mtbr member

OT - Gyms and Fitness

Riding and running keep me in pretty good shape but with ski/snowboard season coming up and age taking a greater toll on my body I'm looking to improve my core strength and flexibility.

I have a gym membership but am thinking of cancelling it since I never use it and loathe the idea of going back into the typical Fitness center where I'd hit the weights with isolated exercises again, and again, and again, and...

I'm looking for something different. More like the Monkey Bar Gym (www.monkeybargym.com) or Gym Jones (www.gymjones.com). Anyone know of anything like this in the valley?
    Last edited by jaybird; 11-11-2008 at 03:37 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Depending on your current fitness level and your willingness to be humbled, look into crossfit. You can check crossfit.com for details; there are several gyms in the Valley.
    d

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I know of a place www.fitwellcoaching.com I work there and we specialize in being a bit different, there is also competetivefitness.com but I don't know much about them. I do know that they work with the police and fire dept. we work with the general public and as well as athletes but approach fitness differently than most gyms do. boredom is not an option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    Riding and running keep me in pretty good shape but with ski/snowboard season coming up and age taking a greater toll on my body I'm looking to improve my core strength and flexibility.

I have a gym membership but am thinking of cancelling it since I never use it and loathe the idea of going back into the typical Fitness center where I'd hit the weights with isolated exercises again, and again, and again, and...

I'm looking for something different. More like the Monkey Bar Gym (www.monkeybargym.com) or Gym Jones (www.gymjones.com). Anyone know of anything like this in the valley?
    while i understand everyone has their own fitness needs, repetitive strength training should be an integral part of your other choices.

mx

I am Walt
    For me, 30+ years and counting of hitting the free weights with isolated exercises again and again and again...done properly, it can't be beat. Period.
    Ride more; post less...

I, Mudd
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    For me, 30+ years and counting of hitting the free weights with isolated exercises again and again and again...done properly, it can't be beat. Period.
    I agree. I have a basic home gym comprised of free weights and a squat rack that I put togther from Craigslist. I paid no more than $400 for it all together over the years. No gym fees, no gym knuckleheads, no driving. I just get up early and work out, shower, then go to the office.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    I'm looking for something different. More like the Monkey Bar Gym (www.monkeybargym.com) or Gym Jones (www.gymjones.com).
    http://www.fastexercise.com/

Not too expensive, either.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

Don't believe the Hype...
    As far as the Snowboarding goes, check out a longboard...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...40#post5080640
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Competitive Fitness is a Crossfit gym. I can't recommend Crossfit highly enough. Not so much if you're looking for size. But if you're looking to build functional strength and strength endurance, it's pretty hard to beat.
    d

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    uhhh, +1

i was taking the subtle approach. walt was blunt...but i agree

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    http://www.fastexercise.com/

Not too expensive, either.
    kinky...S&M machine?

mx

mtbr member
    I'm not bashing strength training. It is effective and has suited me well in the past. If you have a good routine that works for you then fantastic!

My again, and again, and again comment more reflects a personal onset of boredom after doing the same thing too often. I thrive with change and with new challenges which is why was asking for suggestions.

The crossfit option looks very interesting and I'll check it out further.

Thanks for all the responses.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I wasn't bashing weights, either. Crossfit uses a bunch of weightlifting, but nearly all Olympic lifts. Large, explosive muscle movements, not isolations (cleans, squats, deads, jerks, push press, etc.).

I, too, bought a bunch of stuff on CL (rack, Oly weights, kettles) and just do the Crossfit WOD right in the comfort of my back yard.
    d

mtbr member
    I bought the P90X videos, set of bowflex dumbells and a pull up bar... Best workout I have ever done in my life...besides riding of course

Meatbomb
    My GF has the P90X videos and she keeps daring me to try one .... I'm skeered

Shovel Ready
    Co-worker was up late one night and bought the P90X disks. Told us over and over he was just waiting to get the rubber band and a couple other items before starting. Lasted a week once he started. He also bailed on biking after one hot day at papago.

I'm still kicking around joining Scottsdale's Club SAR. Can't beat the price but I have not yet checked out the facility.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Professional Amateur
    How much are thos P90x vids? I read an article on gymjones in Outside magazine, looks brutal!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    P90X is, fundamentally, Crossfit Lite. If you have the fitness basis to do it, crossfit.com provides all the info you need with the WOD (workout of the day) as well as videos of all exercises, forums, etc. And it's free.

Make no mistake, Crossfit is absolutely brutal. Doesn't seem so bad on paper, but go do "Filthy Fifty" or "Fight Gone Bad" and you'll find out firsthand just how intense it is.
    d

Professional Amateur
    Thx, I will check that site out. Apparently one of my coworkers does some crossfit style workouts run by a guy here in Tucson. There have been days when he has come to work unable to bend his arms. Supposed to be an awesome workout, I'm not very concerned with getting big, just having usable fitness and losing a little flab.