vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

OT: Road tubeless ???

I have a question for the mountain bikers that also ride road bikes.

Do you run tubeless on your road bikes ?

I don't have any insights into the road scene, so don't know how the technology of road gear compares to mountain bikes. Can you run tubeless or even ghetto tubeless on road bikes these days ?

With the high tire pressures, will sealant still work ? Do you get the better handling that we get with tubeless mountain bike tires ?

Appreciate any insights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb View Post

I don't have any insights into the road scene, so don't know how the technology of road gear compares to mountain bikes. Can you run tubeless or even ghetto tubeless on road bikes these days ?

With the high tire pressures, will sealant still work ? Do you get the better handling that we get with tubeless mountain bike tires ?

Appreciate any insights.
    Been years since I've been on my road bike, but the qustion is, why would you want to. The main benefit of tubeless is less pressure. Road cycling, don't you want to run higher pressure for faster speeds?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    There are a few tubeless road wheels/tires out there, but since the technology is fairly new for road, its really only the high-end stuff, like Dura Ace.

The idea behind it for road, is that, since you don't have to worry about pinch flatting, you don't have to run 120psi. And they claim that the slightly lower pressure will let the tire absorb small bumps/rocks rather than skip off them, robbing speed.

They were all about it a few years ago, but I haven't heard much about it since then. I know they still sell tubeless road wheels/tires. Would be something cool to try, although I'm fairly certain they aren't using ANY sealant at all (UST-style). I would NOT try to do a "ghetto-tubeless" conversion with a road tire, as the high pressure would probably result in an ugly accident.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Road cycling, don't you want to run higher pressure for faster speeds?

Much like in MTBing, at lower pressures the tire can conform to irregularities instead of "bouncing back" at you.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb View Post

Appreciate any insights.
    Yes, it's a little different then "ghetto tubeless" for MTB though. You need to use a tubeless tire, a regular road tire does not have a strong enough bead. Use the yellow tape, sealant and road valve stems from Stan's, don't try to get away with a split tube or other MTB solutions on a regular road rim. There are tubeless road wheel options these days, which still require a tubeless tire but not the tape job.

I've used the Hutchinson Fusion 3 Roadtubeless (note, there is also a non-tubeless fusion) with great results. Long life, easy setup, multiple punctures that sealed up without me having to stop.

Been years since I've been on my road bike, but the qustion is, why would you want to. The main benefit of tubeless is less pressure. Road cycling, don't you want to run higher pressure for faster speeds?
    1. Just like mtb tubeless, puncture protection.

2. Lower psi, I went from 110 with a normal 23c to 90 with the Fusion 23c. More (much more) comfortable ride and from what I recall of those German roll resistance tests, lower RR due to the tire conforming to small imperfections instead of pushing the whole bike up and over them. I think higher psi is maybe faster on a nice, perfect track surface.

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Listen! Not asking for myself

Fair enough question, so in response, I have never been on a road bike nor do I want to.

I'm interested in suggestions so I can respond back to my brother in-law. He's the roadie and was complaining about a ruined ride due to a flat. I know the benefits of tubeless on mountain bikes, but do not know what is happening on the road scene so thought I would ask here because I know some of you do both.

Can you run road tires tubeless and if so, do you get the puncture protection it offers mountain bikes ? (with sealants).

In my brother in-laws case, it is a unique situation in that he was running a tubular tire with sealant and suffered a slice rather than a puncture, so in this instance, he was screwed anyway. But before he swore off running tubeless all together, I thought I would ask if it's a viable solution in most cases ?

(slices to a sidewall are still an issue for tubless mountain bike tires, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule).

Again, feedback and suggestions are appreciated.

AZ
    banned
    AFAIK Hutchison and Bonty are the only tubeless tires available. I cannot speak of using normal tires with sealant, I have not tried it. A slice is less likely with a tubeless tire but would result in a flat even with sealant. Sealant is good for normal punctures, glass, thorns, debris etc, much like MTB tubeless.

Black and Sticky
    I've been giving serious consideration to this: www.notubes.com/Road-Tubeless-C78.aspx

Also, check this out: www.notubes.com/Alpha-Road-Wheels-C58.aspx

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

It ain't easy being Green
    More info here:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...al-bike_177569

The bottom line is that there isn't the demand from the roadie community for tubeless, certainly from the pros and what they want has a huge effect on what wannabe amateurs want too. When a rider on tubeless starts winning races you will see a trickle-down effect, until then it will be a niche market.

I'd be all over tubeless road tires if there was the same choice as in the MTB world.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker View Post
    I'd be all over tubeless road tires if there was the same choice as in the MTB world.
    Thats been my hold-up on going to a tubeless (or conversion) on my road bikes is the lack of tire choice.

I ride Vredstein Fortezza Tri-comps on my road bike (at 165 PSI) and I'm a big guy (6'6 - 260+) and really don't have a lot of flat issues (so far 1 per year - both on the rear as I've let the tire wear too far)
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    I've been giving serious consideration to this: www.notubes.com/Road-Tubeless-C78.aspx

Also, check this out: www.notubes.com/Alpha-Road-Wheels-C58.aspx

Bob
    The 1st link looks like a winner to me!
    If your rims are good, why not?

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure Randyharris runs caffelatex in his row bike.
    Try PMing him for details!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin View Post
    I'm pretty sure Randyharris runs caffelatex in his row bike.
    Try PMing him for details!
    I use a product from Tufo in my tubular tires - looks, feels, and smells a lot like Stans sealant.
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!