Meatbomb

OT - TV Technicians

You guys usually come up with good referrals to people in the valley that do good, honest work.

I have a 52" Samsung TV that needs to be looked at. Anyone know of a good repair shop / electronic tech in town ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Did you throw a wiimote through it? That's what they make those straps for.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    You guys usually come up with good referrals to people in the valley that do good, honest work.

I have a 52" Samsung TV that needs to be looked at. Anyone know of a good repair shop / electronic tech in town ?
    Details... is it LCD, plasma, rear projection, tube even? What is the make/model...

Meatbomb
    Samsung LN-T5271F , LCD HD.

It's been a great tv. Typically when you power it up you get a loud click followed by the boot up tones as it turns on. Lately it's been clicking like 5 times and taking much longer to power up .. Kind of like a switch is being cycled off and on a few times before staying on and powering up the tv..

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Samsung LN-T5271F , LCD HD.

It's been a great tv. Typically when you power it up you get a loud click followed by the boot up tones as it turns on. Lately it's been clicking like 5 times and taking much longer to power up .. Kind of like a switch is being cycled off and on a few times before staying on and powering up the tv..
    What year is it? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds like you will need to replace the board. The clicking is caused by the power supply going to hell.

How good are you at soldering? Look at this http://www.earthinfo.org/samsung-tv-...licking-sound/

If you are not able to do this fix, I can almost guarantee that you can get a new set for less than the repair. I had an older LCD that I paid maybe 800 bucks for and when it died, the replacement part was around 600 bucks without labor. I was out of warranty so I got a newer, bigger set for slightly more than the cost of repair. Consumer electronics are garbage now mostly...

mtbr member
    Have you tried Spicolie's dad?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    What year is it? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds like you will need to replace the board. The clicking is caused by the power supply going to hell.

How good are you at soldering? Look at this http://www.earthinfo.org/samsung-tv-...licking-sound/

If you are not able to do this fix, I can almost guarantee that you can get a new set for less than the repair. I had an older LCD that I paid maybe 800 bucks for and when it died, the replacement part was around 600 bucks without labor. I was out of warranty so I got a newer, bigger set for slightly more than the cost of repair. Consumer electronics are garbage now mostly...
    Sad but true, most of this stuff is designed to be tossed rather than fixed.
    Possible manufacturer's warranty? Worth looking into at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Have you tried Spicolie's dad?
    I've heard he has the ultimate set of tools...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EZSHUM_331
    I've heard he has the ultimate set of tools...
    he can fix anything.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Like Cesslinger said it will most likely be cheaper to replace, but you might want to try Walt's TV in Tempe first. They do good work and are reasonable.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051
    Like Cesslinger said it will most likely be cheaper to replace, but you might want to try Walt's TV in Tempe first. They do good work and are reasonable.
    LOL. That was the shop that I got a quote from... They won't do any repairs that are like the homebrew that I linked. They will only do it with authorized ($$) parts. I agree though, that shop is nice and the people are knowledgeable.