wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

OT/AZ stuff: CJ's Desert Dwellers: 'Life Change' - Emerging butterfly video & photo

Raised from an egg, in a terrarium in my kitchen, (good temperatures and humidity levels). The egg was the size of about a third of a grain of rice.

CJ's Desert Dwellers: Painted Lady Butterfly Vanessa cardui

Size:40- 65 mm
    Range: huge variety from mountains to deserts to gardens

This butterfly is seen across America (and the world). With a sensitivity to freezing, adults overwinter in Mexico and then head north to repopulate North America and are an anecdotal 'harbinger of spring'. They, sometimes, have large migration-like movements, with flights well into the thousands. These butterflies' larvae feed on thistles and members of the mallow family.

Emerging Butterfly from CJ on Vimeo.

Note how it's proboscis is two 'halves' and it seals the two sides together to make a hollow tube for drinking nectar.

This photo is of the actual butterfly in the emergence video. After about 45 minutes, he was starting to test his wings. I let it crawl onto my finger, then I took it outside and placed it on a penstemon flower stalk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by C.J.; 03-22-2009 at 09:33 AM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

My other ride is your mom
    The person puts the lotion in the basket....

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    The person puts the lotion in the basket....

Buffalo Bill had a thing for moths.

Buffalo Bill: in part based on Ed Gein, of Plainfield, Wisconsin
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Pretty cool CJ. I hope it was the one I saved off the breakfast nook floor. Regards ,Harry

AKA shitbird
    Very cool to see, thanks! BTW, how did you know when to start filming, and how did you find the egg (and know what it was) when it was 1/3 the size of a rice grain?
    JRA

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Look on the leaves

Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Very cool to see, thanks! BTW, how did you know when to start filming, and how did you find the egg (and know what it was) when it was 1/3 the size of a rice grain?
    Here's a picture of a Gulf Fritillary Butterfly ovipositing (laying eggs) and the circled little dot to the right of her wing is another egg. She is on a Passion Flower Vine (the larval host plant)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

parenting for gnarness
    great stuff as always! thank you for posting. btw, is your blog retired? I get its feed, but nothing in a long time.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Not dead, yet!

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    great stuff as always! thank you for posting. btw, is your blog retired? I get its feed, but nothing in a long time.

Blog not dead, yet!

After no biz for a while, we've actually been real busy, despite the economy. I've neglected the blog. With warmer weather returning and the expansion of our gardens, there will be a lot more content added. I've, yet, to publish the bobcat footage, roadrunner mating footage, etc. I've got a lot of new photos, too.

Nature ride and aprés-ride garden stroll planned real soon. Not race pace (LOL)
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!