Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My other ride is your mom

OT: Just got tagged twice by bark scorpion

Thought I'd gripe......fun times! The lil' bastard got me on the top of my left foot as I lay on the couch.....I wiped the top of my foot with my other foot/ankle thinking it was a sticker or something....then it got me again on the right ankle. Inch long lil bastard...now it's smeared against our nice couch pillows.

I'm a native AZ'er, born and raised in PHX....this is my 1st time.

Yee-haw! The tingling is now working it's way up my leg.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 08-24-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added OT tag

powered by bacon
    That sucks. I almost stepped on one yesterday in my kitchen. Missed it by a couple inches.

mtbr member
    oh that sucks!

you should probably pee on the sting.

I just put some baby diaper rash on it....does that count?

Other than the pretty intense pain right now....the other symptoms are kinda fascinating...I'm kinda twitching around like Michael J. Fox right now....googled that....I guess the neurotoxin contains a protein that "selectively binds sodium and potassium ion channels in the nerves and muscles"....so should I eat something really salty now like some nachos???? It's not quite like cramping....very weird.

Also learned that in multiple stings...the 1st one is sometimes a warning sting....they like to hold onto the good stuff when really threatened....like me brushing it aside with my other leg...then they unload on the 2nd.....makes sense to me...the 1st sting is not nearly as bad as the second one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    just killed one two minutes ago, Hate those things my 1 year old walked right by it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Go riding!
    That will fix everything........or alcohol.
    What was the initial sting like? Some compare it to a wasp sting. I've never been stung by eather though.

at first....it felt like a biting fly...or maybe a prick of a cholla barb....something relatively benign....that's why I automatically wiped at the top of my left foot with my right foot.....which was when I felt the second sting. It was at that point that the 1st sting went from feeling like a cholla prick to a burning sensation which made me jump up....and then I saw the bastard crawling along. I gotta say...the initial hit was not as bad as a wasp sting...although I have not been stung by a wasp since I was a little kid....so perhaps time has dulled the pain.

Pivotal figure
    Friend got nailed a couple of months ago. If yours is anything like what he got then it's gonna be a looong night
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

pedaller
    Where's rockcrusher when you need him???

Sorry to hear it was your turn to get tagged Maad but you were seriously due!

Hope you're ok and can sleep tonight.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

everything is itchy now.....the toxin is moving around....seems random...sometimes my calf, sometimes my arse, now my back.

sometimes numbness, then itching....burning kinda all over.

Thought I'd add one last observation since this last one was completely unexpected and I have not heard/read about it...last night after going to bed...or trying....I was seeing things in the dark. Fluorescent spots on the ceiling in purples and greens....floating around on the walls....very trippy.....for the record, I was sober.

This morning....the area still burns like a bad sunburn....but it's to the level of being able to ignore it if I try hard.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Thought I'd add one last observation since this last one was completely unexpected and I have not heard/read about it...last night after going to bed...or trying....I was seeing things in the dark. Fluorescent spots on the ceiling in purples and greens....floating around on the walls....very trippy.....for the record, I was sober.

This morning....the area still burns like a bad sunburn....but it's to the level of being able to ignore it if I try hard.

mmmm hmmmm. already preparing excuses for flaking on the NR this week i see.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009

Sounds like you are slightly allergic to them. My sister, when stung, would blow up like the stay puft marshmallow man, I on the other hand would have a slight tingle for a few hours then nothing more. Been stung about a dozen times throughout my life, never is fun. Hope you heal quick!

seeing glowing things in the dark on a NR could be fun...

mtbr member
    If it happens again, try taking an over the counter antihistamine. It should curb some of the effects for you. Good Times!!!
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

workin' it Administrator
    FWIW nothing will curb the effect. If it was a bark scorpion then it will be numb for a considerable amount of time. Luckily it was on a distant appendage. When I got hit on the hand and chest half my face went numb. I can't comment on the bright lights because I could never get to sleep due to the pain but I got bit 5 times as I was trying to get rid of it, 3 time on the thumb twice on my chest.

Good thing is that you are not allergic to the bite, although being a neurotoxin i doubt you could be allergic like a bee sting but i might be wrong. Enjoy the sensations, you are one of the lucky arizonians now. I am hoping that having been bitten so many times I will get either immune or develop superpowers! Scorpion man scuttle away! or something like that.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Didn't say it would stop the hurt, but check it...

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/168230-overview

Peace
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

pedaller
    "having been STUNG so many times..." rockcrusher.

Scorpions STING you. (apparently a lot and often)

They don't bite.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member

Chasing the dragon.

Beetlejuice!
    I stepped on one in my kitchen a couple of years ago...most painful thing I've ever felt in my entire life!! Luckily it didn't spread like yours did....sounds like you had a mild reaction but a reaction nonetheless if you were seeing things. You probably should have gone to the hospital for the anti venom just to make sure you were not going into anaphylaxis...Arizona is the only state in the nation with the anti venom for bark scorpions. If nothing else they would have given you a shot of morphine in your foot to dull the pain.

My incident with the scorpion is actually what pushed me to get my EMT training. I'll never forget being there in the kitchen hopping up and down on one foot screaming bloody murder while my other half, Josh, just stood there with that deer-in-the-headlights look on his face frozen. It was at that moment I knew that if anything major ever happened to us it was going to have to be me that did the saving!
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless *****" - Sheldon

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo

Chasing the dragon.

good point. I will save my bites for the black widow spiders and leave the stinging to my lesser favorite arachnid: mister bark scorpion.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by weezerbot
    I stepped on one in my kitchen a couple of years ago...most painful thing I've ever felt in my entire life!! Luckily it didn't spread like yours did....sounds like you had a mild reaction but a reaction nonetheless if you were seeing things. You probably should have gone to the hospital for the anti venom just to make sure you were not going into anaphylaxis...Arizona is the only state in the nation with the anti venom for bark scorpions. If nothing else they would have given you a shot of morphine in your foot to dull the pain.

My incident with the scorpion is actually what pushed me to get my EMT training. I'll never forget being there in the kitchen hopping up and down on one foot screaming bloody murder while my other half, Josh, just stood there with that deer-in-the-headlights look on his face frozen. It was at that moment I knew that if anything major ever happened to us it was going to have to be me that did the saving!
    I think they will only give anti venom to the infirm, elderly and young for scorpion bites in AZ as pain aside scorpion bites are non-lethal to us adults. Treatment would be expensive even with insurance, especially with anti-venom.

I never considered going to a medical facility....unless you're pumping or turning blue....you're going to wait a really long time for probably little to no benefit. Might as well enjoy the exquisite pain in the comfort of your own home rather than in a waiting room somewhere.

workin' it Administrator
    I never considered going to a medical facility....unless you're pumping or turning blue....you're going to wait a really long time for probably little to no benefit. Might as well enjoy the exquisite pain in the comfort of your own home rather than in a waiting room somewhere.
    Yeah me neither. My wife coaxed me to call poison control the next morning and they said in effect "enjoy the pain! and don't get bit again". I can proudly say that I did the first and ignored the latter.

recovering roadie
    I was stung twice in as many minutes in a sleeping bag as a teenager and I remember feeling that toxin move up my through body. I though oh sh!t what happens when it gets to my heart and brain. I guess that explains a lot about my brain these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast