mtbr member

OT- Mtbrs' ride vintage mx this Sun.

Heads up dirt pedaling/ moto gearheads! This Sunday at Speedworld in Surprise, you can do the free half-time 5 lap vintage mx "race" aka Rider Appreciation Day. Also pizza for lunch.

If interested, let me know and I have 3 vintage bikes all in excellent shape -- your choice to ride. One of our AZ DH racers did this a few years back and he was soooo stoked!

I will be racing expert GP125 on my '77 RM125 and also have a '74 Suzuki TM125 and a '74 Bultaco 250 Pursang. I will only take 2 bikes, so I need to know if someone wants to hop on the TM or Pursang. FWI, the Pursang shifts on right/brake on left. We might also be able to snag something else interesting in the pits to ride.

All you need to bring is your boots, pants? (I have extra med 32 waist pants, gloves, goggles, and med. helmet), and be ready to have a blast from the past. I will be making a race day video to posted on Vimeo by midweek, so you're sure to be in the vid also....a lot!

The Vintage/International track entrance is Hwy 60 and Jomax, 2nd gate on left. Bring a friend, and camera. Riders meeting at 845, practice 9, races start at 10am. More info at AVDRA ~ National - Home Page.
    Let me know by Friday if you want in, but I wouldn't wait too long. I can only "sponsor" 1 guest rider. Rob https://vimeo.com/56266343

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I wish I could go. I have always wanted to try the vintage mx thing. Especially a Bultaco. I will let you know if the day opens up. Could I bring my modern bike too, or is it a vintage only day on all the tracks?

Really nice of you to make an offer like this to the community. Rep'd yah.

mtbr member

Good on you Rob!

Feel free to PM me if you don't get any takers, I'd love to do it. I lived and breathed MX for over 30 years until this happened Paul on a #38 Honda . Hey, if nothing else it would give me a chance to say hi to Dan out at SW.

Paul

mtbr member
    ok Paul and Sugarhigh..... looks like I will take Bultaco 250 Pursang for the "guest bike". Great vintage mx machine with lots of history behind it, great handling, and smooth/broad power. Howwwever, just remember it shifts right/brake on left.....I repeat....shifts on right..
    Only need 2nd and 3rd gear anyway to have fun...4th & 5th haulin' ass, on this tight track (International track).

Sugarhigh, you could bring your modern bike and race it in the modern class, but that would require a $35 AVDRA membership, that you could also use for the remaining of the 5 races this season. Or, you and Paul can flip a coin for the Bultaco ride and the main track is open to ride your modern bike. I might also be able to find another loaner bike...most racers usually have multiples in their pit.

So either way, both of you should bring riding gear and look me up under the yellow Suzuki MX canopy, and be ready to experience a vintage mx race. Great organized program you will certainly enjoy.
    Here's the video I made at one of our races at Canyon MX. 2 more races coming up at Canyon this season. https://vimeo.com/54176197
    Rob #38

mtbr member

mtbr member
    here's my halfazz video I made from the race Sunday.... 1 of my SD cards crashed and I lost a lot of good trackside shots. Only starting gate shots and my chest cam were available.

https://vimeo.com/56568276
    Last edited by RobZona; 12-31-2012 at 09:28 PM.