wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

OT - AZ Related:"Bad Day for a Wasp" & Upcoming SASI Presentation

Hi All!!!

On September 27th, I'll be giving a presentation at the Sonoran Arthropod Studies Institute . There will be people that are incredible experts to the 'average bug lover (me!) commenting and offering information on my photos. It will be great to have an opportunity to learn something from those who study these creatures all the time. They only open the location to the public once a month, so come out and check out their displays. My presentation is but a small offering for the day. They put on a 'family friendly' day!!!

Our gardens are full of life, right now. As Maynard said, "life eats life" and some of my favorite desert dwellers are back in abundance. I was attempting to photograph this wasp when it actually just 'disappeared' from view. Turns out, he took one "…like an icepick in the forehead…" ('nother obscure one …FZ). This Green Lynx Spider Peucetia viridans hunts on a milkweed plant, an Asclepias angustifolia. There is a signature Small Milkweed Bug Lygaeus kalmii tucked under the flowers, on the right.

Lynx Spiders
    Family: Oxyopidae
    These are mostly tropical spiders with fewer than twenty North American species.

Location:Green Lynx is found in the southern US and in Mexico. They are a hunting spider, spinning neither a nest nor a retreat. Some, however, use a silken 'drag line' to snag prey (if you look closely, you can see pone of her forelegs resting on a silken line, waiting…). These spiders can leap across an opening in vegetation on to prey with incredible accuracy.

Size: The male is usually about 12-14 mm (1/2 inch) and the female slightly larger at 14-16mm (1/2-5/8 inch. Due to the size of the abdomen, I suspect that this, too, is a gravid female.)

ID marks/body characteristics:They have eight eyes with six located on the pale area of the cephalothorax (main 'front part' of body). The other two face directly forward and are visible in this photo. They feed on small insects. They can be bright leaf green, ivory-white or tan. Legs are usually orange/brown/yellow-ish with spiny projections on them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Kathleen in AZ
    Holy cow CJ - That is an amazing picture!!!!!!!