Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Don't believe the Hype...

OT - Anyone want to go longboarding?

Well I just started and I'm hooked. I found some great spots for beginners over on the west side. I went to Estrella Comp loops behind PIR today with my son found a real nice run. The parking lot to PIR is primo for a noob, miles of smooth black top with nice rolling hills and no cars. I have an extra board if anyone wants to try it for the first time. It's kind of like DH where shuttling would make it a lot more fun...
    Last edited by luckybastard; 12-08-2008 at 08:46 AM.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Pivotal figure
    Nooo thank you! My learning curve was pretty painful so I got rid of the board before I killed myself. Very appropriate website there though
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Nooo thank you! My learning curve was pretty painful so I got rid of the board before I killed myself. Very appropriate website there though
    How'd you do that? I'm more of a carver than bomber, that's for sure. That's why I'm starting off on "rolling hills" with no cars I never skated when I was a kid and just started last month at 34 so I'm just taking it easy...This is more like my talent level lol...j/k I'm a little better than a 12 year ld on his frist ride

www.krackedskulls.com

Here's my boy

www.krackedskulls.com

******ed or Branded??
    I usually just cruise around on the green belt that kinda runs parellel with Hayden road. It starts off at 92st and Shea then it takes you all the way down to tempe if you wanted to. But there are great little hills and long cruising session as you go down. The only draw back is you start having to much fun then relize you have a long way back to the car. I usually end up doing a all day ride out there around this time of year. lots of place to stop by and eat and chill and do small shopping (bring backpack). I got a pintailed bamboo sector nine board with gumbie wheels with some high grade bearings. I might join if you pm when you head out,

Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    I usually just cruise around on the green belt that kinda runs parellel with Hayden road. It starts off at 92st and Shea then it takes you all the way down to tempe if you wanted to. But there are great little hills and long cruising session as you go down. The only draw back is you start having to much fun then relize you have a long way back to the car. I usually end up doing a all day ride out there around this time of year. lots of place to stop by and eat and chill and do small shopping (bring backpack). I got a pintailed bamboo sector nine board with gumbie wheels with some high grade bearings. I might join if you pm when you head out,
    Right on, sounds good. I think I talked to you last year about riding up at FINs. You're from Kona right? My wife grew up in Hilo...I took her over to the Cardinals Stadium on Saturday and we cuised the lot then grabbed some beers at the yardhouse.

www.krackedskulls.com

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    Right on, sounds good. I think I talked to you last year about riding up at FINs. You're from Kona right? My wife grew up in Hilo...I took her over to the Cardinals Stadium on Saturday and we cuised the lot then grabbed some beers at the yardhouse.

Oh yeah!!! That's right you live out on the west side. Well I am usually there on the holidays and some weekends to visit my mom out at el mirage. When my sister swings by from NAU we so some sessioning out there. we drive around to find spots to hit. Next time I am out that way I'll pm you!!

Sweet my wife rides too!! But she is just a flat small small grade down cruiser. She likes to ride only where there is definitly no cars.

Oh yeah!!! That's right you live out on the west side. Well I am usually there on the holidays and some weekends to visit my mom out at el mirage. When my sister swings by from NAU we so some sessioning out there. we drive around to find spots to hit. Next time I am out that way I'll pm you!!

Sweet my wife rides too!! But she is just a flat small small grade down cruiser. She likes to ride only where there is definitly no cars.
    Cool, my Hapa Girl is just into the real mild stuff too. The White Tanks would be sweet to. They just black topped the roads in the park.

www.krackedskulls.com

mtbr member
    Here's my boy

What the....? Where are the brakes on that thing?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Wait, what!?
    I go about 3-4 nights a week to some small hills around my neighborhood. Last night, me and a buddy found some pretty mellow hills in the Squaw Peak area. Steep at the top, and then they flatten out near the end, and they were pretty long too, considering the location. We usually go at night because I get off work late, and there are hardly any cars out. The shuttle things works great too! I would be down for an LB shuttle run every now and then, that would be tight!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Longboards are fun, but if you really want to feel like you are surfing try one of these!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    I go about 3-4 nights a week to some small hills around my neighborhood. Last night, me and a buddy found some pretty mellow hills in the Squaw Peak area. Steep at the top, and then they flatten out near the end, and they were pretty long too, considering the location. We usually go at night because I get off work late, and there are hardly any cars out. The shuttle things works great too! I would be down for an LB shuttle run every now and then, that would be tight!
    Shuttling sounds sweet.

The sickest spot I found is Cotton Lane (west side) south of I10. It's a brand new road going up to Estrella Mountain Ranch. No houses on it for probably 2 miles of downhill. 4 lanes and a middle lane. Not crazy steep, but probably steep enough for anyone to enjoy.

It's so new it's not even on the map yet. This is where a new bidge is at the bottom of the run.

Google Maps

www.krackedskulls.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am with ken, but the website is amusing! The R side column of the vid clip shows people being wheeled into an ambulance with a Ked board stabilizing their spine- VERY appropriate website. I am already good enough at messing myself up. I don't need another dangerous addiction, but I do admire the skill and bravery!

Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    I am with ken, but the website is amusing! The R side column of the vid clip shows people being wheeled into an ambulance with a Ked board stabilizing their spine- VERY appropriate website. I am already good enough at messing myself up. I don't need another dangerous addiction, but I do admire the skill and bravery!
    lol don't be scared...These new longboards are crazy stable. I was horrible on a regular little board and feel comfortable as hell on this thing. It's like riding a 29er compaired to a tiny BMX bike.
    Last edited by luckybastard; 12-09-2008 at 06:37 AM.

www.krackedskulls.com

Pivotal figure
    I live at the base of Lookout Mtn so the street in front of my house has a nice mellow angle, perfect for cruising. The only problem is I didn't really have the stopping thing dialed, specifically the panic stop. After getting pretty comfortable with the hill I was letting myself go further before scrubbing speed and was getting up to about 20 mph. Not stupid fast but enough. Of course, a car pulled on to the street right at the absolute worst moment. I tried the quick stop, got wobbly and went down at full speed. No helmet, gloves or pads since "I'm just going out for a few minutes in front of the house"... Lost most of the skin on both palms but somehow avoided breaking my wrists or my skull. I just didn't take it seriously enough and nearly ended up in the hospital. I think I'll stick to things that have "real" brakes
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I live at the base of Lookout Mtn so the street in front of my house has a nice mellow angle, perfect for cruising. The only problem is I didn't really have the stopping thing dialed, specifically the panic stop. After getting pretty comfortable with the hill I was letting myself go further before scrubbing speed and was getting up to about 20 mph. Not stupid fast but enough. Of course, a car pulled on to the street right at the absolute worst moment. I tried the quick stop, got wobbly and went down at full speed. No helmet, gloves or pads since "I'm just going out for a few minutes in front of the house"... Lost most of the skin on both palms but somehow avoided breaking my wrists or my skull. I just didn't take it seriously enough and nearly ended up in the hospital. I think I'll stick to things that have "real" brakes
    damn...I can see being a little gun shy...I only ride big hills at places with no cars. There is no instant stopping unless your really good and can do a slide.

www.krackedskulls.com

Bruno and my new KS

www.krackedskulls.com

mtbr member
    what length is your new scimi, Lucky B? I have a 46'' M1 and a 44'' scimitar. for the cash outlay, you can't beat K.S. i also saw your post over on silverfish. didn't know it was you!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW
    what length is your new scimi, Lucky B? I have a 46'' M1 and a 44'' scimitar. for the cash outlay, you can't beat K.S. i also saw your post over on silverfish. didn't know it was you!
    It's a 46", it's bad ass. I went with the oust bearings, Black RII's, and some 75 Lemon BigZigs. I've been riding the hell out of it. What the difference between the the Scimi and the M1? I doesn't really say on the site.

I just love that you can get just about the best board made with the best parts delivered to your door for less than $200...Hell, you can't get the "best" handlebars for $200...

Let me new if you want to do some shutteling some time. Nothing to steep yet...

Later

Ryan

www.krackedskulls.com

mtbr member
    the M1 was williams first real production board lucky B. its a great rider, and is also available in different lengths. the real difference is in the fact that the scimitar has huge cutouts for clearance with the bigger width and diameter wheels. the 46'' length is a true cadillac in either deck, as you well know. most speed boards like your evo are way stiffer so they wont change truk geometry from flex, and less likely to bounce you off at high speed if you hit an unexpected bump. you can get some speed on the KS. decks though. loose trucks will contribute to the dreaded speed wobble. i set my truks for a compromise, but lean toward looser since i'm more of a carver than a speedboarder DH. my 44'' scimitar is more responsive than my 46''M1, a bit stiffer flex. i am rolling 3dm 75mm 80a avila wheels on the scimi that are 66mm wide. i love the traction of them, but there hugeness makes them not push as well as your B-Z'S . my M1 has abec 11gumballs 76mm,x 78a duro with a 54mm contact patch. (width of 'thane that actually touches the tarmac). great all around wheel. both boards are running randal 11s.

yeah, we might session one day, but i gotta wait a bit more on my ankle injury
    do you have any time off for the holidays? between christmas and new years i'd like to come sample that P.I.R. zone i live clear over in east mesa so that might be a better fit. seeya!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW
    the M1 was williams first real production board lucky B. its a great rider, and is also available in different lengths. the real difference is in the fact that the scimitar has huge cutouts for clearance with the bigger width and diameter wheels. the 46'' length is a true cadillac in either deck, as you well know. most speed boards like your evo are way stiffer so they wont change truk geometry from flex, and less likely to bounce you off at high speed if you hit an unexpected bump. you can get some speed on the KS. decks though. loose trucks will contribute to the dreaded speed wobble. i set my truks for a compromise, but lean toward looser since i'm more of a carver than a speedboarder DH. my 44'' scimitar is more responsive than my 46''M1, a bit stiffer flex. i am rolling 3dm 75mm 80a avila wheels on the scimi that are 66mm wide. i love the traction of them, but there hugeness makes them not push as well as your B-Z'S . my M1 has abec 11gumballs 76mm,x 78a duro with a 54mm contact patch. (width of 'thane that actually touches the tarmac). great all around wheel. both boards are running randal 11s.

yeah, we might session one day, but i gotta wait a bit more on my ankle injury
    do you have any time off for the holidays? between christmas and new years i'd like to come sample that P.I.R. zone i live clear over in east mesa so that might be a better fit. seeya!
    Right on, hit me up when you want to hit...It's like 10 minutes from my place and I'm off that week. If anyone else wants to go, I have a spare board to use.

www.krackedskulls.com

www.krackedskulls.com

******ed or Branded??

Let's check that out this weekend! I should be making a trip to visit my mom this weekend out at El Mirage!!! She lives right across that new wallly world on thunderbird!

Cool, what day you thinking?

www.krackedskulls.com

Let's check that out this weekend! I should be making a trip to visit my mom this weekend out at El Mirage!!! She lives right across that new wallly world on thunderbird!
    Hey let me know if you still want to go boarding this weekend. The White Tanks would actually be closer to your Mom's place but I'd be down for either.

I need to get my ass back on my bike. I've been boarding way too much, so I might do a bike and board trip to FINs or the Tanks. I'll PM you my number

Ryan

www.krackedskulls.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast