My other ride is your mom

OT: A customer service issue at a carwash

This is an open letter I've written to Danny's Family Carwash due to a customer service issue I have with them......I chuckle at it because as I reference in the letter, customer service issues happen all the time in bike shops but an even-handed and patient approach by the consumer and a pro-active and honest approach by the merchant will always resolve the issue. There seem to be a lot of customer service issues with bike shops on this board from time to time....I usually don't have a good analogy as to how to handle the situation...until now. As a consumer, I have handled this situation the way I would want a customer to handle the situation if I were the merchant....and I have asked for nothing unreasonable that I as a manager at a bike shop would see no problem in fixing......the situation described herein is one where the later has not been followed as it is now 42 days since the incident occured:

I have a customer service issue that I would like to get some help on. On August 10th, I brought my 2001 ML430 in for a wash and to have the mats cleaned. Upon leaving the wash, I noticed that the mats in my vehicle were not mine. I returned to the wash and after a few minutes, my mats were not located. It appeared that my mats had been inadvertently switched with another persons mats. Understanding how this could happen, I offered to return after the weekend to check up with them to see if another customer had come in looking for their mats. At this point, I was missing the 2 rear stock mats that came with the vehicle, and 2 aftermarket rubber mats similar to WeatherGuard mats for the front.

When I returned on August 13th, no one knew anything about the issue and I was told that I could choose from some of the spare mats that they had laying around in the service bay. I declined at this time since I wanted my mats back. I gave my name and phone number and was told that I would receive a call from a Manager...I never did.

I returned to the car wash a week later since I was out of town and this is when I initially talked to Jay (one of the managers). After describing the situation to him, he told me he had to talk to his boss to authorize purchasing replacement mats. I told him I was not in a hurry as long as we got it all sorted out and due to the fact that I was going to be out of town for two weeks. Upon returning and asking for Jay, he did not recognize me and when I told him I was the guy with the mats...he responded by telling me that they had ordered the mats, but they got the wrong color (grey) and were reordering the right ones (black). At this time, he took my name, phone number and yr/make/model of the vehicle down which I thought was a bit odd considering that he said he had ordered the mats previously but they were the wrong ones.

When I came into the car wash today (9/21/12), I was told by Jay that they could not get the mats because they could only be ordered as a set and the set were priced at $200. Jay told me that he could not do anything other than offer me a few carwashes in compensation or to select some of the mats they had in stock there. I told him I thought this was unacceptable and that at this point, I wanted the issue resolved as originally stated....replacement of the items which were lost during service on my vehicle. I was told by Jay to call 480-XXX-XXXX and speak to Brian Nues (spelling?) and that he could handle my issue.

On the way out, I introduced myself to Jorge (the general manager) and told him I understood that they did not have the authorization to do any more for me and that I would be calling Brian Nues (spelling).

Upon returning home, I called the number provided and was told that Brian is not normally at this number and that a message would be given to him to call me back. I provided my name and phone number.

I have been extremely patient in regards to the issue I have described above, but I am becoming frustrated because it is clear to me that Jay was not being forthcoming with me when he falsely told me that they had ordered the mats and they were in the wrong color. Furthermore, I have never once been called back even though I have left my number several times with various members of the staff and with the management.

The facts are clear: Danny's Family Car Wash lost through a switch with someone else, my floor mats. I have asked for these floor mats to be replaced. Danny's has not been proactive with respect to informing me of the issues they have raised with the replacement. Each time I have had communications with Danny's, I have had to come into the store to be told that either nothing had been done, the wrong mats had been ordered and lastly, that they could not order the mats because they are too expensive.

I come to the location at Raintree because it is close to home and is close to the bikeshop I used to manage, Performance Bike. I understand how these things happen....it happens in any service location and it happened at Performance Bike. It's a difficult thing to tell a customer that resolution has not yet occurred on their customer service issue....I know because I was the sales manager and it was my responsibility to field these issues. However, it is not difficult to be proactive in response to a customer service issue and to fix the problem. This is a simple customer service issue and I hope that by contacting you in writing here that a prompt and satisfactory resolution will come of it.

I look forward to working with you to resolve this issue.

maadJurguer
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 09-21-2012 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    I feel your pain but good luck. It's a car wash. It probaby has changed ownership a dozen times and most of the employess are paid minimum wage. The major difference between this business and a bike shop is they don't care if you come back. How do they know your even telling the truth and not just trying to get some new car mats?

Vincit qui patitur
    Very well put and diplomatic of you.
    I work at a dealer and Danny's, Cobblestone, etc are always buying things to replace customers damaged or lost items. Besides you are not asking for something that is not deserved.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    BTW $200 is pretty cheap and where they are located if they don't fix the problem they could lose a lot of business.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Vincit qui patitur
    If they don't take care of you and you still want factory mats let me know I may be able to help you. I have a few friends at dealers around the valley.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    I think you have handled the situation in the proper manner. Trouble is with these type of business, is the "manager" is just a name for 'baby sitter' and 'end-of-day spread sheet filler-outer'. A couple years ago I sent a resume, interviewed and was offered a store manager position for a large chain carwash, and turned it down when I found out I would make less than I did when I managed an autoparts store ten years earlier! Point is, the guy is a flunky, managed by a slightly higher paid flunky and both are trying to "manage" a situation that could have easily been handled. Either way, poor management skills are not an excuse for poor customer service, the blame rests solely on the company's officers and I believe you are totally right for escalating the matter to thier attention. Especially considering the path you took and the patience you have shown. Call the news troubleshooters!

Elitest thrill junkie
    What do they have of equal value that you could take?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What do they have of equal value that you could take?
    Absolutely nothing. If Maad takes the deal and returns with his vehicle he may return home with someone else's 1984 Pontiac Fiero headrests...instead of his own.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I wonder if this is the same Danny's?- If so small claims court and Judge Judy here you come!-

Valley car-wash magnate and developer Danny Hendon is involved in a bankruptcy-related dispute with lender M&I Marshall & Ilsley Bank over four Danny's Family-branded retail properties.

The four properties - three car washes and a convenience store - filed for Chapter 11 reorganization in U.S. Bankruptcy Court earlier this month, according to court documents.

M&I is the lead creditor in those bankruptcies, which Judge Eileen Hollowell has merged into a single case.

M&I's attorneys told the court that Danny's Family Companies II LLC, parent company to the four properties, "was in substantial default" on a $13.8 million loan for refinancing and new construction issued in July 2005.

The lender complained in a motion filed Feb. 5 that Danny's Family had not sought its permission to continue operating the businesses after filing for bankruptcy two days earlier. As with many retail businesses, each Danny's Family outlet is incorporated as a separate legal entity, in part to protect the overall company from losses and liabilities at any one location.

M&I's attorneys said the businesses, two in Scottsdale, one in Phoenix and one in Glendale, no longer had a right to use cash, supplies and equipment that were on hand before the filing. The businesses also failed to provide information to creditors, such as the cost of retaining a bankruptcy lawyer, the lawyers said.

They asked the judge to set a hearing to determine whether Danny's Family has used any collateral that rightfully belonged to the bank.

For its part, Danny's Family argued that to repay the loans, the car washes and convenience store need to remain in business and generate revenue.

Its attorneys submitted a proposed interim budget plan that they said would cover the necessary operating expenses and make it possible to repay M&I over a period of time.

Hollowell set a hearing date for Thursday. Neither side's attorneys returned calls Tuesday.

Hendon is a well-known local entrepreneur and Arizona native who owns car washes and other businesses throughout the Valley. He also is a key figure, along with business partner Bob Banovac, in efforts to redevelop downtown Glendale.

Hendon is listed in Arizona Corporation Commission records as the legal representative for nearly 90 separate companies.

Read more: Phoenix Arizona Business News - Phoenix Real Estate News - Consumer News - azcentral.com

mtbr member
    I can't get no satisfaction.

mtbr member
    Unbelievable! I would make a trip to their corporate office which is not too far from that specific car wash location.

Good luck! You may need to show your anger a bit to let them know you are not going to let this go.
    -boom

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I feel your pain but good luck. It's a car wash. It probaby has changed ownership a dozen times and most of the employess are paid minimum wage. The major difference between this business and a bike shop is they don't care if you come back. How do they know your even telling the truth and not just trying to get some new car mats?
    Yeah, but Danny's isn't just some random car wash.....it practically a mini empire!!!

Danny's Family Car Wash

And based on the slogan from their website, Maad....you're fabulous

mtbr member
    Any update, Maad?
    -boom

It's been a week....no response to my phone call or letter.....I'm going to call again......I guess they don't mind losing a customer...

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    It's been a week....no response to my phone call or letter.....I'm going to call again......I guess they don't mind losing a customer...
    They don't. I had a large Mag lite taken out of my vehicle and I reported it to the manager right then before I even left. It was unmistaenley identifyable, as it came with an old Tahoe and said Chevrolet on the entire handle. The guy took my # and never called. I called twice and registered a complaint; No response.

I wrote about it on review sites and tell people not to go there because of what happened to me. I won't even buy gas where I see "Danny's Family" signs. That was by "Crackers" on Scottsdale road.

Sorry to hear about your experience.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.....apparently, they have a F rating for the same type of shennanigans discussed here.

Danny's Family Car Wash Review - Car Wash & Polish in Scottsdale, AZ - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Central, Northern and Western Arizona

EDR
    My buddy worked in a large car wash in downtown Scottsdale when we were in high school. Stealing all the change from console, stealing joints and buds from the ashtray, stealing pretty much everything one might not notice right away was common practice for most who worked there.

mtbr member
    I was hoping for some stoke in this thread

guilty as charged Rockman....guilty as charged....

In the rear with the beer
    Customer Service....sadly becoming a lost art...
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Vincit qui patitur
    Maad:
    Do you have your car serviced at the dealer up there?
    If so ask you Service Advisor and/or the Service Manager give them a call to let them know you are a good customer and they will never refer any of there customers to them if this is the way they handle situations like this.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL