Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shovel Ready

No good OT Rant - Not happy with Cox.

I have the whole package, phone, Internet and cable TV. For at last a month I've been the losing cable signal to a degree. Also the information data gets lost and changing channels is very slow. If you unplug the box it's good for another 24 hours and then it starts getting crappy again, multiple boxes. Tonight I finally call them and ask what's up. They admit to the problem and admit the only fix at this time is unplugging the box. I also have a dead remote (not battery) and asked about a service call. They now charge $ 50.00 dollars if its not their equipment! Which you know that's always going to be the case. I ask since you know about the TV issue is there a credit for poor service, nope!

Now I get there is a cost for service. But I drop $165.00 a month and we used to always have free service calls. Not sure when they changed that policy. But they might have considered waving it since they know they have issues with their signal to begin with.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    I laughed when I read the title. Welcome back to the team!

I am Walt
    I, too, have the bundle, and it's been pretty good for me. I've had HD service for 3+ years, and shortly after picking that up was experience a ton of tiling (macroblocking). They came out for free and diagnosed a lower-than-optimal signal strength, and put on an amplifier, again for free, and everything has been fine since.

It's weird, but sometimes when it's really windy, the internet goes down. Makes no sense, but it's a consistent pattern.

Anyways, we've considered dropping the home phone and just going with cells, and moving the TV to DirectTV. But what to do about the internet? There is no comparable broadband service (Qwest DSL blows), so you are kind of stuck with Cox for internet. The only alternative I'd want is Verizon FiOS, but they're not in this market. That would be the bomb!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I second staying away from the Quest DSL. We have it at the shop and it's been ok, but much slower than Cox.

pedaller
    Anyways, we've considered dropping the home phone and just going with cells, and moving the TV to DirectTV.
    We did that in 2002 when we got married. We also cancelled both our AOL accounts and went with Cox for internet for the same $.

We couldn't be happier.

FYI - a friend of mine also worked for Cox at the time. I asked him why they were trying SO hard to get me to bundle the cable service with my internet and he said because if you have the high-speed internet service, then you already have the basic cable service too. Cox couldn't block it SO I cancelled the local channels (which I was paying extra for on Direct TV at the time) and plugged the cable into my TV and got cable - for free. Still do.

The thing we love most about eliminating the home phone was no more telemarketing calls and no more "checking the machine" when we got home...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Shovel Ready
    We went T1 at the office. XO had a great business package. It's like a 1/2 T1 line, forget how many lines that is. 5 lines for phone 1 for the fax the the rest are for Internet access. 100K free long distance minutes per month. Whole package for like $ 499.00 a month. Which is not bad since our 800 long distance bill used to be that alone.

Cox just got under my skin for admitting to the problem! Yet were unwilling to work with the customer. I know the person on the phone was just following procedure.
    Last edited by Cycle64; 07-21-2008 at 09:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I know this sounds weird but I would call back and get a different tech. I usually do that until I get what I'm looking for. I think the key is to hang up before you reach a resolution so they don't put too many notes on your account.

For my job I used to be on the phone with Dell a lot. Rule number one - always call the gold tech support number and fiend ignorance.(They'll sometimes take care of you because your already on the line) Rule two - hang up if your not getting your way. Repeat from rule one.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can you get any tv channels without using a cable service??? Rabbit ears or just running a coaxil cable from the wall to the back of the tv. ????

pedaller
    If you have their high-speed internet service, you have their cable service too. At least we still do.

We just put a splitter on the cable and then plugged it into the tv.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd have to agree with cox's poor service. We moved into our apartment a month ago, and the first five or six days I had to call maybe 30! times to get our internet connection to finally work. Then after that the cable TV is extremely slow, and every time I try to use the guide the dang tv just freezes! I've decided to cancel the TV since it just makes me lazy anyways.

Before I moved here, in Va., Cox was not as bad, but the picture would still have these wierd glitches, and it happened about every ten minutes or so. Cox said they were working on it

Sup?

Fine with Qwest in Gilbert

Have been happy with Qwest VDSL in Gilbert. I have to admit
    when I call and get their techs (for Internet support) they really
    know WTF they are doing. I know, as I deal with this sort of stuff
    day in/out (networking, UNIX, Macs, PeeCees etc so maybe it's just
    me, and knowing enough techno mumbo jumbo to get past the
    'Tier 1' folks..? whatever.
    (I rarely have to call them.. probably 5 times in 10 years?)

The speed is slower compared to Cox, was super solid when we lived
    closer to the main switch gear cabinet, moved down the street, probably
    200-300 yards and we cant run at the highest setting.

Downside (no HD) but I get that using an OTA (over the air antenna)
    Upside (the total bill per month for 1.5Mb internet, Std. Def TV
    with 3 sep. channels/feeds and land line is just around $100)

If I killed off the TV to the *basic* package, that would drop another
    $20 from the bill.

They only rolled out this service in portions of the valley.. and I think
    its been somewhat hit/miss for them, (qwest) depending upon the
    neighborhood, but seems to work fine here.

and yes I'm watching the TdF on the huntin/fishin/cagefighting er uh
    Versus channel (included in theirbasic package) now

Looked into Direct TV HD.. the prices are 'stunning' for a 3 television
    setup.. dont watch enough tube to justify it.. and since adding an
    upscaling DVD/VCR combo inline you know the picture doesnt look *that* bad.

Mind you, I'm not a home theater purist/freak though.
    Last edited by honemastert; 07-22-2008 at 06:26 AM.

sixsixtysix
    Have they installed OnDemand in your area yet? (Channel 1). If not, they may be upgrading your area to the new 1ghz standard to provide the bandwidth needed for the OnDemand service.

When they were doing it here in south PHX, the TV signal was doing exactly what you are describing. It would pixelate and freeze constantly and the internet basically crawled to a stand still.

Once the upgrade was complete everything went back to normal on the TV and the internet has been faster than ever. I just ran this test, about 30Mbit download and 3Mbit uploads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Too many Sedonuts...
    Tim that sucks. But keep paying your bill. If you don't they'll cut off your Cox....

When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Shovel Ready
    They keep calling me every night telling me about all the new features of OnDemand. Like I said they admitted there is an issue in my area. What got me going more than anything was the $ 50.00 service call. I'm renting the equipment from them! They what to charge me $ 50.00 to come out and check it. Now in all fairness to Cox they said there would be no charge if it was their stuff. But I also can do some networking stuff as I pretty much keep our office system running. Last time I had an Internet issue. Kid kept telling me it was my broadband modem. I told him he was full of it but go ahead and swap it out with the new one he wanted to charged me for. He does and it still does not work. He then he makes a few calls. Says I need to set that modem and mine was bad. Said BS, put mine back on and call in and set the IP. Guess what mine worked fine and still does to this day. Thus the reason I got a little bothered by the $50.00 service call.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Tim that sucks. But keep paying your bill. If you don't they'll cut off your Cox....

LOL, needed a good laugh this morning.

Ouch, I am hot!
    I took my busted remote in Monday to a local Cox "outlet" and Cox gave me a new one, no questions asked. We'll see if they have my account information from the old remote. They did not ask.

In any case, I too have it all through Cox and the service has been fairly good. The DVR players are a bit noisy and they will crap out and need to be re-booted at times, but overall nothing major to complain about.

I now have On Demand as it just appeared one day. It works, but it is spotty. I would say that I get an error message about 40% of the time when I try to play a movie.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Saucy Size Moderator
    What's this? No cracks from the Qwest guys about the "Cox suckers"?

p.

watched too much Deadwood this summer
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Meatbomb
    I've been experiencing the same issue with internet. A couple times a day it just stops responding to the modem for about 15-20 minutes. Since I try to work remote from home as much as possible it can be very annoying,.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    I've been experiencing the same issue with internet. A couple times a day it just stops responding to the modem for about 15-20 minutes. Since I try to work remote from home as much as possible it can be very annoying,.
    That's kind of my point. They know there is a glitch and their solution is to unplug the box. This happens every day. I get annoyed watching the Tour or something else and have to pull the plug so the picture is not all boxed out. How am I supposed to watch Hasselback tear up with a fuzzy picture?

Meatbomb
    I have no issues with TV.. It's only my internet connection.

at least not that I know of but I'm never watching the boob tube in the middle of the day when the internet issue occurs.

Professional Amateur

similar problems

I have the bundle w/ ~DSL speed cable, phone, and HDTV. They just sent out a postcard saying the rates are going to jump about $5/month. I was interested in getting a DVR and the rep told me it would add on $12 a month to which I replied $12 more or $7 more as I am already paying an "extra" $5/month for the rental of a HD capable box. He insisted it was a flat $12 more than what I was currently paying.

I have also had problems with outages and reboots necessary for the cable box to keep working. I am on the verge of going back to Qwest for a package deal although I imagine the bundle will end up being about the same price as what I am paying now. I would drop the house phone all together but for some reason I feel I still need it, not sure why.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    I have no issues with TV.. It's only my internet connection.

at least not that I know of but I'm never watching the boob tube in the middle of the day when the internet issue occurs.
    I've had the internet issue for years - no pattern that I can pinpoint. The solution is first release\renew your ip on your router, or, unplug the router and recycle it. Takes about a minute. I think its a byproduct of dynamic IP assignment, and healthchecks on a busy mixed-use network with diverse hardware ages and types. I have on occasion thought that using a VPN through my router might be part of the issue, but it could be that when I am working I am on the computer consistently so notice it more regularly. Cox has never been able to help me, but on this one I am unable to ever give them regular or reliable reports. You can't expect them to solve what they can not identify and recreate. My modem has always checked out when I've been on the phone with them - could simply be a dropped request that has to expire from some component's queue before your connection comes alive again. I blame my neighbors HD for making my segment busy!!

Over the last 2 days, we've had a technology conference here at work where I am talking to some of our Net Ops people. They have made me conclude that on any level there is no such a thing as a network that does not need massaging and supervision. Dealing with consumer products for technology issues is a nightmare on top of all that - consumers wrt software and technology want commodity-priced solutions with no maintenance that are idiot-proof and that is basically impossible to provide to all people all the time. Think about all of us and how we want want want with bikes and want a shop to read our minds all for minimal cost and rapid turnaround -- its impossible to do it all.

wrt to the tiling issue, I saw that for a while when we went to HD service last year. Essentially, we wanted new technology on old and existing hardware. Cox's upgrades to some of their infrastructure solved this issue. It is likely to be an ongoing problem for various parts of the Valley for a little while until all upgrades are completed and issues worked out. FWIW - i shared this thread with my wife who works in the Forecasting dept for Cox, and this info is from her.

I have never had bad support from Cox's tech support, but, if you are knowledgable and proactive you get your problem solved better. Like what honemastert said. Again I think the analogy to bikes and bike shops, and the "perfect world" expectations of the average consumer vs. the knowledgable consumer need to be considered here. My most recent support call was about a month ago when Cox's webmail site was rejecting my outbound emails sent from my office. The tier 1 tech ultimately gave me an accurate but unhelpful solution to the effect of "something in your local router is being seen by our email server as fraudulent." He tried to end the call, I politely pursued him for more info and began asking for details on topics that were beyond him - asked him to review my tracerts, nslookups etc. He then passed me onto a Tier 2 tech who within 5 minutes helped me identity that one of our routers were turning up on a blacklist used by Cox's mail servers. I then passed that very accurate and specific info onto our Net Ops team, and within a day it was fixed.

I don't hold a $50 support call against Cox when gas is $4 a gallon, especially when the OP is bringing 3rd party hardware into the discussion. I am pretty sure Cox offers a program where for like $4 a month you can get free service calls.

Dave

I'll jump in here with my two cents

I recently heard about TMobile home phone for $10 a month. If you have DishTV or DIrectTV you still need to have a land line. So that killed that idea. I too have been seeing the tiling alot more lately. I have a cox, my wife has my balls . So she claimed one day on a MTB ride. "I keep his balls in my saddle bag. To which we all laughed.
    I'm tired of all the fee's for **** that used to be FREE. I swear someday I'm just going to drop the whole mess and get a antenna. Which I did a couple of weeks ago. I bought a antenna from walmart for $50, worked good but not enough channels nowadays. If worked fine, got HD and all.

Where is all the news these days -------- on BBC thats where.
    Whats wrong with our country ?????

I

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    I don't hold a $50 support call against Cox when gas is $4 a gallon, especially when the OP is bringing 3rd party hardware into the discussion. I am pretty sure Cox offers a program where for like $4 a month you can get free service calls.
    If you're paying an extra $4.00 a month. It's not really free now is it!

My 3rd party cable modem has nothing to do with COX's poor TV signal.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    If you're paying an extra $4.00 a month. It's not really free now is it!

My 3rd party cable modem has nothing to do with COX's poor TV signal.
    I think from your business described in your posts its clear to you that you're buying a service contract, and you're just griping. what company doesn't charge for visits today? and if I re-read one of your posts correctly, you said Cox told you they would give you a free service call if you used their equipment? I haven't had a service call from Cox in 7 years, I use their equipment exclusively, so I don't see why my bills should reflect your problems and the money you saved buying your own modem?

I'm sure your 3rd party cable modem is not related to poor signal due to the need for infrastructure upgrades, but it may very well be a contributing factor in the final product you receive. Unless you are an expert in the field, you certainly can't rule that out.

There are lots of projects and programs I use that are free, or I've customized, and with all of them I trade off fees for my own efforts. There are lots of things I do not know a lot about so I pay for coverage and for someone else to assume the liability. I do think the customer service could have been better, but that is the only real gripe I see you having.

Just my opinion, I've tried to keep it respectful, so no hard feelings I hope.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast