Results 1 to 86 of 86
  1. #1
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830

    OT - Anyone want to go longboarding?

    Well I just started and I'm hooked. I found some great spots for beginners over on the west side. I went to Estrella Comp loops behind PIR today with my son found a real nice run. The parking lot to PIR is primo for a noob, miles of smooth black top with nice rolling hills and no cars. I have an extra board if anyone wants to try it for the first time. It's kind of like DH where shuttling would make it a lot more fun...
    Last edited by luckybastard; 12-08-2008 at 09:46 AM.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  2. #2
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,251
    Nooo thank you! My learning curve was pretty painful so I got rid of the board before I killed myself. Very appropriate website there though
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  3. #3
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Nooo thank you! My learning curve was pretty painful so I got rid of the board before I killed myself. Very appropriate website there though
    How'd you do that? I'm more of a carver than bomber, that's for sure. That's why I'm starting off on "rolling hills" with no cars I never skated when I was a kid and just started last month at 34 so I'm just taking it easy...This is more like my talent level lol...j/k I'm a little better than a 12 year ld on his frist ride

    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  4. #4
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Here's my boy

    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  5. #5
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,078
    I usually just cruise around on the green belt that kinda runs parellel with Hayden road. It starts off at 92st and Shea then it takes you all the way down to tempe if you wanted to. But there are great little hills and long cruising session as you go down. The only draw back is you start having to much fun then relize you have a long way back to the car. I usually end up doing a all day ride out there around this time of year. lots of place to stop by and eat and chill and do small shopping (bring backpack). I got a pintailed bamboo sector nine board with gumbie wheels with some high grade bearings. I might join if you pm when you head out,

  6. #6
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    I usually just cruise around on the green belt that kinda runs parellel with Hayden road. It starts off at 92st and Shea then it takes you all the way down to tempe if you wanted to. But there are great little hills and long cruising session as you go down. The only draw back is you start having to much fun then relize you have a long way back to the car. I usually end up doing a all day ride out there around this time of year. lots of place to stop by and eat and chill and do small shopping (bring backpack). I got a pintailed bamboo sector nine board with gumbie wheels with some high grade bearings. I might join if you pm when you head out,
    Right on, sounds good. I think I talked to you last year about riding up at FINs. You're from Kona right? My wife grew up in Hilo...I took her over to the Cardinals Stadium on Saturday and we cuised the lot then grabbed some beers at the yardhouse.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  7. #7
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    Right on, sounds good. I think I talked to you last year about riding up at FINs. You're from Kona right? My wife grew up in Hilo...I took her over to the Cardinals Stadium on Saturday and we cuised the lot then grabbed some beers at the yardhouse.

    Oh yeah!!! That's right you live out on the west side. Well I am usually there on the holidays and some weekends to visit my mom out at el mirage. When my sister swings by from NAU we so some sessioning out there. we drive around to find spots to hit. Next time I am out that way I'll pm you!!

    Sweet my wife rides too!! But she is just a flat small small grade down cruiser. She likes to ride only where there is definitly no cars.

  8. #8
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    Oh yeah!!! That's right you live out on the west side. Well I am usually there on the holidays and some weekends to visit my mom out at el mirage. When my sister swings by from NAU we so some sessioning out there. we drive around to find spots to hit. Next time I am out that way I'll pm you!!

    Sweet my wife rides too!! But she is just a flat small small grade down cruiser. She likes to ride only where there is definitly no cars.
    Cool, my Hapa Girl is just into the real mild stuff too. The White Tanks would be sweet to. They just black topped the roads in the park.

    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,204
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    Here's my boy

    What the....? Where are the brakes on that thing?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  10. #10
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    I go about 3-4 nights a week to some small hills around my neighborhood. Last night, me and a buddy found some pretty mellow hills in the Squaw Peak area. Steep at the top, and then they flatten out near the end, and they were pretty long too, considering the location. We usually go at night because I get off work late, and there are hardly any cars out. The shuttle things works great too! I would be down for an LB shuttle run every now and then, that would be tight!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    659
    Longboards are fun, but if you really want to feel like you are surfing try one of these!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    I go about 3-4 nights a week to some small hills around my neighborhood. Last night, me and a buddy found some pretty mellow hills in the Squaw Peak area. Steep at the top, and then they flatten out near the end, and they were pretty long too, considering the location. We usually go at night because I get off work late, and there are hardly any cars out. The shuttle things works great too! I would be down for an LB shuttle run every now and then, that would be tight!
    Shuttling sounds sweet.

    The sickest spot I found is Cotton Lane (west side) south of I10. It's a brand new road going up to Estrella Mountain Ranch. No houses on it for probably 2 miles of downhill. 4 lanes and a middle lane. Not crazy steep, but probably steep enough for anyone to enjoy.

    It's so new it's not even on the map yet. This is where a new bidge is at the bottom of the run.

    Google Maps
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,382
    I am with ken, but the website is amusing! The R side column of the vid clip shows people being wheeled into an ambulance with a Ked board stabilizing their spine- VERY appropriate website. I am already good enough at messing myself up. I don't need another dangerous addiction, but I do admire the skill and bravery!

  14. #14
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    I am with ken, but the website is amusing! The R side column of the vid clip shows people being wheeled into an ambulance with a Ked board stabilizing their spine- VERY appropriate website. I am already good enough at messing myself up. I don't need another dangerous addiction, but I do admire the skill and bravery!
    lol don't be scared...These new longboards are crazy stable. I was horrible on a regular little board and feel comfortable as hell on this thing. It's like riding a 29er compaired to a tiny BMX bike.
    Last edited by luckybastard; 12-09-2008 at 07:37 AM.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  15. #15
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,251
    I live at the base of Lookout Mtn so the street in front of my house has a nice mellow angle, perfect for cruising. The only problem is I didn't really have the stopping thing dialed, specifically the panic stop. After getting pretty comfortable with the hill I was letting myself go further before scrubbing speed and was getting up to about 20 mph. Not stupid fast but enough. Of course, a car pulled on to the street right at the absolute worst moment. I tried the quick stop, got wobbly and went down at full speed. No helmet, gloves or pads since "I'm just going out for a few minutes in front of the house"... Lost most of the skin on both palms but somehow avoided breaking my wrists or my skull. I just didn't take it seriously enough and nearly ended up in the hospital. I think I'll stick to things that have "real" brakes
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  16. #16
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I live at the base of Lookout Mtn so the street in front of my house has a nice mellow angle, perfect for cruising. The only problem is I didn't really have the stopping thing dialed, specifically the panic stop. After getting pretty comfortable with the hill I was letting myself go further before scrubbing speed and was getting up to about 20 mph. Not stupid fast but enough. Of course, a car pulled on to the street right at the absolute worst moment. I tried the quick stop, got wobbly and went down at full speed. No helmet, gloves or pads since "I'm just going out for a few minutes in front of the house"... Lost most of the skin on both palms but somehow avoided breaking my wrists or my skull. I just didn't take it seriously enough and nearly ended up in the hospital. I think I'll stick to things that have "real" brakes
    damn...I can see being a little gun shy...I only ride big hills at places with no cars. There is no instant stopping unless your really good and can do a slide.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  17. #17
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830

    Bruno and my new KS

    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BIGHORN LEW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    780
    what length is your new scimi, Lucky B? I have a 46'' M1 and a 44'' scimitar. for the cash outlay, you can't beat K.S. i also saw your post over on silverfish. didn't know it was you!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

  19. #19
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW
    what length is your new scimi, Lucky B? I have a 46'' M1 and a 44'' scimitar. for the cash outlay, you can't beat K.S. i also saw your post over on silverfish. didn't know it was you!
    It's a 46", it's bad ass. I went with the oust bearings, Black RII's, and some 75 Lemon BigZigs. I've been riding the hell out of it. What the difference between the the Scimi and the M1? I doesn't really say on the site.

    I just love that you can get just about the best board made with the best parts delivered to your door for less than $200...Hell, you can't get the "best" handlebars for $200...

    Let me new if you want to do some shutteling some time. Nothing to steep yet...

    Later

    Ryan
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BIGHORN LEW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    780
    the M1 was williams first real production board lucky B. its a great rider, and is also available in different lengths. the real difference is in the fact that the scimitar has huge cutouts for clearance with the bigger width and diameter wheels. the 46'' length is a true cadillac in either deck, as you well know. most speed boards like your evo are way stiffer so they wont change truk geometry from flex, and less likely to bounce you off at high speed if you hit an unexpected bump. you can get some speed on the KS. decks though. loose trucks will contribute to the dreaded speed wobble. i set my truks for a compromise, but lean toward looser since i'm more of a carver than a speedboarder DH. my 44'' scimitar is more responsive than my 46''M1, a bit stiffer flex. i am rolling 3dm 75mm 80a avila wheels on the scimi that are 66mm wide. i love the traction of them, but there hugeness makes them not push as well as your B-Z'S . my M1 has abec 11gumballs 76mm,x 78a duro with a 54mm contact patch. (width of 'thane that actually touches the tarmac). great all around wheel. both boards are running randal 11s.

    yeah, we might session one day, but i gotta wait a bit more on my ankle injury
    do you have any time off for the holidays? between christmas and new years i'd like to come sample that P.I.R. zone i live clear over in east mesa so that might be a better fit. seeya!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

  21. #21
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW
    the M1 was williams first real production board lucky B. its a great rider, and is also available in different lengths. the real difference is in the fact that the scimitar has huge cutouts for clearance with the bigger width and diameter wheels. the 46'' length is a true cadillac in either deck, as you well know. most speed boards like your evo are way stiffer so they wont change truk geometry from flex, and less likely to bounce you off at high speed if you hit an unexpected bump. you can get some speed on the KS. decks though. loose trucks will contribute to the dreaded speed wobble. i set my truks for a compromise, but lean toward looser since i'm more of a carver than a speedboarder DH. my 44'' scimitar is more responsive than my 46''M1, a bit stiffer flex. i am rolling 3dm 75mm 80a avila wheels on the scimi that are 66mm wide. i love the traction of them, but there hugeness makes them not push as well as your B-Z'S . my M1 has abec 11gumballs 76mm,x 78a duro with a 54mm contact patch. (width of 'thane that actually touches the tarmac). great all around wheel. both boards are running randal 11s.

    yeah, we might session one day, but i gotta wait a bit more on my ankle injury
    do you have any time off for the holidays? between christmas and new years i'd like to come sample that P.I.R. zone i live clear over in east mesa so that might be a better fit. seeya!
    Right on, hit me up when you want to hit...It's like 10 minutes from my place and I'm off that week. If anyone else wants to go, I have a spare board to use.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  22. #22
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  23. #23
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard

    Let's check that out this weekend! I should be making a trip to visit my mom this weekend out at El Mirage!!! She lives right across that new wallly world on thunderbird!

  24. #24
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Cool, what day you thinking?
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  25. #25
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    Let's check that out this weekend! I should be making a trip to visit my mom this weekend out at El Mirage!!! She lives right across that new wallly world on thunderbird!
    Hey let me know if you still want to go boarding this weekend. The White Tanks would actually be closer to your Mom's place but I'd be down for either.

    I need to get my ass back on my bike. I've been boarding way too much, so I might do a bike and board trip to FINs or the Tanks. I'll PM you my number

    Ryan
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  26. #26
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830

    Dogboarding

    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  27. #27
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    Long shot, but is anyone riding tonight?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    100

    Here's a little vid of my own

    Shot on a BB so the quality sucks.....enjoy!


  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kendogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by GodMadeDirt
    Shot on a BB so the quality sucks.....enjoy!

    Either your sidewalk cracks are real narrow, or your dog is hauling ass.
    .....

  30. #30
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,177
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    Do you live/roll in Ahwatukee? On several occasions I've seen a guy being pulled by their dog (I think a boxer?) as I've approached my house when riding back from work on my bike.

  31. #31
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Do you live/roll in Ahwatukee? On several occasions I've seen a guy being pulled by their dog (I think a boxer?) as I've approached my house when riding back from work on my bike.
    Nope, I live out by the Cards Stadium.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  32. #32
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    Either your sidewalk cracks are real narrow, or your dog is hauling ass.
    He hauls ass
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  33. #33
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by GodMadeDirt
    Shot on a BB so the quality sucks.....enjoy!

    What kinda of harness it that? Looks like it's padded real good.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  34. #34
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    Just pulled the trigger on a new board! First one I have bought for myself in about 8 years and I am stoked for it to arrive! Where are all the good ditches at in this freaking city!?
    Apex 37

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kendogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    765
    Back in the late 80's my buds and I used to skate the big ditch by the Warpaint trailhead. There weren't many houses there back then, and with the houses came the cops. Every time I ride up to that trail head, I think about all the good times had there in my youth.
    .....

  36. #36
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830

    Apex

    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Just pulled the trigger on a new board! First one I have bought for myself in about 8 years and I am stoked for it to arrive! Where are all the good ditches at in this freaking city!?
    Apex 37
    Dude you'll love it! I have the Apex 34 and it's so bad ass. They seem to ship them with the truck as loose as possible, so if you haven't rode the original trucks yet, tighten them up a little because they carve like crazy. What part on town are you on? There is a pretty nice ditch at the Cards stadium. Here some pics from yeterday, we hit a few spots (and a few Pubs) off the light Rail.

    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  37. #37
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    Back in the late 80's my buds and I used to skate the big ditch by the Warpaint trailhead. There weren't many houses there back then, and with the houses came the cops. Every time I ride up to that trail head, I think about all the good times had there in my youth.
    So have you been riding that Dervish much?
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  38. #38
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    This is the SW corner of the Suns Stadium across from Copperstown...

    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  39. #39
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  40. #40
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    Dude you'll love it! I have the Apex 34 and it's so bad ass. They seem to ship them with the truck as loose as possible, so if you haven't rode the original trucks yet, tighten them up a little because they carve like crazy. What part on town are you on? There is a pretty nice ditch at the Cards stadium. Here some pics from yeterday, we hit a few spots (and a few Pubs) off the light Rail.
    Yea, I bought a few buddies of mine some of their boards for Christmas last year and I ride the trucks pretty often. Love them. Im around the Boltmore area. We have talked about heading out to the Cards House at some point. Where abouts is the ditch in relation? North? South? East? West? Any other pics?

  41. #41
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Yea, I bought a few buddies of mine some of their boards for Christmas last year and I ride the trucks pretty often. Love them. Im around the Boltmore area. We have talked about heading out to the Cards House at some point. Where abouts is the ditch in relation? North? South? East? West? Any other pics?
    Right on, I have a Custom 45 also that I mostly use time have my dogs pull me on, great boards. It's in the SW Corner, right off Bethany Home and the loop 101. Hit me up if you go, I'm like 5 minutes from there. We've been doing a group rides on Friday nights there lately...I posted some pics on here.

    http://www.facebook.com/photo_search...id=37575137155
    Last edited by luckybastard; 05-03-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  42. #42
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    Yea, it was either the Custom 45 or the Apex. I have a Sec9 Luke Nosewalker that I might throw some S10s on, so Im glad I went with the Apex. Just talked to the same dudes with the Originals and it looks like we are heading to In-N-Out and are going to make our way out to the Cards Stadium I guess! Is it ridable in low to no light?

  43. #43
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Yea, it was either the Custom 45 or the Apex. I have a Sec9 Luke Nosewalker that I might throw some S10s on, so Im glad I went with the Apex. Just talked to the same dudes with the Originals and it looks like we are heading to In-N-Out and are going to make our way out to the Cards Stadium I guess! Is it ridable in low to no light?
    Did you guys make it out there last night?
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  44. #44
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    We did make it out there. Pretty sweet, but my helmet light is no substitution for sun light. I can see where that place would be flipping sweet if the little curb wasnt in the middle of it! Does that ditch that runs off to the North ever dry out? Looks like that would be supreme!

  45. #45
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    We did make it out there. Pretty sweet, but my helmet light is no substitution for sun light. I can see where that place would be flipping sweet if the little curb wasnt in the middle of it! Does that ditch that runs off to the North ever dry out? Looks like that would be supreme!
    Right on. I actually thought about getting some "quick crete" and trying to make that curb ridable. Did you take the greenbelt at all? Under the bridges and pretty fun to. Did you guys ride the overpass on Maryland? There normally isn't any traffic , so you can bomb that towards the stadium.

    Give me a ring or Text me if you go again. We're probably going Friday night.

    Ryan
    623-523-7943
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  46. #46
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    Woah, I have no idea how I missed that last post. The quick crete idea is fabulous in my eyes! We pretty much just rode that little area, and for a short time we rode around in the parking lot teaching a friend of mine how to do it. No idea where the overpass is, but sounds tight!

    Tonight we rode a pretty sweet parking garage on Bell. Four levels with an elevator, and its pretty mellow if you want it to be. Also totally bombable! I took another guy who has never really done anything like that before and he caught on really well! I think the stability of my Nosewalker in encouraging, haha. Im uploading a vid on YouTube right now that I will post later. Apex should be in on the 13th!

  47. #47
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742

  48. #48
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Nice!
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  49. #49
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    The only thing that sucks about being the only person that can ride and record at the same time is that I have hardly any footage of me, haha. We went back again tonight, so I will post some pics and maybe another vid in a bit.

    Sucks about getting booted at the Stadium. Did you get any good ride time in at least?

    1) A few boards in the elevator
    2) Buddy Arthur on this Derringer



    Last edited by Enduroblood; 05-09-2009 at 01:52 AM.

  50. #50
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    I brought my son and a couple his llittle buddies. And as soon as we got there, one of them had a trick board and tried olliing up on the little perimeter wall. So some old prick rolled up and said we had to leave because he was doing tricks...So we just went back to my house and rode around the hood then jumped in my pool, so it was all good.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  51. #51
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    Apex came in last night and I am in love all over again. This board is gnarly.





  52. #52
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Apex came in last night and I am in love all over again. This board is gnarly.




    Are those the S8 trucks? I just love how you can turn on a dime. It scares alot of people because they are so responsive, but I love it.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  53. #53
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    Rockin the S8 trucks. I do love how they turn. Thats actually the main reason I couldnt get away from the idea of having an Original complete. If we ever ride together, chances are my buddy with the Derringer 28 will be there too, and that things TURNS.

    Speaking of trucks.... http://www.tarantulatrucks.com/index.html

  54. #54
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Rockin the S8 trucks. I do love how they turn. Thats actually the main reason I couldnt get away from the idea of having an Original complete. If we ever ride together, chances are my buddy with the Derringer 28 will be there too, and that things TURNS.

    Speaking of trucks.... http://www.tarantulatrucks.com/index.html
    I saw those in Concrete Wave. I bet it feels pretty cool, but looks like a good way to eat it getting caught up in those trucks...On my Custom 45 with the S10 trucks you really have to watching it when kicking. Imagine trying to bail with those suckers sticking up like that...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  55. #55
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    Haha, good point. I guess the goal is to be good enough that you dont have to bail anymore....?

    We are hitting up Light Rail tonight. Going to be about 5 of us, and will probably be a learning night for my friend Lindsey. I think the plan is to end up at TTL and will just cruise around where ever we decide to get off between here and there. Grab something to eat down town maybe? Sparking any interest?

  56. #56
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Haha, good point. I guess the goal is to be good enough that you dont have to bail anymore....?

    We are hitting up Light Rail tonight. Going to be about 5 of us, and will probably be a learning night for my friend Lindsey. I think the plan is to end up at TTL and will just cruise around where ever we decide to get off between here and there. Grab something to eat down town maybe? Sparking any interest?
    I totally would have been down, but had tickets to see Joe Rogan at the Improv (great show).

    Let me know next time you gus go, we had a blast when when did our Pub/Rail/Roll.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mt bk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    112
    What a great thread. I remember riding that ditch by Warpaint forever when there were no houses there. Post up the next time there's a rail/pub crawl. I've riding my powell quite a bit lately, and I'm looking to score a much shorter sector 9 (33 inch) soon.
    Just Ride!

  58. #58
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by mt bk
    What a great thread. I remember riding that ditch by Warpaint forever when there were no houses there. Post up the next time there's a rail/pub crawl. I've riding my powell quite a bit lately, and I'm looking to score a much shorter sector 9 (33 inch) soon.
    Will do. Did you check this out?

    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...5137155&ref=ts

    My wife told me she's done with the "Boards, Bars and Trains" until it cools down so I'll be looking for some new partners in crime....
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  59. #59
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    Well Im done with boards for a while. I actually railed a big pot hole Wed night and did myself in. I was moving along pretty damn fast and was looking behind me when I hit it, and totaled my left clavicle this time. Its not as bad as my right side from 2007, but it IS my first skate related break if that counts for anything? Looks like I will be on the sidelines taking more pics for the next few weeks.


  60. #60
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Well Im done with boards for a while. I actually railed a big pot hole Wed night and did myself in. I was moving along pretty damn fast and was looking behind me when I hit it, and totaled my left clavicle this time. Its not as bad as my right side from 2007, but it IS my first skate related break if that counts for anything? Looks like I will be on the sidelines taking more pics for the next few weeks.

    Daaaaam! That sucks! I guess that's why boarding and Biking are so rewarding. There is always a chance of something bad happening...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  61. #61
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    So I rode the garage again last night, and even when taking it easy, this Apex is a blast. I passed some time the other day by making some ghetto sliding gloves and my buddy tried them out, so of course I had to follow and get some vids!

    Had a question about skate parks. Has anyone here ever ridden one on a long board? We have been talking about trying it out once my collar bone is healed up, but am not sure how well it would go. Not sure if long boards are "hated" like bikes or whatever. I have seen a few videos of people doing it and it looks pretty fun.

    http://pvgrind.com/parks.php

  62. #62
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    So I rode the garage again last night, and even when taking it easy, this Apex is a blast. I passed some time the other day by making some ghetto sliding gloves and my buddy tried them out, so of course I had to follow and get some vids!

    Had a question about skate parks. Has anyone here ever ridden one on a long board? We have been talking about trying it out once my collar bone is healed up, but am not sure how well it would go. Not sure if long boards are "hated" like bikes or whatever. I have seen a few videos of people doing it and it looks pretty fun.

    http://pvgrind.com/parks.php
    I've gone a few times to the one in Goodyear. It's really fun if it's not busy. It's just hard to build much speed since you can't really drop in anywhere. I've never had problems with hater's, but I'm 6'2" 185lbs and 34 years old...Just try to go when it's really dead.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  63. #63
    Everyone Bleeds!
    Reputation: ArmedMonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    315

    Cool-blue Rhythm Just curious

    What does Longboarding have to do with MTB? I mean WTF! Isn't there a forum for skateboarders? What doe's a big plank with four wheels attached to the bottom have to do with mountain biking? MTB's have two wheels attached to a frame with brakes and sometimes gears! No planks are involved! Again! Just curious!!!
    Last edited by ArmedMonk; 06-02-2009 at 11:01 PM.
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

  64. #64
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    No real close connections, but that is why LuckyB started this thread with "OT" which of course means "Off Topic." Just like the threads about the best plumber in town, or motorcross, its something that is obviously somewhat of a common interest between us. I like to think of it as networking

  65. #65
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedMonk
    What does Longboarding have to do with MTB? I mean WTF! Isn't there a forum for skateboarders? What doe's a big plank with four wheels attached to the bottom have to do with mountain biking? MTB's have two wheels attached to a frame with brakes and sometimes gears! No planks are involved! Again! Just curious!!!
    I figured anyone who can MTB, has enough balance and are in shape enough to longboard around on flat land or real small hills…So thought I'd ask.

    It is pretty similar though...Good exercise, human powered fun that requires skill and balance. It's similar to trail riding were you have to focus or you could eat it...Gravity makes it much better...You can ride by yourself and have a good time, but a group rides are fun as hell. It’s really fun to drink a couple beers after a good ride (and sometimes during).

    Plus the Skate forums are full of annoying little kids...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  66. #66
    igoslo
    Reputation: SoloRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    971
    Ok, so I haven't lived in AZ in two years, but I occasionally come back to visit so that counts, right? Anyway, just got into longboarding in the last month. Here in Seattle if I want to mountain bike it involves a much longer drive with lousier traffic than I ever had to deal with in the 'nix, especially if I want(ed) to go after work(currently unemployed). With the longboard, I walk outside and my playground is right there. Mountain biking will always be king, but this is a good second.

    I've built these two decks to get me started and I'm starting on the next one in a few days. Talk about a cheap hobby, I can have 10x the longboard quiver for 1/4 of the cost of a single bike.


  67. #67
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloRider
    Ok, so I haven't lived in AZ in two years, but I occasionally come back to visit so that counts, right? Anyway, just got into longboarding in the last month. Here in Seattle if I want to mountain bike it involves a much longer drive with lousier traffic than I ever had to deal with in the 'nix, especially if I want(ed) to go after work(currently unemployed). With the longboard, I walk outside and my playground is right there. Mountain biking will always be king, but this is a good second.

    I've built these two decks to get me started and I'm starting on the next one in a few days. Talk about a cheap hobby, I can have 10x the longboard quiver for 1/4 of the cost of a single bike.

    Those are some great looking boards. I feel totally the same way. Round trip, I have of a hour of drive/prep time to actually hit the trail. Or I can have a blast and good work out right out the door. It's almost impossible to spend more the $300 on a complete setup and can get a real nice complete for $150 that will last for years.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  68. #68
    Wait, what!?
    Reputation: Enduroblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    742
    Bringing it back! Its been over a month now since my last mountain bike ride, but I have found that even though the collar bone isnt back to 100% yet, I can still ride the hell out of my board! Still pretty much the camera guy though, as I dont want to get TOO crazy just yet. Here is a vid of Candace rolling down the garage a few days ago on the Original Derringer 28 board.


  69. #69
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Bringing it back! Its been over a month now since my last mountain bike ride, but I have found that even though the collar bone isnt back to 100% yet, I can still ride the hell out of my board! Still pretty much the camera guy though, as I dont want to get TOO crazy just yet. Here is a vid of Candace rolling down the garage a few days ago on the Original Derringer 28 board.

    Very cool! How long has she been riding? Original Boards are so badass. I love how you can control your speed so easy since they turn so tight. I need to hit some Garages...I'm close to the Cards Stadium but downtown is the closest garages to me...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  70. #70
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    A friend of mine is throwing a little Slide Clinic Sunday @ 4:00 if anyone want to see some of this monkey business in action...


    Originally Posted by LostinJerzey
    First Annual SLIDE CLINIC!!!
    *These clinics will take place either once a month or every 2 weeks*

    Date: March 14th (sunday)
    Time: 4:00 PM
    Place: Mill Hill
    (For those of you that don't know where that is, It's over the mill ave bridge (phoenix side) on the left hand under the 202.)

    All experience levels welcome!!

    We will be teaching tech sliding and soft wheel sliding and jammin out having fun!
    If you want to learn come on out!

    This is a great hill for beginers to learn and experienced riders to improve their skills!

    Equipment needed:
    Wheels:
    Soft wheel sliding: 82a or higher duro
    Tech Sliding: 96a or higher duro

    You can bring a regular street deck to learn on, you do NOT NEED a tech slide deck and wheels.

    Please have at least gloves and a helmet. knee pads would be a good choice if you have them. YOU WILL FALL!!

    Tempe cruise after this event

    Check out this event on facebook courtesy of lucky bastard:Slide Clinic

    Contact me if you get lost or can't find it: 908-910-0296

    **These events are in collaboration with phoenix downhill. A percentage of proceedes from outlaws and competitions will help support upcoming legit races and competitions. Phoenix Downhill riders will attend slide clinics to help teach and answer questions. Please help our scene grow and improve. Learning how to slide properly will not only improve you stoke and gnar-ness but at some time may save your life! Riding is only one part of longboarding. Knowing how to stop is even more important.**
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steelmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    202
    Video I made last fall of some boarding...this is out by Joshua Tree NP
    The Hero cam works pretty good mounted on a spring clamp on the nose of the board.

    from G. O. on Vimeo.


  72. #72
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,747
    Any recommendation on a board for an old fart like me ? 6'4" 220lbs..

    I use to skate pools as a kid and have good coordination but brittle bones

  73. #73
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey
    Video I made last fall of some boarding...this is out by Joshua Tree NP
    The Hero cam works pretty good mounted on a spring clamp on the nose of the board.

    from G. O. on Vimeo.

    Very cool!
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  74. #74
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Any recommendation on a board for an old fart like me ? 6'4" 220lbs..

    I use to skate pools as a kid and have good coordination but brittle bones
    A LDP setup ( http://pavedwave.org/ go to the "How to" tab ) is pretty awesome as long as you're not planning doing major DH stuff. These boards are setup for pumping so you almost never have to kick. It's more of the "grown up" boarders board. Some guy road one 250 miles in 24 hours....crazy shiz.

    For regular Kick-Push boards, I think the Krackedskulls M1 is the best deal out there. You can get a complete delivered for $140.

    I also love http://www.earthwingskateboards.com/ . I have the Boomerang and it's unreal. A Mystery Model and a Supercharger would be good also.

    Craigslist always has a few. Plus you can test ride them. I've seen some locals are building them also.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  75. #75
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,747
    gracias bastard... i'll do some research.

  76. #76
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    gracias bastard... i'll do some research.
    no problemo. I'll be at the that slide clinic with my son from 4- 7ish if you want to check out some boards. I'll have a few with me. I drive a tan Trooper and most likely be the oldest looking one there.

    Ryan
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  77. #77
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Here's a video of the the last Slide Clinic

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXtzzksHLs

    Next one is this Sunday starting around 4...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  78. #78
    !@#$%&!
    Reputation: zukicidal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    270
    When you get the need for speed, come out to Fountain Hills.

    Arizona Bomb Squad

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HidhORNSFxs

  79. #79
    !@#$%&!
    Reputation: zukicidal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    270
    This is the ultimate ride. Silent Sunday on Somo. It's a 10 minute ride from the saddle to the parking lot. The part above the saddle is faster too.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CNDG...eature=related

  80. #80
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by zukicidal
    This is the ultimate ride. Silent Sunday on Somo. It's a 10 minute ride from the saddle to the parking lot. The part above the saddle is faster too.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CNDG...eature=related
    I'm gonna try to make it to the next one, I think I'm ready for it
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  81. #81
    windrider
    Reputation: bigrigmig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    177
    Hey LB,

    I do a bit of boarding at the parking lot at 101 and Glendale. Here's a link to a clip (I haven't posted a link here yet so hopefully this works- will research this further);

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixNcp7FjeZQ

    BRM
    BRM

  82. #82
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrigmig
    Hey LB,

    I do a bit of boarding at the parking lot at 101 and Glendale. Here's a link to a clip (I haven't posted a link here yet so hopefully this works- will research this further);

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixNcp7FjeZQ

    BRM
    Sweet! I actually bought a kite and tried it over there when I first started riding. I need to take it out again. I don't have a clue how to use it...lol. I was kinda figuring it out, but it's been so long since I last tried it. What size is that Kite? I don't remember how big the one I got is...It seemed like I was flying at the time...

    Let me know if you want to meet up there some time.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  83. #83
    windrider
    Reputation: bigrigmig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    177
    LB,

    PM me with a contact number and we can talk it over. I've been kitesurfing since 2000 and spent two seasons teaching it in '03 and '04. I'd be glad to see what kite you have and catch up for some how to tips.

    BRM
    BRM

  84. #84
    !@#$%&!
    Reputation: zukicidal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    270
    I've missed the last couple months due to my new mtn bike addiction but I'll try to make it this month. Best to meet at the parking lot at (or before) dawn cuz you gotta hike up. We use the Kiwanas trail. Bring pads and helmet, there's no soft place to bail. Bright clothes are good too so the roadies don't run you over.

  85. #85
    !@#$%&!
    Reputation: zukicidal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    270
    If anyone is interested we are riding Fountain Hills tomorrow morning, Sunday June 20th. 7am. PM me if interested with your phone # and I'll. Call you with directions.

    I'm planning to bring my bike too so I can ride a bit at McDowell afterward. Later...

  86. #86
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by zukicidal
    If anyone is interested we are riding Fountain Hills tomorrow morning, Sunday June 20th. 7am. PM me if interested with your phone # and I'll. Call you with directions.

    I'm planning to bring my bike too so I can ride a bit at McDowell afterward. Later...
    Missed this yesterday...Are you going to Silent Sunday this week?
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •