Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    windrider

OT: Summer swimming hole...

This spot aint the Jug but it's right up there in the beloved Bradshaws just around the corner from the BCT. I couldn't find a swimming hole thread and to get to this is a hike/not bike (unless you want to dirt road climb to the trailhead) so I went to OT. A little bit of interweb search will get you there and it's in several books so it's not a secret. If anyone is interested I'll share with inquisitive members of this forum so PM me and I'll line you out. This is not for the faint of fitness and you have to earn your fun but definitely worth your summertime while.

BRM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Summer swimming hole...-securedownload.jpg  

BRM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrigmig View Post
    This spot aint the Jug but it's right up there in the beloved Bradshaws just around the corner from the BCT. I couldn't find a swimming hole thread and to get to this is a hike/not bike (unless you want to dirt road climb to the trailhead) so I went to OT. A little bit of interweb search will get you there and it's in several books so it's not a secret. If anyone is interested I'll share with inquisitive members of this forum so PM me and I'll line you out. This is not for the faint of fitness and you have to earn your fun but definitely worth your summertime while.

BRM
    There is also a swimming hole out by Gold Canyon. Can't recall the trail name, but did it a couple years ago. Don't think it's bike friendly, but did see some bikes at the TH (they took a different route).
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

Huffy Rider
    I think I have been there. Are there petroglyphs on some of the rocks right near there? I may have to pull up some old pics to see if it is the same place.

Brenda

windrider

next time...

Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I think I have been there. Are there petroglyphs on some of the rocks right near there? I may have to pull up some old pics to see if it is the same place.

Brenda
    MC,

I have to admit that I was so enthralled with the swimming and jumping that I didn't see any nor did I look for any. But now that you've mentioned it...I'm going back next weekend and will spend a bit more time looking around. This place is ancient. The water depth where I'm about to splash was plenty deep and the waterfall didn't gouge it out in the spring runoff. The Hohokam and others probably had this spot staked out long before us fightin whiteys. If, as I posited for a college paper, that, "The purpose of the Arts is to quell boredom," then other ruin sites in the neighborhood tells us that the NA's had time on their hands so it wouldn't surprise me to find some.

BRM
    BRM

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    West Clear Creek?

Pretty sure I've been to that swimming hole. It is in the "Day trips with a Splash" guide right?

windrider

yep...

Quote Originally Posted by textbookonewk View Post
    West Clear Creek?

Pretty sure I've been to that swimming hole. It is in the "Day trips with a Splash" guide right?
    It's called the Big Dipper.
    BRM

wawe member
    Were you wearing a wetsuit?

windrider

neoprene...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Were you wearing a wetsuit?
    Yes. It was a gamble factoring the altitude (5000+, the date (June 11), and the air temperature (70 at noon arrival and maybe 80 at 2:30 departure.) And I was glad that I did although I could have done without it- barely. I was perfectly comfortable and stayed in the water while my friend was tolerably cold and did not get the water and jump time that I did. I will do without it on my next trip. We discussed the timing and decided that June and July are probably the best times. In May the water would most likely have been mean cold and by August your dodging monsoon storms.
    BRM

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It's called the Big Dipper.
    He said it was in the Bradshaws though... Interested to hear where this spot is at.

Meatbomb

windrider

dam techies...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Well, someone had to have the high tech version of the info on this pond so here it is. My low tech offer is now obsolete. However, the link leaves much to be desired and doesn't give the secret to getting out of the hole once you've jumped in from the top of the waterfall or the way around to walk in from the little beach at the downstream end. Also, I don't recommend the scramble the link author did. Wade the creek at that section.

BRM
    Last edited by bigrigmig; 06-29-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: further info after reading link...
    BRM

wawe member
    Well, someone had to have the high tech version of the info on this pond so here it is. My low tech offer is now obsolete. However, the link leaves much to be desired and doesn't give the secret to getting out of the hole once you've jumped in from the top of the waterfall or the way around to walk in from the little beach at the downstream end. Also, I don't recommend the scramble the link author did. Wade the creek at that section.

BRM
    Would 8 rep points get you to spill some of those secrets?

drink coffee, ride.
    looks wonderful

mtbr member
    pure awesomeness!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Very cool!

windrider

racken-dem-up...

Would 8 rep points get you to spill some of those secrets?
    BB, Thanks for the offer but you keep them. About spilling secrets though: I'll tell you something about my time at Winter Park Resort. The Mary Jane side of the mountain had about 15 Rasta Huts that I knew of with word of more. Whenever someone asked about them or wanted to get to one we'd send them to the one at the bottom of Golden Spike or one of the more popular ones. The Cliff Hut was the crown jewel of all of the huts and let's just say that I never sent anyone there, never told anyone its location, and the only way you'd ever get to see it is if I took you. Do you see where I'm going with this?

I hope you enjoy the Big Dipper.

BRM
    BRM

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Gisela is a good hidden gem as well.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

wawe member
    BB, Thanks for the offer but you keep them. About spilling secrets though: I'll tell you something about my time at Winter Park Resort. The Mary Jane side of the mountain had about 15 Rasta Huts that I knew of with word of more. Whenever someone asked about them or wanted to get to one we'd send them to the one at the bottom of Golden Spike or one of the more popular ones. The Cliff Hut was the crown jewel of all of the huts and let's just say that I never sent anyone there, never told anyone its location, and the only way you'd ever get to see it is if I took you. Do you see where I'm going with this?

I hope you enjoy the Big Dipper.

BRM
    I think you're saying that the details are, as Phil Lesh said when asked about the years Mountain Girl was with Jerry, "...one big smokey haze"?

mtbr member
    I think you're saying that the details are, as Phil Lesh said when asked about the years Mountain Girl was with Jerry, "...one big smokey haze"?
    A sarcastic and creative phuck, AND and (I assume) a Deadhead? You're my all time favorite person on this site!!!!!!!!!!

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    A sarcastic and creative phuck, AND and (I assume) a Deadhead? You're my all time favorite person on this site!!!!!!!!!!
    Well, I don't have a tapestry or tie-dyed collection, but I've had a few bean burritos and grilled cheeses out of a van in a parking lot before. I have had a few serious Deadhead friends though, one of them even brought Chris Barron home with him from a show when we were in college. Dude was crashed out on the couch when I walked in, "Dude, is that that dude from the Spin Doctors?", "Yeah, he's following the Dead for a bit and wanted to bum a ride down to the San Diego show tomorrow." This was like '92-'93, when they were selling millions of records and regulars on the MTV. An early member of Spin Doctors was John Popper, before he left to devote more time to Blues Traveler, a wise choice I think. I later worked with John on a movie that he had a small role in, he later invited me to his solo show at HOB when Zygote was released, which was pretty cool.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that if I vanish in the next weekend or two, I went to find the Big Dipper and couldn't find my way out of the hole. And it's all bigrigmig's fault. I hope he can live with that.

mtbr member
    Well, I don't have a tapestry or tie-dyed collection, but I've had a few bean burritos and grilled cheeses out of a van in a parking lot before. I have had a few serious Deadhead friends though, one of them even brought Chris Barron home with him from a show when we were in college. Dude was crashed out on the couch when I walked in, "Dude, is that that dude from the Spin Doctors?", "Yeah, he's following the Dead for a bit and wanted to bum a ride down to the San Diego show tomorrow." This was like '92-'93, when they were selling millions of records and regulars on the MTV. An early member of Spin Doctors was John Popper, before he left to devote more time to Blues Traveler, a wise choice I think. I later worked with John on a movie that he had a small role in, he later invited me to his solo show at HOB when Zygote was released, which was pretty cool.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that if I vanish in the next weekend or two, I went to find the Big Dipper and couldn't find my way out of the hole. And it's all bigrigmig's fault. I hope he can live with that.
    That's funny. My brother ran into the Spin Docters at a Burger King in Florida. Ended up eating Whoppers with Chris at 2 a.m.

Also, the brother of a good friend of mine was good friends with Blues Traveler back in NYC, and ended up doing a documentary on them. Not sure if was ever released.

meow
    This is a great dipping spot as well, and much closer to the Valley...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Summer swimming hole...-2009-11-27_0625.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    This is a great dipping spot as well, and much closer to the Valley...
    That one looks like a beauty!
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Where is this one

mtbr member
    It is so much better when the falls are flowing, I was there about a month and a half ago, it was flowing quite well. We've been going a few times a summer for a few years now, and this last time, the long pool (the one you scrambled past) was only waist deep from all the sediment. Last year it was chin deep. I still recommend wading or swimming through, that scramble is nasty, not to mention kinda tricky. Next time you go, keep heading downstream from these falls. It is fantastic all the way through.
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast