mtbr member
    Jun 2007

OT-First car vs. lightrail accident

I just heard on KJZZ that the first accident between a car and a lightrail train occurred this morning at 24th st and Washington. No one was hurt, thank goodness, aside from the 71 year old woman's Oldsmobile and the train. Apparently the driver ran a red light and was "nudged" by train. I hope the incident is no indication of future accidents involving cars and/or cyclists.

mtbr member
    This is only the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Another accident by an elderly driver. How many people need to get injured or killed by elderly drivers before the state acts?

I have new balls
    Quote Originally Posted by ggnarl
    I read somewhere that white drivers cause the majority of all traffic accidents.
    because they are the one's who stop, own the car there driving and have a licience

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorSlacker
    Another accident by an elderly driver. How many people need to get injured or killed by elderly drivers before the state acts?
    What do you suggest?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

NardoSS
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorSlacker
    Snowbird state...they bring in too much money for the economy for anyone to do anything about it. You can take a drivers license and insurance away from an elderly person and they will continue to drive. Jail time? lmao, riiiiight.

I'd rather get hit on my bike by an elderly driver as opposed to an uninsured illegal alien.

mtbr member
    I read somewhere that white drivers cause the majority of all traffic accidents.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    What do you suggest?

WE'LL BURN THEM!!!

monty_python_witch-701441.jpg
    JRA

mtbr member
    That's racial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Meatbomb
    So, that lack of a fatality means the Light Rail Death Pool lives ????

mtbr member
    We can start with a physicians physical and a road test at age of 70 for a 5 year renewal, then follow up with 2 year renewals after age of 75. The accident last week in Tucson was caused by a 91 year old driver and this week light rail accident by a 61 year old driver should be a reason for action from the state legislator.

In 2003 an 86 year old driver plowed his car into a Farmer's Market that resulted in the death of 3 people and a serious injury to a fourth. An article posted by CNN.com states that in California "people 65 and older make up 12 percent of California's licensed drivers, they are involved in 17 percent of fatal crashes and cause 60 percent of those.." Another article posted by senorjournal.com is titled "Elderly Drivers Increasingly More Likely to Die in Auto Accident" While the purpose of the article is to state that elderly drivers are more likely to die from an accident, you can derive from the article that age may play a part in the cause of the accident.

As we age our ability to recognize, react, and make decisions while operating an automobile becomes impaired. There are individuals that retain full motorskills into their 90's and there are others that begin to degrade in their 50s. I am just stating that just as we test teenagers, at some point we should begin to test the elderly. What is the appropriate age? I don't have an answer for that without having more information available. But I do know that a person over 75 should not be allowed to obtain or renew their license without a road test. My father is 78 and he wasn't required to take a road test when he applied for his AZ license this past summer. His license doesn't expire for 5 years! He will be 83 years old when his license expire. Doesn't it make sense to protect the driver and those that share the road with them?

http://cbs2.com/local/settlement.far....2.729481.html
    http://www.cnn.com/US/9906/28/dangerous.drivers/
    http://www.seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Ag...rlyDrivers.htm

mtbr member
    Yes the Death Pool lives on.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    What do you suggest?
    Photo radar that takes a picture when you're 10mph below the speed limit.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

pedaller
    You gotta love inexperienced teenage drivers, underage drinking, cell phones & text messaging!

I'll stick to riding my bike on trails thankyouverymuch!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

oooh, shiny...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Photo radar that takes a picture when you're 10mph below the speed limit.
    I was just thinking this the other day. Why not? just think of all the revenue they will bring in with rush hour!

Don't believe the Hype...
    Quote Originally Posted by NardoSS
    I'd rather get hit on my bike by an elderly driver as opposed to an uninsured illegal alien.
    Hell yeah, the old fart will probably have some meds for you
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    Hell yeah, the old fart will probably have some meds for you
    just gotta vent, cause i nearly got killed today. I'm coming through a parking lot down the main aisle, broad daylight and i'm going maybe 12 mph in my lane, and a car in one of the side aisles just pulls right on out in front of me. It was going so slow that I wasn't particularly in danger, but i rode alongside it and pounded on the window and finally stuck my middle finger up next to the windshield before the blue-hair with the coke bottle glasses noticed me at all. Not even an involuntary jerk of her head as i was pounding on the driver side door. F'ing ridiculous!!!! When people make mistakes and i can avoid them and they at least give me the "i'm sorry" wave, i can let it go. When people are so oblivious...it makes me want to f*** with their cars, or tumble over the hood just so I can try to squeeze them for whatever cash they have on hand. You really had to see it - not even a twitch from the driver as i pounded on their window -- no idea at all i was there! If I was 10 feet further ahead, i'd have been hit.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    just gotta vent, cause i nearly got killed today. I'm coming through a parking lot down the main aisle, broad daylight and i'm going maybe 12 mph in my lane, and a car in one of the side aisles just pulls right on out in front of me. It was going so slow that I wasn't particularly in danger, but i rode alongside it and pounded on the window and finally stuck my middle finger up next to the windshield before the blue-hair with the coke bottle glasses noticed me at all. Not even an involuntary jerk of her head as i was pounding on the driver side door. F'ing ridiculous!!!! When people make mistakes and i can avoid them and they at least give me the "i'm sorry" wave, i can let it go. When people are so oblivious...it makes me want to f*** with their cars, or tumble over the hood just so I can try to squeeze them for whatever cash they have on hand. You really had to see it - not even a twitch from the driver as i pounded on their window -- no idea at all i was there! If I was 10 feet further ahead, i'd have been hit.

this kind of attitude will get you nowhere.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    this kind of attitude will get you nowhere.
    i know, just venting - this was the scariest one in a while. I try to tap into my ChongomanZen when i ride in traffic. Though I wonder if you could drill a lesson into the occasional driver, if things would improve?

sprocket
    i know, just venting - this was the scariest one in a while. I try to tap into my ChongomanZen when i ride in traffic. Though I wonder if you could drill a lesson into the occasional driver, if things would improve?
    never going to improve. things are the way that they are. no sense in expending any energy on something that is. drink more, ride more.

Ouch, I am hot!
    12 mph in a parking lot = too fast.
    Riding a bike in a parking lot = not a good idea
    Pounding the window of the car = assualt
    Lack of reaction from driver when pounding car = elderly driver scared sh!tless
    I AM JUST A JERK

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    12 mph in a parking lot = too fast.
    Riding a bike in a parking lot = not a good idea
    Pounding the window of the car = assualt
    Lack of reaction from driver when pounding car = elderly driver scared sh!tless
    DirDir I do not feel like playing footsie with you today. One pointless infusion of adrenaline was enough.