Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

OT: Anybody go to NAU?

Anybody go to NAU? How'd you like it? I'm thinking about putting in an application to start in Fall of 2013.

I was thinking about Forestry because I'd like to work for NPS, USFS, BLM, etc, but Forestry sounds a lot like a "Starbucks" degree if you can't get in with a .gov agency. I was also thinking about something computer related, but this is all in the planning stage at this point.

I know I've said Flagstaff is full of weirdos in the past, and I stand by that, but I can deal with them as they're mostly harmless. The proximity to Sedona and the riding/recreation in Flagstaff make up for it. My only concerns are that housing in Flagstaff is really high, and the job outlook is pitiful.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Yes, my brother..he loved it. He would have lived up there after, if the job market was better. I can have him give you a ring if you want. Plus I need a place to crash up there in the summer!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    YPlus I need a place to crash up there in the summer!
    Yes, not studio apartment Easy, we need lots of summer living space.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My daughter went there before finishing her degree at ASU. She really, really liked it. Heck, I know a bunch of people that went to NAU. I kid a lot about the hippies, but Flag is a pretty cool place if you can tolerate the winter.

mtbr member
    Where are all the hippies and low-lifers you guys keep referring to?

I'm going to look for some on my way to work at NAU today.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Only hippies I see are at Flag brewery.

Always in the wrong gear
    I went to NAU for three semesters in Flagstaff. I now attend via online and love it. Two semesters left.

mtbr member
    I went to NAU years ago. Let me rephrase that: I enrolled at NAU years ago . I never really went to class like I was supposed to. Great town, great surroundings, great weather.

mtbr member
    I always thought Flag and Sedona had a high percentage of hippies, hipsters, and general weirdos. It might be the small geographic area skewing the sampling percentage though. Either way, besides looking and acting a little off, they're harmless, so I don't worry too much about it.

Really the only thing that makes me hesitate is the lack of affordable housing/jobs in Flagstaff. At 26, I'm a little old to live in a dorm, and even the sh!thole apartments on Craigslist are $600 a month. I guess I could always do the Traildoc and live in a motorcasa and poach a camp spot in the Nat'l Forest.

But yeah, if I do wind up going through with it, I'd gladly be the host for the Official MTBR Flophouse.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just graduated from NAU in May and it was a great place. Lots of riding, and the cycling club on campus is constantly ranked in the top 10 in the country for mountain biking (xc, dh, ds/4x), and top 15 for road racing. If you meet the right people there are group rides for any skill level any weekend and trips to places like Moab for fun and trips to lots of races. But it is rather expensive to live up here and you can get a job but it might not be the best one to start.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    starting college at 26 was fun taking day classes (commuting of course). you end up somewhat of a pseudo-celebrity, but it also allows you to be somewhat of a mentor.
    many of the fresh-out-of-highschool kids are just really wandering aimlessly, and need to hear the real-world perspective of someone other than school faculty
    surprisingly, i never had one kid ask me to help them get alcohol, but i would frequently hear someone yell "PANAMA" as i crossed campus.

Vincit qui patitur
    There are jobs up there. Maybe not what you want but there are some.
    Like it was said before WE need a flophouse too.
    There are places to live and maybe roomates.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

I am Bob
    If you're looking to pursue anything computer/math/science related, and you have been out of school more than a couple of years, I strongly recommend brushing up on math with a site like...
    https://www.khanacademy.org or taking a math math class at Rio Salado before beginning in the fall at NAU. Lots of people will be admitted into a university, but place into a math course below the first level required of the major that they want to pursue which limits what they can take and adds time (read $$) to the degree they want.

As for the "Starbucks degree" thought... Sure there are degrees that have clear paths to employment with good salaries (nursing, engineering, accountancy, computer science, among others), but I always raise an eyebrow at someone who blames the type of degree for their underemployment. I think that someone who is studying something they like, and are always thinking about how to apply their skills to a job that they've done some research on, will find work if they meet the right people, do an internship or related job while in school, etc. I'm not saying that everyone out there should get history degrees and expect high salaries, but the path from college to work is not linear for most people and ambition has lots to do with success.

I'm sure many students with forestry degrees are working at places like Starbucks and a handful have good work with the forest service or something similar because they hustled.
    It would be also smart to meet with someone who has a job that you think is interesting and ask them questions. Start by volunteering, or cold calling or emailing people who have positions you're curious about. See if they'll meet with you and ask them about their jobs. Maybe it you'll find other majors that would lead to work in the field like geography, and other natural sciences.

I love bike!
    I graduated from nau back in 99 with an accounting deg. I would go back in a heartbeat if the job and housing situation were better. Campus is beautiful and even nicer since i was there. If i had started riding mtb when i was there probably would still be working on my degree

mtbr member
    I went to NAU and really enjoyed my time there. As far as cycling goes (road and mountain) I can't think of a better place to live. We would ride Flag all summer and Sedona all winter

I graduated with a business degree but worked part time in the Forestry department as a gofer. If you are serious about a degree in Forestry NAU is the place to go - they are consistently ranked as one of the top programs in the country and have very close relationships with the Forest Service and Park Service. Use your age and maturity to your advantage - most undergrads are more concerned with partying than anything else so if you work hard and stand out I wouldn't imagine you'd have trouble finding employment.

Check into on campus housing options. I'm almost certain that NAU has dorms and apartments for grad students and 25 and older undergrads that are a little more tame - certainly preferable to living in one of the rat-hole off campus apartments.

mtbr member
    To those guys saying my age and "maturity" will help me out...LOL! That's how I know you never met me in person. I can act like a functional adult when I have to, but most of the time, I'm a perpetual man-boy. A man who just got bigger instead of also growing up.

Anyway, I've already got an AAS from a community college by where I'm from. I used to be a Respiratory Therapist, if you can believe that. Hospital work isn't for me, so now I'm thinking about the next step. Looking on the NAU website, I ought to be an automatic accept as a transfer student due to the credits and GPA that I had. Hopefully, that'll also get me out of doing the fluff work like taking Psychology and Public Speaking again. I went to a CC and lived at home at the time, so I missed out on the college experience. I'd like to change that also.

I'd stock shelves in Target or work in Old Navy, no problem. I'm not a glamorous man, but all the job boards for Flag like Indeed, Craigslist, etc are all really light. That's just my concern with that.

Another concern is keeping my game face on at a place like Flag. Unseasonable warm day in winter but I got class? Let's ride! Might be a disaster for somebody with low willpower.

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I'm not a glamorous man, .
    For a hillbilly you make do nicely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    For a hillbilly you make do nicely.
    Every now and then, a man will rise above his humble beginnings. That's me.

Besides, don't you have some clothes to beat on the rocks in the river or a goat sacrifice or something?

I am Bob
    To those guys saying my age and "maturity" will help me out...LOL! That's how I know you never met me in person. I can act like a functional adult when I have to, but most of the time, I'm a perpetual man-boy. A man who just got bigger instead of also growing up.

Anyway, I've already got an AAS from a community college by where I'm from. I used to be a Respiratory Therapist, if you can believe that. Hospital work isn't for me, so now I'm thinking about the next step. Looking on the NAU website, I ought to be an automatic accept as a transfer student due to the credits and GPA that I had. Hopefully, that'll also get me out of doing the fluff work like taking Psychology and Public Speaking again. I went to a CC and lived at home at the time, so I missed out on the college experience. I'd like to change that also.

I'd stock shelves in Target or work in Old Navy, no problem. I'm not a glamorous man, but all the job boards for Flag like Indeed, Craigslist, etc are all really light. That's just my concern with that.

Another concern is keeping my game face on at a place like Flag. Unseasonable warm day in winter but I got class? Let's ride! Might be a disaster for somebody with low willpower.

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.
    Look at the coursework from your AAS (if it was done in AZ) and check it against this course equivalency guide. It will tell you how the courses will transfer.
    AZTransfer

No mames guey
    There's a banner on the front of the new Chick-Fil-A that says they are hiring.

I graduated back in '95. I worked at Avis washing cars and at Snowbowl. There are jobs around, but you will be earning minimum wage.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Where are all the hippies and low-lifers you guys keep referring to?

I'm going to look for some on my way to work at NAU today.
    This. Lots of liberals. Not kidding.

Come to think of it, I went to NAU. Took a class while I was doing my undergrad.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There are a lot of natives around here, you might not like it. I would hate to think of what might happen if you start riding around here often and the Yazzies learn about your feelings toward native culture......it could be REALLY bad for you. Good luck!

bland
    If you go to NAU I might teach some of your classes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    There are a lot of natives around here, you might not like it. I would hate to think of what might happen if you start riding around here often and the Yazzies learn about your feelings toward native culture......it could be REALLY bad for you. Good luck!
    Exterminate them all.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Those guys are bad. Build good berms too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast