mtbr member
    Feb 2009

OT, Lumber jacking edit.

This is different but I think it's fun to watch.

A.M. Forestry, Jackstraw Work - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It is cool to watch. How many times has the tree not fallen the way you intended?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am glad some local boys got that bid. I checked it out and saw how cut throat it was going to be and we decided not to bid. Not enough profit to justify the time taken away from technical climbing/ residential work.

Cool video though, it's easy work as far as tree work goes. It's good to see good clean felling technique and proper PPE in that video.

I have checked out some older jack straw projects and the technique does work.

It really does allow the aspen regrowth to grow up 5 or 6 feet and not get mowed down by elk.

Good stuff!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks Scott! I'm new at this so through my learning process quite a bit. If you leave too much holding wood on one side they will twist on you. You need to move quick! These trees that we are jackstrawing are all burnt from the Shultz fire. We are piling them up to help the aspen saplings from the elk. A lot of these are rotten inside and can twist and fall on you rapidly, it's freaking scary! I almost had two at once crush me the other day.

mtbr member
    Those basque sheepherders were all over the place. Those carvings look a lot like the ones on Bear Jaw.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SuctionGoat View Post
    I am glad some local boys got that bid. I checked it out and saw how cut throat it was going to be and we decided not to bid. Not enough profit to justify the time taken away from technical climbing/ residential work.

Cool video though, it's easy work as far as tree work goes. It's good to see good clean felling technique and proper PPE in that video.

It really does allow the aspen regrowth to grow up 5 or 6 feet and not get mowed down by elk.

Good stuff!
    Yeah it's not technical but it's really fun and if you aren't on your game it is really dangerous! It's actually pretty damn dangerous no matter what!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SuctionGoat View Post

Good stuff!
    We do a lot of that "landscaping" work too but honestly the more I think about it this jackstraw work is in a lot of ways WAY more technical. It has you on your toes the whole time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks fun. Not sure if I would want to do that stuff anymore though! You should check out the bore cut release for your leaners, especially those with rot. And not to be a jackass but... OSHA violations: Not having clear escape path, backcut at or below notch, and felling into danger trees when not absolutely required. Be safe out there. **** happens fast.