OT: When flagstaff.craigslist.org has me jaded...

Hello all.

I am not ashamed to admit that my research as to where I currently reside was lacking prior to making a move. Northern Nevada does have it's advantages (or so I'm told), but it's really not cutting it.

After having lived in Phoenix for 7 years and always longed for a move to the Flagstaff area, a possible job opportunity and a flip of a coin landed me in Northern Nevada. The other side of the coin was to go to Flagstaff with no job prospect and continue to fire from the hip. Almost 2 years later and I am about finished with the NNV experience and wanting to double-back to the opposite side of that coin.

The problems I have found is finding Flagstaff information remotely. For my last few jobs I have relied on Craig and his list to lead me in the right direction. When looking in my field on CL now (I.T.) I am finding little to nothing. A more general search elsewhere on the internet is yielding nothing as well. I was hoping that someone here is in the area/surrounding area and would have better insight for me.

Also, although I have made many trips to Flag from Phoenix for visits/camping trips I am not overly familiar with the residential areas. This has been an area that both my fiance and I have wanted to get to (both before and while we have been together), and will eventually want to purchase a home after we get settled in and acclimated to the area and jobs. First I would want to know where a good area to live short term would be. Fairly inexpensive and possibly close to town. Then, secondly, where is a good area that is more rural and still considered Flagstaff? And, are there even houses to be bought hopefully under 200K? Optimally I would like to have a basement of some sort, garage, and some yardage.

Wow. Any and all of this information would be VERY helpful to me. I am getting bummed out checking CL everyday and still seeing the same job listings for jobs that I have sent my resume already almost out of desperation to get my foot in a door somewhere.

Much thanks to all replies!
    Last edited by gitCHu ONe; 11-19-2008 at 03:20 PM.
    "Good health is the slowest possible way one can die."

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Well, for IT I would recommend starting with the major employers in town... many of whom operate their own websites and may not advertise in the paper, CL, etc. They are Northern Arizona Univ, WL Gore (as in Gore Tex), Flagstaff Medical Center, Flagstaff Unified Schools, City of Flagstaff, Coconino Co, and the USGS. I work at FMC, and our IT is through Perot Systems (yeah H. Ross Perot), so that is another option.

As for good areas... nothing in Flagstaff seems to be to far from anything else. If you look for rental properties, Cheshire is the neighborhood closest to most of the trails, Coconio Estates, "North of the Hospital," Downtown, Cherrry Hill, and Upper Greenlaw are all within 2 miles or less. Rental vs. buy may determine where you want to be.

More rural areas near town could be considered Kachina Village, Doney Park, Townsend-Winona, Baderville, and Parks. All are within 10 miles from the center of town. A good resource may be northernarizonamls.com It should give you some insight into the housing market around here (slow, but still pricey). $200K likely won't get you much of anything. You may get a postage stamp with a trailer in Sunnyside (stay away), or a bit of land in the county surrounding the city. Rents are in the $900 to $1500 range for a bare bones 2BR apartment up to a decent home in a nice neighborhood. A cheap but descent place on the South side of town (approx 4 miles from the best trails, but some trails within 1 mile, and a little closer to winter riding in Sedona) is Apen Shadows Townhomes. I lived there a few years back... the nicest of the "cheap" rentals at the time.

HTH

parenting for gnarness
    try Monster and Dice

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll second the suggestions from Pitch on employers. Its a tough market up here for sure.

I reckon y'all fixin to..
    Awesome guys. Thanks for the good information thus far. I really appreciate it.

I figure being able to talk to people directly (you guys) is better than just showing up in town and wondering if and when I'll find a job. A decent job that is.

My family lives in Phoenix and I basically refuse to go back to live there. Flag works for me. Close enough to go visit / get to ride SoMo and then I can drive north and go home.

If you get any more info, that would be cool if you can let me know.

Thanks again guys.
    "Good health is the slowest possible way one can die."