mtbr member
    Oct 2008

OT: ant invasion!!!!

i am at my wits end! i have cleaned and tried i don't know how many variations of 'natural' remedies to try and keep the ants out of our kitchen. and they keep coming back! within 30 mins of the latest 'remedy'. i'm about to go full on napalm!

is anyone else having this prob? usually in the spring and fall we have a problem if a crumb of food ends up on the ground or left in the sink, but this is not normal. any bug people here? any suggestions? i have to leave town tomorrow for a few days and i cant imagine what i'm going to come back to. i may clear the counters and just crop dust raid all over the place and clean it up when i get back.

any suggestions for keeping them away with something natural? i've tried white vinegar mixtures, peppermint oil mixtures, lemon.

thanks

no batteries required
    Equal parts of powdered sugar and baking soda. Ant's eat it, ant's die. Baby powder sprinkled liberally around their entry points works as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thank you. had not seen those two remedies. we have some baby powder but no powdered sugar.

74 & 29 pilot
    We use diatomaceous earth and it kills and gets rid them and scorpions quite well.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Pivotal figure
    This! We used it when I lived in South Carolina and it keeps them at bay pretty effectively. Had to remember to reapply after a heavy rain but that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    We use diatomaceous earth and it kills and gets rid them and scorpions quite well.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    are you putting it around the outside? they're coming in between the cabinets so i can only image what it looks like in there. i knew DE worked for scorpions, didn't know it worked on ants. when i get back monday it's going to look like a baby powder truck exploded around my house.

Meatbomb
    FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth!!!!

aka: Bucky Fikes
    I'm having good luck using Androl grains around the perimeter of my house and my planters. Same deal as you, lil' bastards come in through the cupboards in my kitchen. Not zillions but a few here, a few there, every time you turn around there's one...and another one...and.... Within about a week or two of Androl application outside, things seem to clear up for months. They take the grains into their colony where it's a holocaust and smokes all of them, supposedly. That's why it takes a little time. I reapply every couple months through summer.
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Diatomaceous earth --- crushed seashells ..... the kind you find at a feed store ... totally natural AND safe ..... do not use the kind that is used for pool filters... that is not good to breath ... I like my lungs... We had an infestation of cockroaches after a remodel and once we used diatomaceous earth no more roaches. You can put it just about anywhere and is a good barrier around the perimeter of your home.

IPA tester
    I'm picking up some food grade diatomaceous earth today for the house but I'm going to try it for my health too. I did some reading last night about the product and it seems worth trying out. Seems a lot of people use it everyday. Thanks for posting
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    I'm picking up some food grade diatomaceous earth today for the house but I'm going to try it for my health too. I did some reading last night about the product and it seems worth trying out. Seems a lot of people use it everyday. Thanks for posting
    Cinnamon on the counters and cabinets, diatomaceous earth around the baseboards of the walls. There is also an orange spray you can get from Whole Paycheck that will stop them in their tracks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    uh, oh--you mean there is an unsafe version? I bought a bag recently and have been using for pepper plants. I'll have to check the bag now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no batteries required
    Diatomaceous earth kills earthworms if that is any consequence to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madduck View Post
    i am at my wits end! i have cleaned and tried i don't know how many variations of 'natural' remedies to try and keep the ants out of our kitchen. and they keep coming back! within 30 mins of the latest 'remedy'. i'm about to go full on napalm!

is anyone else having this prob? usually in the spring and fall we have a problem if a crumb of food ends up on the ground or left in the sink, but this is not normal. any bug people here? any suggestions? i have to leave town tomorrow for a few days and i cant imagine what i'm going to come back to. i may clear the counters and just crop dust raid all over the place and clean it up when i get back.

any suggestions for keeping them away with something natural? i've tried white vinegar mixtures, peppermint oil mixtures, lemon.

thanks
    Just curious... how much grass do you have in your yard (if any) ? Once I got rid of my grass, my ant issues went away... btw, the ants are really bad this year in the phoenix area.. so I hear...

IPA tester
    So I tried the diatomaceous earth and it seems to be working OK. My only complaint is that it looks like heck. White stain on everything from the grass, walls, concrete,etc.

I can't even think of using it inside the house. How are you guys applying it?

BTW- I still have had them inside the house and I really think there's no stopping the little bastards
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

because GIANT

thanks
    borax powder everywhere along walls
    "Eating Spam, and Oreos, and drinking Thunderbird, baby" -Baby Huey/James Ramey

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Diatomaceous earth is some messy stuff. I prefer boric acid. Still a powder but not nearly as able to get a dusting over every surface in your house. And DE is not pleasant to have in your eyes or one your skin (it will get in both if you use it indoors).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Why does it have to be natural?

No Clue Crew

thanks
    Stop using "Natural" remedies The Mrs tries all kinds of "natural" crap like insecticides and soap. None of it works. Get some real poison.

The DE is supposed to be pretty good. We tried it around the outside for scorpions. Not sure it really made it better but it wasn't worse. Looks like sh|t with white powder everywhere. Will look like sh|it inside as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    OT: ant invasion!!!!-d4168d98-54d3-499b-9d11-07b8d1d78196_1000.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    So I tried the diatomaceous earth and it seems to be working OK. My only complaint is that it looks like heck. White stain on everything from the grass, walls, concrete,etc.

I can't even think of using it inside the house. How are you guys applying it?

BTW- I still have had them inside the house and I really think there's no stopping the little bastards
    i used one of these. dusted along the baseboards in the kitchen, between the dishwasher and cabinets. between the stove and cabinets. we had them everywhere. usually they invade twice year, spring and fall. this last invasion was not the normal time for them to come marching through.

when i first put the DE down i thought the same thing, this looks awful. so i 'lightly' swept the area along where the powder was put down. we have tile that butts up to the toe kick. this house was built on the cheap so the workmanship is crap so there is a small gap between the tile and toe kick. i tried to leave the powder in the gap and get the overfill off the floor. it's not to bad.

i'm going to guess that the critters could/may be coming in through cracks in the middle of the foundation. if that's the case then dusting around the house outside is probably futile.

it did look kinda crappy before i did the sweeping. but man those bastards were everywhere? we'd come into the kitchen in the morning and it looked like a stephen king movie.

the DE worked for me. forget the other 'natural' stuff as bOm said, it's a scam by the cinnamon and clove industries to buy their product!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've had great luck with Androl products (someone posted above). They sell these clear traps things. The first day seems like every ant within a mile makes the trip to it - day later, no ants.

No Clue Crew
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d4168d98-54d3-499b-9d11-07b8d1d78196_1000.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	1152932
    I use one of these outside:

https://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-D1-1-...powder+sprayer

It throws it out heavy but I like what you have above. That'd be great for indoors. You could almost aim it...

mtbr member
    I live out in new river. We have everything out here. DE only goes so far. I put DE around the chicken coop. I go to tractor supply and get the Red lake Earth DE. best price for safe DE but sometimes you have to go with chemicals.

for ants Bayer Maxforce complete and I spray the perimeter of the house with Cy-kick. It kills everything. no stain no smell.
    Last edited by azimiut; 09-03-2017 at 01:54 PM.