Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EDR

OT: prepaid smart phone anyone?

If using prepaid smart phone plan what do you use and how do you like it?

Just ordered a Google Nexus 4, unlocked and with the true and open Android OS as it was meant to be...I want no part of a contract. Been there, done that. I have several options which include TMoble, Virgin, the one from Wally World, and Sprint/ATT I think.

mtbr member
    If its CDMA you can use Boost Mobile. It is owned by Sprint and runs on thier network. I beleive it is still $55 a month. I had one when a company I worked with was sponsored by them and it worked just as well as my personal Sprint phone everywhere we went across the USA.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

EDR
    Not CDMA, at least I don't think.

GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Tmoble has as offering for $30 a month. Unlimited data and text. 100 minutes of voice. The beauty of it is though is that with the Google Voice App you can port your phone # to a GV account...and it doesn't count as voice minutes, only data. There might be some limitations to that set up but I can choose not to use GV if needed. Also for $45 or $50 they offer unlimited everything...prepaid. Seems like a nice deal for a single phone. Contracts seem better for 'family' plans.

Give it a crank
    +1 on T-Mobile prepaid, unlimited data for $30/mo. at 4G speeds is great. Biggest bang-for-buck I know. I hear Cricket has some good plans too.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    +1 on T-Mobile prepaid, unlimited data for $30/mo. at 4G speeds is great. Biggest bang-for-buck I know. I hear Cricket has some good plans too.
    I just ordered a micro sim card from TMobile for a $1.08..shipped, so I guess I'll give them a try. I can easily go elsewhere if I don't like it. Ahhh.....an unlocked phone, looking forward to it.

Give it a crank
    The Google Nexus 4 was out of stock for a long time, it's a great phone. It's the one I would have gotten if they were in stock when I checked.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    The Google Nexus 4 was out of stock for a long time, it's a great phone. It's the one I would have gotten if they were in stock when I checked.

Ya, stock has been a nightmare for them. It's in stock now. Shows 1 to 2 weeks to ship but I ordered mine Tue night and it will be here tomorrow. $300 is a great price, comparatively speaking.

mtbr member
    I have been running the Tmobile plan for a bit on a Galaxy Nexus, loving it! I couldn't get VOIP to work acceptably so I usually go over the 100 min but at 10 cents a minute, my bill is always under $40 for the month.

My wife tried the StraightTalk plan from Walmart because she was worried about coverage on TMobile... worked well until her phone took a dump after 90 days. Customer service has been HORRIBLE getting the replacement (their standard process takes about 3 weeks to get the phone, plus they will keep charging your account during that time). Finally talked her in to ebaying the replacement when it comes and switching to TMobile with a Nexus 4.

mtbr member
    Do any of the prepaids use the Verizon network? I love the coverage of Verizon, but damn, they make you pay for it.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i have a prepaid regular phone with verizon,, it was $100 for the year.
    i already owned the phone though, i just downgraded it when shana got her smartphone plan with verizon, so it's possible the price was discounted further with those two factors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Do any of the prepaids use the Verizon network? I love the coverage of Verizon, but damn, they make you pay for it.
    The only one I found besides Verizon itself is straight talk. They have both att and Verizon. However the one Verizon capable phone is a piece of junk and there customer service is the worst of any company I have ever experienced. They will outright lie to get you of the phone and never honored anything they told us. Not worth the low price.

EDR
    Ok stupid complete smart phone newbie question:

What app do I need if any...to view mtbr and other websites on my phone???????? I am clueless. Tapatalk??what the heck is that for?

mtbr member
    i have a smartphone thru Verizon (don't think it matters). MTBR on it looks just like it does on my computer. Just use the internet on your phone, no app needed. Tapatalk cost 4.99, and I'm too cheap to pay for an app, plus I like that the site is seamless form my phone to my laptop. Plus I get instant notifications thru gmail of new posts to subscribed threads!
    oops, forgot to ad that alot of websites recognize that you are on a phone and switch to a 'mobile view'. There is generally an option at the bottom of the site that gives you the option to switch to 'desktop'
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    i have a smartphone thru Verizon (don't think it matters). MTBR on it looks just like it does on my computer. Just use the internet on your phone, no app needed. Tapatalk cost 4.99, and I'm too cheap to pay for an app, plus I like that the site is seemless form my phone to my laptop. Plus I get instant notifications thru gmail of new posts to subscribed threads!
    ya, I realize I can view any website on my phone but I thought there were mobile apps to make them more user friendly. Viewing mtbr on a 4.7'' screen the way it's meant to laid out is kind of a pita. Maybe I'm expecting too much...maybe I'm just clueless.

mtbr member
    Nah, to each his own. My phone auto fits the page to the screen, i happen to like it that way. You may like tapatalk, others do.
    MTBR doesnt have a dedicated app, people have been asking for it thoough.

