Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fragile - must be Italian

OT - So get this...I caught a guy stealing from me today

I went to lunch with a friend today and rushed home about 1:45pm to jump on a 2pm conference call. As I was approaching my house, I noticed a small 2 door Chevy Cavalier sitting somewhat cockeyed in the street in front of my house with a woman in the driver seat and the passenger door open. I approached slowly, hit the garage door opener (garages are on the side of the house...not near the front door), and some dude starts running from the alcove (front door patio) with a package under his arm. He bolts straight for the car, jumps in the passenger seat, and slams the door shut.

At this point I am still in the street and the other car is facing me about 100' away (I have a very wide house). So I slowly drive towards them and try to angle my car in such a way to cut them off. I started to roll the window down to say "What the f*ck are you doing?" At this point the 2 people in the car are just staring at me as I approach them in my car.

All of the sudden the car jacks it into reverse, they gun it, and off they speed away from me.

I'm still somewhat puzzled about what just happened (and why anybody would want to steal a package from my front stoop)...so I start chasing them. It doesn't take long for me to catch a Cavalier in my Infiniti M45.

The car zigs and zags all through my neighborhood streets at crazy speeds. Sometimes they lock up the tires to make a turn. A few times I thought they were going to lose control of the car. I stay on their tail and they throw the package from the window. I stop to get it and zoom back and catch them again. At this point I am still puzzled as to why they are running so hard...for a stolen package??

Anyway, they zoom through a school zone...speed into another street...and end up on Cactus weaving through traffic almost clipping a few cars. By this time I got the license plate and have 911 on the speaker phone in the car. I describe the car, give the license plate #, and the direction of the chase.

When we get to Thunderbird and Cave Creek, there is a traffic jam...so the Cavalier speeds through the Circle-K parking lot (I am still on their tail). The car suddenly stops in front of the Circle-K, the door opens as if the lady is going to get out...and then the door slams shut and off they zoom again. So I catch up to them again but this time they blaze around 4 cars backed up at a red light on Sweetwater and Cave Creek and then blast through the light at like 70+ MPH nearly causing another accident.

By this time the woman on 911 convinces me to stop chase and go home to talk with the police (she was on the phone with me the entire time).

So I go home, the police arrive in like 2 minutes, and I tell the officer what happened. He is a younger officer with a great sense of humor. He sees my car and says jokingly "how can you let a Cavalier get away in that??"

So I file the police report. The license plate # is accurate as the police verification of the make/model matches what I said (silver 2000-something Cavalier). Weirdly...the location of the owner is Tolleson, probably 30 miles from where I live.

If there is any humor in this...the package these people stole from me was a box of Carb Boom gels. Given the flabby shape of the 2 people in the Cavalier, I doubt they would appreciate it very much (even if it was the delicious Strawberry Kiwi flavor).

Anyway...the cop told me that this is happening in many parts of the city -- where a person will follow a UPS/FedEx/Postal truck and pick up packages that are left on the front door. He said that the Cavalier probably had lots of other stuff in it that was taken from other houses.

I'm not sure what will happen next. The car was a dead match and the cops are supposedly going to pursue pressing charges. I'll keep you posted.

This has been another event in what is turning out to be one of the weirdest weeks of my life.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i hope they catch them, and i hope they're repeated raped in prison

im glad you did that, ive had crap stolen from my house and its infuriating!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi

This has been another event in what is turning out to be one of the weirdest weeks of my life.

don't leave me hanging like this, or I will quit you like i did LOST

mtbr member
    This story would have been better if someone had been killed as a result of your little vigilante car chase. Just sayin.

Pivotal figure
    NIce! At least they kinda had to "work" or those tasty gel packs. Now I'm a bit less comfortable with having stuff delivered to the house. I actually had a guitar delivered and they left it by the front door (not my choice, I thought it would be sent with sig. required). The best part is that it was in a big box with "Gibson" plastered all over it, just in case anyone was wondering if it was worth taking. Luckily, I got home right after it was dropped off. I was plenty annoyed, it only cost about $2k and they just left it by the door....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

caninus xerophilous
    Wow! Thats like a bad mix of Cops, Dog the Bounty Hunter and the Big Lebowski.

I am also gonna be a bit more weary of what I allow to dropped unnattended at my house.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Out with it, Gangi...let's hear it...you know that's why you said that...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Throughout the chase I was imaging you driving with one hand and sipping a mocha with the other. The fact that you stopped to get your package and then caught up with them again is classic!
    Glad no one was hurt.

Kathleen in AZ
    That's just crazy! I'm glad no one was hurt in the chase - that could have ended badly. I have a big package of dog beds (for my sis for Christmas) arriving soon at my front door. I doubt they would fit in a Cavalier

I, Mudd
    I guess I'm fortunate to work in an office that has FedEx and UPS here all the time. I have everything delivered here and I mail all personal mail out from here too.

I would have blown a fuse if I got home and found some a**hole stealing from me.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ggnarl
    This story would have been better if someone had been killed as a result of your little vigilante car chase. Just sayin.
    Yup, I'm surprised no others found a high speed chase through residential areas a problem. Many times even the police don't do this due to the danger it poses to the public.

mtbr member
    I have all my stuff sent to my office, I don't trust anything being left in my neighborhood. I'm lucky enough to be able to do that here, I couldn't at my previous job. (I handle all the UPS/Fedex/Postal stuff here).

I'm so paranoid now after having my bike stolen a few months ago from the front of my house. Glad you got your stuff back, even if it was just some energy gels.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

banned
    He never got the stuff back. The 911 operator told him to end his 70mph chase through residential neighborhoods.

My other ride is your mom
    That sucks, but at least you got your stuff back. I've gotten lax lately since I've had no problems getting tons of stuff delivered to the house. I used to work in a smaller satellite office, so sending packages to work was never a problem. Now that I'm in a much larger facility with a sorting room, I have to send things home. Makes me paranoid just thinking about all the stuff which could have been stolen...

mtbr member
    Crazy story, and you got to write up about your week so far. Even up in the sticks, out of the big city, pond scum are ripping things off. The non-profit outfit I used to work for had its mailbox on a empty county road. In December, its fund raising time, so checks would be sent through the mailbox. One year, the Chevy Cavaliar folks tore open the locked mailbox and stole a bunch of donation checks. It was traced back to Phoenix, some 160 miles away.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

Saucy Size Moderator
    I came home last night to find an unattended bike frame box from BTI just sitting in my alcove -- with the night light on, happily illuminating a thousand dollars of easy pickings.

Glad nobody was hurt, Doug. High-speed car chase for gel paks, very Big Lebowski indeed!

p.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    He never got the stuff back. The 911 operator told him to end his 70mph chase through residential neighborhoods.
    "they throw the package from the window. I stop to get it and zoom back and catch them again"

That's what I read in his story...
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

banned
    Then that leaves a high speed chase through residential neighborhoods over Goo packs.

Note how part of the story became all about his spiffy M45.

I am Bob
    Great story Doug, and I'm glad you got your stuff back.
    I probably would have followed the jerks too. We're all human. If I came home and saw some jackasses stealing stuff from my house I would definitely want to confront them, or at least scare the crap out of them.
    Now I'm just waiting to hear more about the wierdest week.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Note how part of the story became all about his spiffy M45.
    That's an important safety detail. It has the power, brakes and handling to minimize risk. Can you imagine if he'd have been in a U-haul? Sheesh give the guy some credit for being prepared.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Another tale of Gangi-rage! We're gonna have to register you as a lethal weapon, Doug.

p.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Another tale of Gangi-rage! We're gonna have to register you as a lethal weapon, Doug.

p.
    i want to see his special crime-fighting outfit - i've seen doug in lycra, i can only imagine his alter-ego vigilante getup will be something between Iron Man and The Village People.

just remember Paul, he hasnt killed you...yet.

mtbr member
    wwdgd

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    i want to see his special crime-fighting outfit - i've seen doug in lycra, i can only imagine his alter-ego vigilante getup will be something between Iron Man and The Village People.

just remember Paul, he hasnt killed you...yet.
    You've just described my deepest fear: Being killed by a Village Person.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Another tale of Gangi-rage!
    You don't want to make him Gangry.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast