EDR

OT: Rudy Project Kalyos?

Just got my RP Kerosene glasses in the mail but they seem really large. Ok for cycling but just look downright goofy on me without a helmet. Ya, I know who cares right?

Anyhow there is a great deal on the Kaylos that look smaller but they list them as 'girls' glasses. Basically a nice black frame but I guess with pink emblems. I don't (think) I have a problem with that but was wondering if anyone out there is rock'n these babies

Thoughts on sizing (if you own either) and my gender non-preferences??? What I love about the Kerosene is the adjustable temple tips, not sure if the Kaylos have the same feature, site is not specific enough for me to figure it out, but I absolutely hate glasses that pinch the back of my head, gives me a headache.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 02-02-2011 at 08:33 PM.

workin' it Administrator
    while was happy to get a set of Rudy Project Ketyums for a birthday present one year, they are in fact the worst riding glasses I have ever used. The optics might be nice but the year and nose grippers do not infact grip. They constantly slide off my face whenever i sweat, the nose pieces constantly come off and get lost as do the ear pieces. It costs $25 + $12 shipping to get a new nose piece, which considering the cost of the Ketyums to begin with ($250 or some insane amount) isn't particularly surprising but I just stopped using them and started using cheap Tifosi glasses.

Hope they have gotten their "technical line" a little more technical for your sakes.
    Try this: HTFU

EDR
    Well rockcrusher, that certainly puts a damper on my day. I have a $30 pair or Tifosi's that I have been using for about 2 years now but they lenses have been scratched for as long as I can remember. Now that I've put some nice clean optics in front of my face I can't believe I've using them this long. Oh well, I might send these back and not even order another pair. I'm paying less than 50% of retail for these so that's a plus.

Rhino
    If you like the Tifosi's keep them. Their customer service is pretty good. I have 3 pairs of the Tifosi Q3, which they don't even make anymore, and I am still able to get the nose pieces and ear pieces through Tifosi. I have not tried to order lens yet, as I use the cases and don't have many scratches.

I like Tifosi, affordable glasses that seem to work really well.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Well rockcrusher, that certainly puts a damper on my day. I have a $30 pair or Tifosi's that I have been using for about 2 years now but they lenses have been scratched for as long as I can remember. Now that I've put some nice clean optics in front of my face I can't believe I've using them this long. Oh well, I might send these back and not even order another pair. I'm paying less than 50% of retail for these so that's a plus.

don't get me wrong they are amazing optics and coatings and the company is top notch, it is just for so many semoleans I expect perfection and they never really achieved them. I also got them through a bike shop at cost for my birthday so it was as big of a hit as if I had paid retail but still for what I paid that would be probably 3 pairs of tifosi.

This was also 5-ish years ago so they may have gotten better. There prices are just so damn high. I mean a replacement set of lenses costs as much as a pair of tifosis with 3 lenses. So you pay to play.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    curious....where did you purchase? what size do you consider your head/face to be? how much time for delivery? what other glasses did you consider?
    i'm in the same boat right now with a small head without a very large selection to choose from. was considering the rudy project line, but expensive. i took a shot in the dark with sportrx.com and their sizing chart and will recieve a pair of spy diablo glasses shortly....i hope. also in the market for a second/backup pair, so any feedback is greatly appriecated.
    j

EDR
    Foamfreak, that's a handful of questions but let me answer what I can.

Purchased from the Rudy website choosing glasses from their 'great deal' section. Delivery was about a week from time I placed my order. Purchased a pair of Revo Hitch prior, but they put pressure behind my ears so much so I sent them back. Those lenses were not too big, in fact top to bottom measurement wise they were much shorter than many "riding" glasses out today. Purchased a pair of Revo Cut Bank the week before. Very light and I liked them but they were big and the earpieces were way long, stuck out behind my head too much, sent them back.

I don't know what to make of my head(size). Guess I'm more on the medium size since so many glasses that look good on the net seem to be big. I think my receding hairline just makes me look dumb in many types of glasses

Urban; I'll keep the Tifosa's but the problem with them is they are photochromatic and just don't get dark enough for the AZ summer/spring..plus the lenses are kinda toast. I don't even wear them in summer, I just wear my everyday Raybans but those have an annoying scratch right in the middle of one of the lenses and they are glass. Not ideal for crashing I suppose.

I'm giving up. Glasses are really something best tried on in a store but that's hard as well. I asked the girl at SunglassHut if they carried Rudy Project...she said, "No, I've never even heard of those". Zappos has a fantastic policy though, so going with them costs no money if you make a return.

RCrusher; These Kerosenes fit very well since you can custom fit them. I don't see any way they would move on my face even one mm, even with sweat involved, but alas....I look like an angry bug My daughter said, "Wow dad! Those glasses are FIERCE". I don't think it was meant as a compliment, lol.

Me with my Hitch glasses last week. They look ok, just didn't feel good. After hours of walking around Tempe Town Lake I had a headache.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT:  Rudy Project Kalyos?-zxxxxxxxxxwwwww.jpg  

Last edited by eatdrinkride; 02-03-2011 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    For on the bike, the rudy kerosene worked great for years. Off the bike never wore them.
    The Oakley Radar are real comfortable on the bike and look ok off. I usually wear my wire frames off the bike.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy
    For on the bike, the rudy kerosene worked great for years. Off the bike never wore them.
    The Oakley Radar are real comfortable on the bike and look ok off. I usually wear my wire frames off the bike.
    I can see that. The Kerosene's look fine with a helmet on, but dorky as hell without. I'll consider keeping them for riding only....I guess. I've spent way too many calories on this whole issue. I go through this kinda thing every few years.

What I love about the RP glasses is that you can replace the lenses (not get extra) for 20 bucks. Heck, the 3x polarized lenses that came with mine run 90 bucks at least. Nothing has ever gone wrong with any of my sunglasses except the lenses. Makes the cost (paid 100 bucks for a $230 pair of glasses, not that they're worth that to me) seem well worth it. IDK

EDR
    Ok. For those of you just hanging on to the edge of your seat with my dilemma, I've decided to keep the Kerosenes and use them for riding only. The Family has spoke and they agree they look just fine with a helmet on, and ridiculously goofy without. Good enough for me

These are very nice glasses and I love the custom fit I can get with them. Goodnight all, rest easy with my decision, lol.