I am Walt

OT- Anniversary Getaway...Phoenix, Sedona or Napa...let's hear it, Gangi...

So we've got our 20th anniversary coming up in April. I was originally considering doing a Napa weekend, but am now thinking local to save some $$ as I won't need flights and a car. Looking at two nights somewhere. Interested in thoughts and opinions, particularly from our "man about town", dgangi...

Options include:
    - Royal Palms - Based on Doug's previous recommendation, sounds like a good romantic weekend could be had. I like the "eat at T. Cooke's, then get sh*tfaced and sleep in" option.
    - Boulders in Carefree - highly regarded, but way out there. Whaddya think?
    - What else in the Phoenix area?
    - Sedona - I've looked at some other threads, but what's good? What about L'Auberge? I probably won't be riding, but would hike/trail run with the missus.
    - Napa - If I do go, anybody recommend anything in particular? Yountville/St. Helena area?

Thanks,

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member

Geez What a coincidence

We have our 10th coming up in August. My roadbiking wife just purchased a mountain bike, so we were planning on some road and mountain bike riding in Napa. Here's some research we've found so far. We haven't decided between guided or self guiding, and we haven't decided between Napa or Sonoma:

Here's a comparison between Napa and Sonoma: Both Sonoma and Napa offer great experiences. The napa wineries are bigger, more elaborate, more impressive and more expensive. (in general) Sonoma is more personal, less developed, and tends to display less pretence (IMHO). Both have alot to offer, and both make fantastic wines

We're looking for 4 days and do a ride over the golden gate bridge and mountain bike on the 4th day.

Napa: http://www.napavalleybiketours.com/t...evacation.html
    Sonoma: http://www.thompsonhotels.com/index.php?page=gaige
    Just Ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Tucson?

Walt,

Since you live in Phoenix, maybe consider a resort in Tucson? That way, there's new restaurants, hikes, etc. to do that you wouldn't otherwise do, but it's still just a two hour drive away. JW Marriott Starr Pass, Loews Ventana Canyon, and The El Conquistador all come to mind, but I haven't been to any of them in a few years. They all should be pretty nice, though.

Elitest thrill junkie
    How 'bout Guadalupe? Great riding nearby, central location, etc....

I'm from the gold-country in california, and wineries are pretty big back there now, and the scenery is at least, if not more, beautifull than anything in napa or sonoma.

You can drive to any place in Phoenix in a few hours, do that the next weekend or something.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cholla
    Walt,

Since you live in Phoenix, maybe consider a resort in Tucson? That way, there's new restaurants, hikes, etc. to do that you wouldn't otherwise do, but it's still just a two hour drive away. JW Marriott Starr Pass, Loews Ventana Canyon, and The El Conquistador all come to mind, but I haven't been to any of them in a few years. They all should be pretty nice, though.
    We did the JW Marriott a few years ago for an anniversary, and I rode while she spa'd. Was very nice.
    Ride more; post less...

Not a Barry supporter.
    20 years? Damn your old.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    20 years? Damn your old.
    I married young...
    Ride more; post less...

Ouch, I am hot!
    Nascar and wineries.

I hear that Quartzite has been a rockhound's paradise since the 1960's.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Fragile - must be Italian
    Alright...twist my arm if you want an opinion out of me

First of all...a HUGE congrats is in order for the 20th anniversary!! That is outstanding, especially in this day and age of disposable marriages. My wife and I are only on our 15th...

Anyway, if money were no issue I'd be all over the Napa trip. Phoenix is nice and all...but I'm always of the opinion that "big" anniversaries should be something to remember...so go all out. My wife and I are both *huge* red wine lovers, and Napa has some of the best wineries around to visit (Clos Pegase is my favorite). The last time I went there we stayed at the Marriott and it was nice. There are a lot of great spots to ride out there...mostly roadie stuff. For a 20th anniversary, Napa is hard to beat.

Now if money is an issue and you want to save on airfare, then the Royal Palms is one the most charming resorts in the southwest (best in central AZ) with the most critically acclaimed restaurant restaurant in the state. What I really like about the Royal Palms is you can drive up in the afternoon and forget about the car until the next day because it's all right there and it's all first class: T. Cook's for dinner and drinks, Alvadora spa for the massage/facials/whatever, fabulous pool area for relaxing, golf, and an outstanding breakfast/brunch in the morning. Buck up a few extra $$ and get one of the larger rooms with a view of Camelback mountain and she'll be putty in your hands

Sedona and Tucson are nice and all...but nothing there compares with the Royal Palms IMHO.

There you have it. Given your choices, I'd pick Napa first and Royal Palms second.

Thx...Doug

my knees hurt
    My wife and I are celebrating out 10th in May and are heading out to Carmel By The Sea. I've never been but have been told its really nice. We are staying here: http://www.laplayahotel.com/ due to many reccomendations from friends and family....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you would achieve if you knew you could not fail.

http://endurancerehab.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    So we've got our 20th anniversary coming up in April. I was originally considering doing a Napa weekend, but am now thinking local to save some $$ as I won't need flights and a car. Looking at two nights somewhere. Interested in thoughts and opinions, particularly from our "man about town", dgangi...

Options include:
    - Royal Palms - Based on Doug's previous recommendation, sounds like a good romantic weekend could be had. I like the "eat at T. Cooke's, then get sh*tfaced and sleep in" option.
    - Boulders in Carefree - highly regarded, but way out there. Whaddya think?
    - What else in the Phoenix area?
    - Sedona - I've looked at some other threads, but what's good? What about L'Auberge? I probably won't be riding, but would hike/trail run with the missus.
    - Napa - If I do go, anybody recommend anything in particular? Yountville/St. Helena area?

Thanks,

Walt
    The Motel 6 off 1-17 is nice, and you're walking distance to one of the nicer restaurants in Phoenix: Waffle House.

Only "resort" I've been to is Camelback Inn. It was nice, but probably not on the level you're talking about. I've probably vote for Tucson myself.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

Sam
    I know it is not one of the options you suggested, but you might want to check out Paradise Point Resort in San Diego - Mission Bay. The beach bungalows are very nice.

Tons of bed and breakfast places in Napa and Sonoma. Some attached directly to smaller wineries.

Congrats,

Sam

JJK
    AZ MTBR

Boulders

Hey Walt,

Congrats on the upcoming 20 yrs. My wife & I celebrated our 25th last summer.
    We stayed at the Boulders in Carefree. Very nice casita's, great food too. If you stay
    in town that's my pick.

Peace,
    Johnny K

Ouch, I am hot!
    My Take: Theis Royal Palm sounds nice, but expensive. Wineries!!!!! My god people, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wineries. Refund!!!!! French fries!

I'd go to San Francisco. I also have been interested in New Mexico. I hear it is nice and somewhat different and such.

Wineries!!!!!
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member

napa is pricey

but.... we usually stay at the napa marriott, but try to time it with a local event like bike races, car races, etc. call the hotel direct (not the 800-reservation #) tell them you are with the event, usually get a room for 30-50% off. Napa is very hard to beat for the scenery, wineries, restaurants etc. 20yrs is a BIG deal. make it something more memorable than a drive to a local place is my opinion.
    Another totally off the path idea? since you are a mesa resident correct? There is a new startup airline that is flying from williams gateway airport (starting in a month) to bellingham, wa. rent a car, have a nice 45 min or so drive to whistler. called western airlines i believe? last i checked it was $59 or $79 each way. hike, ride, hit the glacier, excellent restaurants, shops etc.......

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    L'Auberge is really nice, but why not head out of town?
    -Santa Barbara
    -Go to LA then spend the weekend out on Catalina Island
    -Rocky Point? (never been there but I hear it can be fun)
    -Laguna Beach is cool too
    Last edited by cycljunkie; 02-28-2007 at 05:55 AM.
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Walt,
    Congrats on 20yrs!

My GF and I were in Napa 1 month ago. It's the low season, so some good deals can be had. The vineyards are barren though, so it's not very lush if you were wanting to see fields of greenery, etc.

Yountville and St Helen are 20min from Napa, so not much difference where you stay. The wineries are all up and down that road, so you end up driving from one end to the other either way. The winery area shuts down at 5pm when the wineries close, so you have to head to Napa for anything after 5pm. So I'd say just stay near Napa and day trip to St Helen, then return to Napa for the evening.

Wine tasting and tours are $20-30 per person. That can get pricey if you want to hit several in a day. Robert Mondavi was a great tour and tasting, highly recommend. Sterling in St Helena was so-so for wine, but had a gondola ride as the niche attraction. We stopped at Karen Hall and Schramburg but didn't taste or tour. We did sneak into the caves at Schramsburg, which were pretty cool. They make champagne for the White House. Also stopped at a hole-in-the-wall store for "olive oil tasting". What a hoot. They had all kinds of oils, jams, and jellies on display for tasting. Had some surprisingly tasty samples there.

We spent an afternoon at Copia, which is a food and arts thingy in Napa. Cool place with some cool expos, classes, exhibits, etc.

My GF has a knack for finding great deals. Check expedia for hotel prices then call them directly. We got a romantic B&B for half the advertised price... not sure how she pulls that stuff off but she does. Check out napavalley.com and bedandbreakfast.com.

Fly Southwest into Oakland, as Oakland is north of san fran and easier to get to/from Napa.

Whatever your choice, enjoy your anniversary!

AKA Sherrif Moe Gnarpiao
    I would stay at Royal Palms for the T. Cooks champaigne breakfast alone. That restaurant is incredible, LOVE IT! I'm hungry now....
    JRA

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    I would stay at Royal Palms for the T. Cooks champaigne breakfast alone. That restaurant is incredible, LOVE IT! I'm hungry now....
    That's actually what I decided on - booked it yesterday for two nights in April.

Thanks all!!
    Ride more; post less...