bland

OT Help me with a school project.

I'm a grad student at NAU and I also get to teach biology 181 labs. I have recently found a new appreciation for all of the amazing biology and geology that this state has to offer and I want to encourage my students to get out there and experience it for them selves. Most of the students at NAU rarely venture off campus let alone out of flagstaff and I want them to see some of the amazing places in AZ. I am going to offer them extra credit points for visiting awesome places in AZ. I was born and raised in flag so I have most of the northern AZ places covered, Grand Canyon, monument valley, edge of the mogollon rim, etc, but I'm sadly ignorant of most of the sweet spots in central and southern AZ. What places down there should I visit and send my students to? Pictures would be great if you have them. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    I'm a grad student at NAU and I also get to teach biology 181 labs. I have recently found a new appreciation for all of the amazing biology and geology that this state has to offer and I want to encourage my students to get out there and experience it for them selves. Most of the students at NAU rarely venture off campus let alone out of flagstaff and I want them to see some of the amazing places in AZ. I am going to offer them extra credit points for visiting awesome places in AZ. I was born and raised in flag so I have most of the northern AZ places covered, Grand Canyon, monument valley, edge of the mogollon rim, etc, but I'm sadly ignorant of most of the sweet spots in central and southern AZ. What places down there should I visit and send my students to? Pictures would be great if you have them. Thanks!
    Chiricahuas, Patagonia, Bisbee, Sierra Vista, etc. Stuff south of Tucson is amazing.

(I don't take pictures.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

dirt visionary
    Oh boy there's alot and thats from a non native view. The desert hides some truly special one of a kind places . Lots of violent volcanic activity is visible to the east of phx. Plus lots more will work on a list of some of those places and pics over the next day or so .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

skilldest©

Check out some caves

Peppersauce Cave 12 miles south of Oracle. Going through the rabbit hole 2nd picture but don't stop...go on way beyond that. Cool assignment BTW!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT Help me with a school project.-img_1573.jpg  

OT Help me with a school project.-img_1569.jpg  

OT Help me with a school project.-img_1540.jpg  

mtbr member
    Um, is this you in the second picture?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That looks like your head is poking out of a giant............um forget it.

mtbr member
    Some context with regard to what the class is about would help. For example, if it's bio-geo-chemistry the travertine formation in Fossil Creek is pretty interesting.

Meatbomb
    damn. look at the growth on that cave

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Um, is this you in the second picture?
    Nope. I was taking the picture as we were coming out of the rabbit hole. You may have seen him on the trail or at a race somewhere. My beautiful (dare I say...glowing) face is in the first pic. The pic of my AssSide poking out the hole did not turn out -- bummer because it was a glorious shot. So many puns and so little time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    Nope. I was taking the picture as we were coming out of the rabbit hole. You may have seen him on the trail or at a race somewhere. My beautiful (dare I say...glowing) face is in the first pic. The pic of my AssSide poking out the hole did not turn out -- bummer because it was a glorious shot. So many puns and so little time.
    Okay. Yea, I know Jeff.

mtbr member
    Madera Canyon in the Santa Rita mountains south of Tucson.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Okay. Yea, I know Jeff.
    Yup Jeff...do I know you?

mtbr member

Patagonia and Aravaipa

I'll second the nod to Patagonia. I manage the nature preserve down here, lotta cool things to see (like the snake below). AZ Trail passes through town (see pic below), lots of USFS lands to explore, State Park lake and associated natural areas.
    I also worked at Aravaipa Canyon, on the Klondyke side. Pretty incredible stuff there too and well of the beaten path.
    Cheers,
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT Help me with a school project.-thornscrub-hooknosed-snake.jpg  

OT Help me with a school project.-patagonia_aztrail.jpg  

mtbr member

Cochise Stronghold both sides are really cool there's a 4 mile trail that connects them. On the west side there are ruins of the Butterfield Stage Stop and south of there is a great native Arc site.

Also it would be cool to have them learn about the AZT. If one were to hike or bike the entire trail they would see a lot of what the state has to offer. Having a list of cool TH's to hit and do a short hike at each. Starting with the Border at Coronado National Monument and working your way up. Driving up Mt Lemmon is like driving from Mexico to Canada in 26 miles. Picket Post TH is also a sweet spot. The General Crook Cabin on the Rim. You've already got the Canyon. The State Line TH actually the whole House Rock Valley road just north of 89a there's a Ramada where you can see the condor release site and a nesting site up on the Vermillion Cliffs.

Tim

Edit to add: if you can it would be cool to have them hike the AZT from the South Rim entrance to the Rim. There's a gate just west of the highway just as you enter the park. The 6 miles from there is easy mostly on the historic entrance road. For those seeing the ditch for the first time having walked a ways thru the trees first might make for a neat experience.
    Last edited by AZTtripper; 08-24-2012 at 05:18 AM.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Don't forget about the McDowells, we take it for granted because it is in our back yard but the diversity of flora and fauna is pretty good. Sorry no pics

mtbr member
    Chiricahua national monument, Canyon De Chelly (any of the parks on the Navajo Nation).... Portal Arizona (amazing scenery and birding)... Kofa (in the winter time)....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    Yup Jeff...do I know you?
    Probably not. I met Jeff last weekend through a mutual friend. Then we did the Javelina Cycles Wednesday night ride Wednesday.

bland
    Thanks for the input everyone. My students get the assignment on Tuesday. I feel guilty for living here 29 years and only experiencing half of this stuff. I've got some exploring to do!

mtbr member

parenting for gnarness
    Perhaps not 'spectacular', but some of the desert museums etc are awesome. Tucson Desert Museum, Phx Botanical Garden and Phx Zoo, Boyce Thompson Arboretum with a Picket Post hike. The places do a nice job of mixing in amenities with explanation and learning if you want a physically easy day or go with family etc. Definitely makes you appreciate all the stuff when you are out there in it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The volcanic fields for sure, N of Flag, but also white mountains. Plateaus at 9000' msl, Arizona rainforest, amazing. Basically anything near Candy Mountain.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.