Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Occidental Tourist

OT- good eats in scottsdale/phoenix

a'la Roaring Fork and such?
    Any thoughts? I bet Doug knows.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Where and what do you want?
    Ride more; post less...

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Where and what do you want?
    Dunno. I don't get out much but I heart the Roaring Fork - somethign akin to that but I also like smaller bistro places too.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

I am Walt
    Hmm...(I should be working)...

These are more modest places. Roaring Fork is good, but pretty Scottsdale-trendy. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Italian - Nick's at Frank Lloyd Wright (FLW) and 100th St., Casa Mia in the plaza at 136th St.and Via Linda, Oregano's at Shea and Scottsdale Rd.
    Mexican - Ajo Al's on 90th St. between Mountain View and Via Linda
    Burgers - Zipps on 100th St. just east of FLW
    Thai - There was a great Thai place in the shopping center on the east side of FLW just north of Shea, I forget the name.

Trendier spots:
    - Village Tavern - Scottsdale Road and Gainey Ranch
    - Salty Senorita - just opened in the old Downside Risk at Northsight and something just north of Raintree, Mexican
    - Earl's - FLW and the 101, SW corner
    - Barcelona - good food, then wild after 9 pm on weekends, Scottsdale Rd. and Greenway-Hayden Loop
    - San Felipe - Mexican place in DC Ranch at Pima Rd. and Thompson Peak, then wild, with dancing on the bar after 10 pm on Friday and Sat. nights

Just some thoughts off the top...I'll add some when I think of more...
    Ride more; post less...

ccm
    West Coast Racing
    Jan 2004
    how about free-range organiclly fed mammal meat and/or vegetarian restaurants?

i like cheese.
    I am guessing you want downtown Scottsdale with the mention of Roaring Fork...

Wildfish - Great seafood, pricey.
    Orange Table - Awesome sandwiches, very busy and you'll wait.
    Bravo Bistro - underrated Italian
    Breakfast Club
    Frank Lupe's - My personal favorite Mexican food
    Casella's - Hole in the wall sandwiches
    Z' Teja's
    Stingray - High quality sushi small portions.
    Uncle Sal's - C'mon it was Sonny the Bull's place...

Ouch, I am hot!
    I agree with Walt about Nick's. It has really good Italian food. There is also a Nick's at Tatum and Shea, next to Pick Up Stix at the Whole Foods strip mall. Good pizza.

I really like Jade Palace for Chinese food. It is at Shea and 92nd St., accross the street from the hospital. While there may be better Chinese restaurants in Phoenix, I have not been to one. It is as good as it gets in Arizona.

Also, China Chili is a good Chinese restaurant. It has a new location and is no longer on Central. I think 3rd St.

If you want a fancy and expensive restaurant, but excellent food and decor, try Michelina's on Shea and 32nd at 3241 East Shea. It is in a little strip mall and you would never know from the outside that it is truly one of the best restaurants in Phoenix.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Occidental Tourist
    OK, if RF is scottsdale trendy then that is what I'm looking for.
    I tried Roy's once and wasn't that impressed.
    Maybe food snob/bon appetit places would be a better description
    of what I'm looking for.

i like cheese.
    of what I'm looking for.
    The seriously try Wildfish. The people who started Roaring Fork, own Wildfish. It's like Eddie V's in DC Ranch, but 'hipper'. The interior is pretty cool, and the food is seriously awesome. Tuna tartar as an appetizer. Waiter's in white coats. It's at the waterfront just West of PF Chang's. They also serve steaks and stuff.

I am Walt
    of what I'm looking for.
    You'd like the Village Tavern, then - very Scottsdale-trendy in a Scottsdale-trendy spot. Excellent food, beer and wine. http://www.villagetavern.com/locations.cfm?city_id=6

Also Earl's.

Cowboy Ciao's in Old Town is also nice...and Scottsdale-trendy.

Are you taking Gordon out?
    Ride more; post less...

Occidental Tourist

nah, takin the wife out.

why? buckin fer a threesome?

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by bike=good
    The seriously try Wildfish. The people who started Roaring Fork, own Wildfish. It's like Eddie V's in DC Ranch, but 'hipper'. The interior is pretty cool, and the food is seriously awesome. Tuna tartar as an appetizer. Waiter's in white coats. It's at the waterfront just West of PF Chang's. They also serve steaks and stuff.
    now yer speakin my language. thanks!

Powered by ice cream.
    Drinkwater's City Hall

Hands down the best meal I have ever eaten.

Very, Very, Very expensive. A meal for you and wifey could set you back the price of a decent fork (all prices to me make more sense expressed as bike parts).

Google Search

sprocket
    You'd like the Village Tavern, then - very Scottsdale-trendy in a Scottsdale-trendy spot. Excellent food, beer and wine. http://www.villagetavern.com/locations.cfm?city_id=6

Also Earl's.

Cowboy Ciao's in Old Town is also nice...and Scottsdale-trendy.

i went to both roaring fork and cowbow ciaos and would choose the cowboy farce over the roaring fork. personnaly, i would choose yuris bistro over any of them.

Az HS Cycling League

Ok, here are my votes...

Try Cartwrights in the Cavecreek/Carefree area. It is on Cavecreek rd, west of the Horny Toad area if I remember correctly. Or my wifes favorite, T. Cookes in the Royal Palms Hotel on east Camelback rd at about 52 St. Both are nice places, excellent atmosphere for you and your wife.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League in 2013
    www.arizonamtb.org

mtbr member
    Is Roaring Fork fancy? I don't go out that much, but love Pink Taco.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Taco Bell, McDonald's, Jack in the Box, etc.

Get wif da program already.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Of course I know...

T.Cooks at the Royal Palms. If this is a date night with the wife, there is no better place in the valley. None.

Of course you'll need to throw away the budget for the night...but it's an absolutely fantastic restaurant in both the cuisine and ambience.

Want more points with the wifey? Book a night at the hotel...eat at T Cooks...get rip roaring drunk...and then sleep in and enjoy the breakfast buffet poolside. One of the best date nights you can do in the entire state.

Other can't miss "nice date" joints in NE Phx/PV/Scottsdale (where 99% of the great restaurants are anyway):

Richardson's - 16th and Bethany Home. Funky little restaurant that serves up the BEST southwestern food in the state. Try the Prickly Pear margaritas too. This is one of my favorite places to take the wife.

Lon's at the Hermosa Inn - another fantastic restaurant with ambience out the wazoo.

Drinkwater's - I think somebody else mentioned this one. Superb steaks.

Cowboy Ciao - also mentioned. Quirky menu but the result is stupendous.

Bloom - Scotts/Doubletree. Contemporary American food done very well.

North - in Kierland Commons. Not "true" Italian food, but trust me...there isn't any true Italian food in AZ (if you're from NY, you will understand why I claim this to be). This is the next best thing. It's very good. And the bar is pretty nifty too. La Locanda at Scotts/Shea is a close second place.

Fleming's - DC Ranch. This is a close tie with Drinkwater's for the best steak in town. I just ate there a few days ago and the meal was stupendous.

Roaring Fork - as you mentioned. You must have good taste

And to top it all off...end the night at Postino's wine bar at 40th/Campbell. Some people will say Kazimerz in downtown Scottsdale is better...but I like the ambience and the crowd at Postino's far better. Split a bottle of wine and share a dessert (they get them from from La Grande Orange next door).

Thx...Doug