Ebay has one, and I find it not as user friendly as the mobile website or the desktop website on my phone. YMMV, thats part of the excitement of getting something new, messing around with it for 3-4 days and getting it all dialed in, just like a new bike!!
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Nah, to each his own. My phone auto fits the page to the screen, i happen to like it that way. You may like tapatalk, others do.
    MTBR doesnt have a dedicated app, people have been asking for it thoough.

Ebay has one, and I find it not as user friendly as the mobile website or the desktop website on my phone. YMMV, thats part of the excitement of getting something new, messing around with it for 3-4 days and getting it all dialed in, just like a new bike!!
    Ok thanks. Sounds like options are a mobile dedicated website, standard website or some app available to some but not all websites...or tapatalk whatever that is for. My phone is really beautiful but comes with zero information on how to use it. I'll tackle it after a few beers!

I am Walt

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Ok thanks. Sounds like options are a mobile dedicated website, standard website or some app available to some but not all websites...or tapatalk whatever that is for. My phone is really beautiful but comes with zero information on how to use it. I'll tackle it after a few beers!
    Tapatalk rocks...great app for forums like this.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Tapatalk rocks...great app for forums like this.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    It's 4 bucks so I'll give it a try. I wonder if I can download it to my google account and sync it later. I don't have my sim card yet so I can't even make a phone call. I'm sure it's doable.

mtbr member

Anyone in Flagstaff doing t-mobile 4G? How does coverage / speed compare to VZW? It's been years since I had tmobile or GSM. This is just the kind of service price range I have been looking for :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Page Plus is a MVNO that uses the Verizon network. However they only allow older 3G phones (rumors are this will change this year) and with their standard plan data cost a ton. They have monthly plans that included some data.

I have an old school Verizon post paid flip phone that I carry in my Camelbak just in case it cost me $10 every 4 months.

EDR

Re: OT: prepaid smart phone anyone?

Update...this google phone is DA bomb and the tapatalk app is great. I've tried mtbr with and without it and it definitely works better for me with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    just a FYI...

the $30 100min/5gb tmobile plan doesn't really work with google voice :-/ er well at least not the visual voicemail (the part I most loved about GV)... people have managed to get the VM turned off on their service, and then only use the GV number so it can be made to work but tmobile prepaid doesn't do call forwarding voicemail that is required to use GV with your tmobile number.

also GV do VOIP... for VOIP you can use a 3rd party app (grooveIP is a a good one).

anyway I'm jealous of your nexus4... the price to performance ratio is amazing... if T-mobile works well in your area they are the way to go... if you choose to go with one of their MVNO's and travel beware as they don't get the same coverage that tmobile prepaid/postpaid users get (they have contracts with smaller operators), my wife is in SIMple mobile and while traveling with her mother (a tmobile prepaid customer) my wife would loose signal while the prepaid kept working and working.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    just a FYI...

the $30 100min/5gb tmobile plan doesn't really work with google voice :-/ er well at least not the visual voicemail (the part I most loved about GV)... people have managed to get the VM turned off on their service, and then only use the GV number so it can be made to work but tmobile prepaid doesn't do call forwarding voicemail that is required to use GV with your tmobile number.

also GV do VOIP... for VOIP you can use a 3rd party app (grooveIP is a a good one).

anyway I'm jealous of your nexus4... the price to performance ratio is amazing... if T-mobile works well in your area they are the way to go... if you choose to go with one of their MVNO's and travel beware as they don't get the same coverage that tmobile prepaid/postpaid users get (they have contracts with smaller operators), my wife is in SIMple mobile and while traveling with her mother (a tmobile prepaid customer) my wife would loose signal while the prepaid kept working and working.
    The tmobile coverage is lacking from what I can tell but so far so good in the big city of phx. I doubt I'll be so happy with it on trips up north but we'll see. I installed GrooveIP last night and so far I am able to make VOIP calls from my phone...with no minutes deducted of course.

What I need to do next is figure out how to receive calls with GroovIP when I'm connected to the net. The GrooveIP paid version supports not just WIFI but 3G/4G, or so I read.

Professional Amateur
    If you want Verizon coverage (or at least the lion's share of it) check out PagePlus Cellular. They are resellers of the Verizon network. You can use CDMA phones and choose your plan w/o contract. I was using "The 55" which is something like 3000 voice, 3000 txt and 2 Gb data. I wasn't using nearly that much so I stepped down to the $30/month plan - 1200 voice 2000 txt and 250 Mb data. You can activate your phone online and so far I have not noticed any coverage drops where my Verizon contract phone used to work. The iPhone is not supposed to be allowed but mine has been fine for the past 6 months since I switched over. Check out Howardforums for tons of info on this and other options

psycho cyclo addict
    No Android- Straightalk has been awesome on 2 ATT iPhone 4's for others in my house though.

Andriod needs a Debian distro, then I'll have a look...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast