Just Joshin' ya!

OT - Anyone know a good roofer?

Damn, I found a leak this morning. Had to miss the short bus because of it. Anyone have a good reference on a roofer?
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    have you ruled out the possibility of a leaky water pipe (or condensation from an uninsulated section of A/C vent) if there are any above your ceiling? I'd try cutting out a little square in the ceiling near the wet spot to peek around first.

mtbr member
    Nope sorry, Just Rufies. If you pop a couple of 'em, the leaky roof problem will go away.
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp ThAAng
    Nope sorry, Just Rufies. If you pop a couple of 'em, the leaky roof problem will go away.
    But then Aaaarvin might show up at your house.
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    have you ruled out the possibility of a leaky water pipe (or condensation from an uninsulated section of A/C vent) if there are any above your ceiling? I'd try cutting out a little square in the ceiling near the wet spot to peek around first.

Yep, got up in the attic and it turned out to be an AC problem. For some reason the pipe from the pan is not draining out the condensation. This must have been going on for weeks. I just construed it as a roof problem with the recent rain. The home warranty will cover this one....thank goodness.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Flaccid Member
    Check where the A/c condensor pipe drains out, out side. Spider webs, trash, cats using planters for kitty litter and burying the end of the pipe can cause problems. A very thin snake should solve the problem. Sometimes the PVC in your attic can crack, due to too much heat and exposure. Schedule 40, while cheap and used for A/C drain pipe, is designed to be covered completely, and not have exposure to air or sunlight. Air causes the PVC to dry out, get brittle and fail. Probably as simple as a repipe. Best to do Attic work first thing at daybreak, when it's coolest.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    Yep, got up in the attic and it turned out to be an AC problem.
    damn i'm smooth... one rain storm does not a leaky roof make. besides with no humidity a one time leak would dry out in no time.
    whenever air is cooled suddenly,, its humidity increases... if its cooled to the dewpoint (like around an uninsulated a/c section) it will be come saturated and condense out the water.
    if the dewpoint is below freezing (a cold beer can just taken out of the freezer) the condensation will be in the the form of surface frost...

what really sucks (here) is when you live on the top floor of a 6 story condo with a flat roof
    after 2 feet of snow is up there in winter,, then you suddenly get a 50 degree day and you know that heavy melting crap is going to do anything and everything to find any available nook to breach the roof... part of the reason i want to move to az.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    damn i'm smooth... one rain storm does not a leaky roof make. besides with no humidity a one time leak would dry out in no time.
    whenever air is cooled suddenly,, its humidity increases... if its cooled to the dewpoint (like around an uninsulated a/c section) it will be come saturated and condense out the water.
    if the dewpoint is below freezing (a cold beer can just taken out of the freezer) the condensation will be in the the form of surface frost...

what really sucks (here) is when you live on the top floor of a 6 story condo with a flat roof
    after 2 feet of snow is up there in winter,, then you suddenly get a 50 degree day and you know that heavy melting crap is going to do anything and everything to find any available nook to breach the roof... part of the reason i want to move to az.
    It snows in AZ.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    It snows in AZ.
    not where i'd be moving... i never want to see that stuff again as long as i live...

just found out nevada has no state income tax,, this could affect my decision... vegas burbs are cheap too...

mtbr member
    I have two AC drain pipes and all the water is coming out the top. I think I remember the inspector saying that when it gets to that point it is a bad thing. Is that true? Should the AC only drain out the bottom?
    If so I know what I am doing Sat morning.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    I have two AC drain pipes and all the water is coming out the top. I think I remember the inspector saying that when it gets to that point it is a bad thing. Is that true? Should the AC only drain out the bottom?
    If so I know what I am doing Sat morning.
    I'm about the most clueless peson you'll ever meet when it comes to this kind of stuff, but we got a new A/C unit last year. Before we got it, we had them come out to check the old unit, and they said about once a year, you need to clean out the pipes, as they might get clogged. Nonetheless, you should have a drain pipe someplace on the outside of the house, and if that pipe stops draining, you have issues.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    if you open up the access panel (to where the filter is), there should be a drain pan,, then a pipe from the drain pan going somewhere down,, the clog is more likely to occur closer to the unit. usually there is a junction with a quick remove where you can feed a pipe snake thru