mtbr member
    Oct 2008

OT: are rats doing this to my garage?

lived here in the valley about a yr and a half. i've got a detatched garage and live in laveen on the north side of south mtn. i swept the garage a couple weeks ago so no dirt, twigs or stuff was on the floor. came back from vacation and i've got a bunch of what i think y'all call goat heads under one of my cabinets. things that look like cockleburs on steroids? i've seen rats and mice running around out there before, plus with all the droppings i know they're all over, but is that who is bringing in these cactus bits?

are rats this tough out here? hope i don't tick any of them off.

thx mucho, jason

mtbr member
    Could be! This is the only state I've lived in where rats have been this destructive. I've rewired my outdoor lighting, only to do it again in 2 months- this time in pvc. Also, one time my old car wouldn't start, the bastards chewed through the battery to drink up some of the acid. They're ferocious, beware. Don't leave any pet food where they can get to it, and don't think D-Con will help you either- it just gives them a buzz.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madduck View Post
    lived here in the valley about a yr and a half. i've got a detatched garage and live in laveen on the north side of south mtn. i swept the garage a couple weeks ago so no dirt, twigs or stuff was on the floor. came back from vacation and i've got a bunch of what i think y'all call goat heads under one of my cabinets. things that look like cockleburs on steroids? i've seen rats and mice running around out there before, plus with all the droppings i know they're all over, but is that who is bringing in these cactus bits?

thx mucho, jason
    Do you see what could be described as orange peels in it? More than likely it's a chubacabra. Or, possibly a jackalope.

(Is a cocklebur similar to a dingleberry?)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    (Is a cocklebur similar to a dingleberry?)
    Just got to be a little more careful when you grab it to tear it off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er View Post
    Just got to be a little more careful when you grab it to tear it off.
    Are you referring to the cockleburr or dingleberry?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Are you referring to the cockleburr or dingleberry?
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Are those dingleberries on steroids cholla balls?
    I used to live in Tucson, and out in the desert we had a big problem with (pack?) rats. It is amazing how they can handle those nasty cholla balls, which are great protection for their nests.

Anyway, I had a problem in my garage, with holes in the dog food bags and droppings everywhere. I put out these rat poison blocks but they never seemed to help, even though they would disappear right after I put them out.

One day, I was going to take the refrigerator in my garage to Goodwill, since it was unplugged and never used. I used the dolly to lean it back, which exposed the back of the refrigerator, and it was packed with dogfood, top to bottom, with several chunks of rat poison blocks mixed in. YIKES!
    I mean packed. Then, the rats came out.
    It was a pitiful sight, as they stumbled out with their eyeballs bleeding. They were blind from munching on the rat poison, but I guess they didn't eat enough to kill them.
    So, I had these rats on the loose with bloody eyeballs, stumbling through my garage, which I then had to put out of their misery using a shovel. It was a disturbing event, overall.
    After that job was done, I decided the refrigerator was going to the dump, instead of Goodwill.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I used to live in Tucson, and out in the desert we had a big problem with (pack?) rats. It is amazing how they can handle those nasty cholla balls, which are great protection for their nests.

Anyway, I had a problem in my garage, with holes in the dog food bags and droppings everywhere. I put out these rat poison blocks but they never seemed to help, even though they would disappear right after I put them out.

One day, I was going to take the refrigerator in my garage to Goodwill, since it was unplugged and never used. I used the dolly to lean it back, which exposed the back of the refrigerator, and it was packed with dogfood, top to bottom, with several chunks of rat poison blocks mixed in. YIKES!
    It was a pitiful sight, as they stumbled out with their eyeballs bleeding. They were blind from munching on the rat poison, but I guess they didn't eat enough to kill them.
    So, I had these rats on the loose with bloody eyeballs, stumbling through my garage, which I then had to put out of their misery using a shovel. It was a disturbing event, overall.
    After that job was done, I decided the refrigerator was going to the dump, instead of Goodwill.
    Pics or it did not happen. Kidding. That is freaking crazy!

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post

Ahahahahaha!
    Smack em w/a shovel!

High Desert MTBer
    That's why I always carry a gun when I go to the garage...

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    That's why I always carry a gun when I go to the garage...
    I prefer a small pocket knife for hand to hand combat (its better if the rats are not blind)
    Guns are for NYC rats, which are the size of small dogs!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    a chupacabra i can handle, rats...not so much. blind rats with bleeding eyes, i'm looking to see if stephen king has moved into the neighborhood. glad i didn't read that before bed last night.

and re: dingleberry vs cocklebur, doesn't it really depend on how much fiber you've had in your diet as to which one you've got to deal with?

mtbr member
    and re: dingleberry vs cocklebur, doesn't it really depend on how much fiber you've had in your diet as to which one you've got to deal with?
    1 tablespoon of Metamucil each morning and you shouldn't have to deal with either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

thx mucho, jason
    The mice near my place just hoard pea pods under the hood of my car and bite through random wires necessary for the engine to run......

I also blame them for my rep power.....

Eroding into the trail
    ^
    Lil bastards are probably trying to hotwire your car!
    You've seen the commercials on TV; rats like to hotrod & need parts!

Meatbomb
    I had roof rats 3 years ago... buggers give me the willies just knowing they are around. I stripped all the citrus off my trees and have kept them bare for the last couple years.. rats moved on to someone elses yard.

They would crawl inside my BBQ and eat the greasy bits. I really got tired of having to clean my grill before every use. they would build nest in it if i went more then a few days without using it.

Boriqua Puneta
    wooooaaa! Thats exacly what a zombie rat would look like in Resident Evil. Huge rats with bloody eyes. Thats scarrier than the killer dogs.
    Only type of shuttle I ride....the ambulance!