wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

OT - AZ Related - CJ's Desert Dwellers: Harris's Hawk

CJ's Desert Dwellers: Harris's Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus
    Length: 50.8 cm
    Wingspan:105 cm

The Harris's Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus is a very social bird that, often, cooperatively hunts in family groups. They feed mainly on small mammals caught in brushy woodlands and open desert scapes.
    harris-1.jpg

The body structure of a Harris's Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus falls between buteos (large, high soaring hawks) and accipiters (tree/bush level hunters). They have a bulky body and broad wings and tail (buteo-like…think Red-tailed), with relatively short wing and long tail (accipiter-like…Sharp-shinned, Cooper's). The view of the tail, in-flight, is very distinctive and a great identifier.

harris3.jpg

They hang around in groups, (matriarchal) and will sit and perch on almost any mid-level object to peruse their hunting grounds.

harris2.jpg
    Last edited by C.J.; 03-07-2008 at 08:01 AM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Kathleen in AZ
    Beauty!!! Thanks for sharing these incredible images, CJ. Made my day.

Hawes Junkie

Amazing Pictures

Absolutely amazing pictures-greatly enjoy the detailed info.

I ride with tools

Schweet pics!

Excellent post, CJ!

Hawks are hands-down my favorite animals.

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Quick -- get your golf club!!! J/K....
    I've nothing to add....

Pivotal figure
    Nice pix! I got to see a pair right in front of the house last year, pretty cool and a bit intimidating (keep the cat inside )
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    Quick -- get your golf club!!! J/K....

that's excellent…timing is everything!!!!!!
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the compliments!

Thanks everyone!!!

All the plants are starting to 'pop' around here and the wildlife is quite abundant, in comparison to last year.

It should be a phenomenal year for bugs, butterflies, birds &, yes, bikes!!!

If you're in Tucson, (north side/Golder Area), come by for a cup of tea, a slow bike ride and afterwards, watch nature…we were told by Jim Brock, "The Butterfly Man" that we have the best butterfly garden in Tucson.

On July 12th, I'm tentatively scheduled to give a photo and macro photography presentation/instructional talk at Desert Botancal Gardens in Phoenix. It will be for their butterfly association and will be, primarily, butterflies, bugs and flowers. If you can handle the summer heat, come see what I have to offer.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    Thanks everyone!!!

All the plants are starting to 'pop' around here and the wildlife is quite abundant, in comparison to last year.

It should be a phenomenal year for bugs, butterflies, birds &, yes, bikes!!!

If you're in Tucson, (north side/Golder Area), come by for a cup of tea, a slow bike ride and afterwards, watch nature…we were told by Jim Brock, "The Butterfly Man" that we have the best butterfly garden in Tucson.

On July 12th, I'm tentatively scheduled to give a photo and macro photography presentation/instructional talk at Desert Botancal Gardens in Phoenix. It will be for their butterfly association and will be, primarily, butterflies, bugs and flowers. If you can handle the summer heat, come see what I have to offer.
    Be sure to post up the details. on your July 12th event. It would be a great excuse to visit the gardens.

Members who have read this thread: 0