Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    _____
    Jul 2007

OT - Snowbowl Conditions January 27th

I'm planning on taking the day off tomorrow and to ski Snowbowl. Anybody been there today? What are the conditions? Slush or powder? Is it worth the drive?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SiO2 View Post
    I'm planning on taking the day off tomorrow and to ski Snowbowl. Anybody been there today? What are the conditions? Slush or powder? Is it worth the drive?
    Yesteday was a wet and manky affair of sierra cement with most folks in the bar by noon. I hear today was a bit better and less wet and grabby. 26F at the top but still above freezing at the bottom. Tomorrow should be glorious if the 8 to 12" predicted pans out. Win-win when storms finish cold and the snow pack is right side up.

Watch I17. Snow levels are dropping pretty low tonight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey SiO2, There is an actual 2012/2013 snow sliding thread. Check it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Reports on the KachinaPeaks.org web site indicate poor bonding between the new snow and old snow. But lots of new snow -- with more on the way.

More information here:

Kachina Peaks Avalanche Center - Observation/Discussion Boards • View topic - Winter Weather Observations ASB 2012-2013

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I hope it's still good by next Friday, that's when I'll be up there taking advantage of the special they are having. I haven't been sking in three years (two planker) because of bad timing and bad snow days.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

_____
    Jul 2007
    Dbflg, rockman - thanks for the info and link to the avalanche center. It sounds like conditions will be better later in the week. I'll save my precious vacation day for then.

Raisingarizona - the snow sliding thread is great and I've been following it closely. I'm just looking current conditions.

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Was up all day. 21 inches of fresh in least 24. More on way tomorrow. As long as you are into storm riding tomorrow will be epic
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Dbflg, rockman - thanks for the info and link to the avalanche center. It sounds like conditions will be better later in the week. I'll save my precious vacation day for then.

Raisingarizona - the snow sliding thread is great and I've been following it closely. I'm just looking current conditions.
    Better later in the week? How?

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Better later in the week? How?
    Sounds like Tuesday will be the best day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I heard a rumor that the skiing up at Snowbowl has turned to s#$t.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sounds like Tuesday will be the best day.
    It very well could be, let's just hope the wind doesn't come in and do it's thing. See ya out there on Tuesday!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was there today until 1:30pm.

Lots of wet snow in the morning and then it turned to sleet. Conditions were getting pretty lumpy after lunch and fresh tracks were hard to find.

They need to get dumped on or groom the mountain to clean up the slop underneath.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    We did some backcountry skiing on the mountain today. In the trees the powder is pretty good but it sits on an old and sometimes rotten layer so we occasionally broke through. The open areas (e.g., Flying Dutchman, Allison Clay) were too thin with numerous obstacles still present. And the snow on these was a pretty firm wind slab.

Finished the day by skiing out the trail onto the ski area. Nicely groomed so we got in a bunch of fun telly turns.

-db-

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I had fun today! Shred some pow, it was nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Saying the avalanche danger is pretty high on the peaks.

Officials warn of avalanche dangers in the high country | azfamily.com Phoenix

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Saying the avalanche danger is pretty high on the peaks.

Officials warn of avalanche dangers in the high country | azfamily.com Phoenix
    That is not an avalanche forecast it's just a heads up and a reminder that avalanche's are a possibility. It did not say anywhere in that article that avalanche conditions were indeed high. It is actually saying something more like if you don't understand that you are on your own to determine the conditions and don't have the tools and experience to do so than you shouldn't be there. KPAC does not provide avalanche forecasting and they do not have a forecaster to do so. It is merely only an outlet to post observations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That is not an avalanche forecast it's just a heads up and a reminder that avalanche's are a possibility. It did not say anywhere in that article that avalanche conditions were indeed high. It is actually saying something more like if you don't understand that you are on your own to determine the conditions and don't have the tools and experience to do so than you shouldn't be there. KPAC does not provide avalanche forecasting and they do not have a forecaster to do so. It is merely only an outlet to post observations.
    I would say that this says enough about the potential of avalanches without taking on the liability of forecasting avalanche conditions.

Kachina Peaks Avalanche Center: Snow Pack Summary

Monday, January 28, 2013 Noon Time Supplemental Update:
    In the past ~72 hours, ~3.5 inches of snow water equivalent (SWE) have fallen in the innerbasin (snowslide canyon snotel) of the San Franciso Peaks. Arizona Snowbowl received 33″ of snow near tree line during this time period (post). The temperature was near freezing and the snow was dense and wet below treeline. The temperatures have now dropped significantly and the forecast predicts SW winds over 30 MPH and 5-9 inches of more snow. Back country users are now likely to deal with large new-snow slabs and wind slabs. These large slabs may be resting on weak facets and facet/crust “sandwiches”.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Says enough to what? I don't understand what you are saying. Do you have the ability to go out and analyze on your own? You might have a different opinion as far as conditions go on a hour to hour basis if you understood the Peaks snow pack and it's behavior.

mtbr member
    Says enough to what? I don't understand what you are saying. Do you have the ability to go out and analyze on your own? You might have a different opinion as far as conditions go on a hour to hour basis if you understood the Peaks snow pack and it's behavior.
    I don't know RA, rather than thumping your bada$$ backcountry chest I would think this is EXACTLY the warning that those who don't have your wealth of bc travel experience should heed

Those that know how to travel in potentially unstable conditions it' GTG. For the unexperienced, it can be deadly. How would you change the message FPAC is trying to send?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I don't know RA, rather than thumping your bada$$ backcountry chest I would think this is EXACTLY the warning that those who don't have your wealth of bc travel experience should heed

Those that know how to travel in potentially unstable conditions it' GTG. For the unexperienced, it can be deadly. How would you change the message FPAC is trying to send?
    I think the message is a good one but people need to know that the warning is not based on any forecasting and I think some folks are confused, that's all.

I apologize, I sounded like a richard.

My other ride is your mom
    RA.....I know the msg above does not bother you much....but for someone that has no clue how to mitigate and manage the risks, it does.

This is the intent....it's working as planned.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    I would say that this says enough about the potential of avalanches without taking on the liability of forecasting avalanche conditions.
    Kachina Peaks Avalanche Center: Snow Pack Summary
    there is a liability for forecasting avalanche conditions? are we in Italy?
    Italian scientists convicted for not warning about deadly 2009 quake - CBS News

My other ride is your mom
    Yes longhair, there is liability in providing information that indicates that one area might be safe over another area which indicates it is not. If someone gets killed or seriously injured in the area which you "forecasted" to be safe...then in our litigious society, you are liable.

Bottom line: Know before you go....if you don't know, don't go.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i would post a sign "we didnt build the mountain. we didnt make the snow. that **** can come down real fast, just so you know"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    RA.....I know the msg above does not bother you much....but for someone that has no clue how to mitigate and manage the risks, it does.

This is the intent....it's working as planned.
    It was a good message and it didn't claim that there was high danger just a possibility of hazards, I think it's just what KPAC should be putting out there.

I read the post incorrectly. Sorry, imperfect human here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast