wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

OT: AZ Related - Today's "Regal" Critter

Regal Horned Lizard
    Phrynosoma solare

Summer is here and so are the reptiles!!! Several of these guys live here. They love ants, sitting on a nest, impervious to bites, feeding at their leisure. The females never miss a meal, even when mating! They continue to eat through the whole ordeal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Saucy Size Moderator

Proud Viagria user there

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    Regal Horned Lizard
    Phrynosoma solare

Summer is here and so are the reptiles!!! Several of these guys live here. They love ants, sitting on a nest, impervious to bites, feeding at their leisure. The females never miss a meal, even when mating! They continue to eat through the whole ordeal.
    That is one horny toad.

I love those things. They come out every Spring en masse on the Highline Trail up in Payson -- literally hundreds of 'em will sun themselves on the trail in late March. They were my first-ever pet; had a big sandbox with six of them, captured from my grandparents' ranch south of Globe.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Incredibly Fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    That is one horny toad.

I love those things. They come out every Spring en masse on the Highline Trail up in Payson -- literally hundreds of 'em will sun themselves on the trail in late March. They were my first-ever pet; had a big sandbox with six of them, captured from my grandparents' ranch south of Globe.

p.
    They are fun to watch.

Pets? Damn, you must of been fast with the hands to catch them. It's amazing how much they change size when they feel like it.

I just, (literally), came in from walking around, looking at night critters at the place. Judging from the "natural cues", monsoon is soon! There has been the wayward toad recently, but they're beginning to emerge en masse. There were several pairs in the little pond, as well as "tens" of them throughout the grounds. There are insects that I usually don't see until some unseen/unfelt force tells them, "it's time". In the past, seems like this has been kind of a precursor to monsoon.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member

Nice 'n Horny

Nice photos!

Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    Regal Horned Lizard
    Phrynosoma solare

caninus xerophilous

Oh no, they say he's got to go! Go, go....

Horny Toad Zilla!

We encountered one a few weeks ago up on Mt. Lemmon and one of the guys said that he used to play Godzilla with them, of course the ants were the Japanese Army.

Growing up in the beer bottle strewn wasteland of Florence AZ, I used play with them as well, they make great Anklyosaurus'. My Katz also find them amusing but they have learned not to try and eat them.

Louis