Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OT: AC Repair

mtbr member

OT: AC Repair

Hey all I am looking for recommedations for a trustworthy AC repair company in the south east valley. I am out of the country and of course one of the AC units goes out... the wife is not a happy camper. We had someone come out and charge hundreds of dollars to charge the system and then tell us the coil is bad. I think they will deduct the money already paid when the coil is replaced for FREAK'N $2600. This seems high so I figured I would check with you all. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    call Brian at Desert State HVAC 602 524 0150 Stand up guy...he's fast too...of course its the busy season

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Call Ryan at Blue Phoenix, 602-686-1328. He is a good guy. I have used him for 8 years or so and has never let me down.

dirt visionary
    I have a family member who works with wolff ac . I can get you a good deal if your still in need. Honest guy who will only fix what needs to be fixed nothing more or less unless asked.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Meatbomb
    East Coast Air 480-861-5793

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    do they install some sort of special filter to make your house smell like new jersey?

i just got my SRP bill for my first 2 weeks in AZ,,, $281.61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    do they install some sort of special filter to make your house smell like new jersey?

Man, how'd you get off so cheaply?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Man, how'd you get off so cheaply?
    the first week i didnt have a fridge, tv, or washer/dryer. the billing period was 14th-28th... im sure july will suck

skilldest©

My last bill...for my house for one month...and that was before the really hot stuff...

06/21/2011 SRP DES:SUREPAY -$587.01
    05/18/2011 SRP DES:SUREPAY -$434.13

mtbr member
    the first week i didnt have a fridge, tv, or washer/dryer. the billing period was 14th-28th... im sure july will suck
    That's friggin nuts. Was there a service charge to turn it on? We pay $160 a month year round, and I work from home.

How big is your house, and what do you keep the AC at?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    That's friggin nuts. Was there a service charge to turn it on? We pay $160 a month year round, and I work from home.

How big is your house, and what do you keep the AC at?
    there might have been a turn-on fee,, although the final number sure made me lose my arousal. yep $30.53 service establishment fee. $7 monthly service charge, $223.24 usage fee (143kwh average per day,, 2000 total for the period),, $4.03 mesa tax and $16.81 state & county tax.

3600' with 10-12 foot ceilings and a pool. we have 2 units,, one for each half of the house. i keep it at 77-78 during the day with the ceiling fans on. it says "summer pricing season ends with this bill. your july bill will reflect summer peak pricing" does that mean the rate will be higher or lower? it also says 'you used in excess of 700kwh this month. most customers that use this much electricity will save money on our time of use or EZ-3 price plans. please call to switch.

perhaps that is sound advice. are rates lower during the day because most people are away at work and not cranking their units?

i didnt actually move in until the 16th,, so perhaps they had contractors in here with a lot of power tools cleaning last minute stuff and sucking a lot of power.

skilldest©

srp plans...

http://www.srpnet.com/prices/home/Ch...PricePlan.aspx

because this is my first year in the house I am going to look into these...

My other ride is your mom
    rates are higher during peak demand time....in summer, that means that from 1pm to 8pm on weekdays (July 1 - Aug 31st), it is more expensive

So....don't run laundry during those times, set your thermo to be a bit warmer during those hours...and run your pool at night or outside of those hours.

mtbr member
    there might have been a turn-on fee,, although the final number sure made me lose my arousal. yep $30.53 service establishment fee. $7 monthly service charge, $223.24 usage fee (143kwh average per day,, 2000 total for the period),, $4.03 mesa tax and $16.81 state & county tax.

3600' with 10-12 foot ceilings and a pool. we have 2 units,, one for each half of the house. i keep it at 77-78 during the day with the ceiling fans on. it says "summer pricing season ends with this bill. your july bill will reflect summer peak pricing" does that mean the rate will be higher or lower? it also says 'you used in excess of 700kwh this month. most customers that use this much electricity will save money on our time of use or EZ-3 price plans. please call to switch.

perhaps that is sound advice. are rates lower during the day because most people are away at work and not cranking their units?
    I'm completely clueless. The SO take care of all that stuff. I just write her a check each month. Our house is significantly smaller: 1900. We have APS, and do flex account. The base the monthly bill on last year's average use. If you overpay, your last bill is smaller. If you underpay, it's higher. If the average increases or decreases, the bill is adjusted accordingly.

But phuck, if you're paying $500 a month....

skilldest©
    I'm completely clueless. The SO take care of all that stuff. I just write her a check each month. Our house is significantly smaller: 1900. We have APS, and do flex account. The base the monthly bill on last year's average use. If you overpay, your last bill is smaller. If you underpay, it's higher. If the average increases or decreases, the bill is adjusted accordingly.

But phuck, if you're paying $500 a month....
    Yea I was shocked! First summer in this house - big with lots of windows and the sun cooks it like a greenhouse in the afternoon. My wife joking said "lets move". There is some that can be done to help though. Need to put up screens, curtains, control the thermostat (kids), change the pool pump time on/off (has 2 pumps...strange). Forclosed house and we have worked on stuff besides electricity related stuff. Probably foreclosed on prior owners because they could not afford the elec bill. Anyway do some basic stuff and also check out options SRP has for lowering usage / rates.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    rates are higher during peak demand time....in summer, that means that from 1pm to 8pm on weekdays (July 1 - Aug 31st), it is more expensive

So....don't run laundry during those times, set your thermo to be a bit warmer during those hours...and run your pool at night or outside of those hours.
    Also I am looking into an electronic thermostat to help with the timing thing. One with an electric shock/tazer feature when the kids/wife touches it would be great.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    well $500 is only going to be during 100+ weather when the A/C is on almost straight thru... our pool is small but the guy said i still hafta run the filter and the robot 6 hours a day minimum... during winter when i wont be swimming at all, can i just run the filter 1 hour a day and slam the chlorine level up to uninhabitable levels?

skilldest©
    well $500 is only going to be during 100+ weather when the A/C is on almost straight thru... our pool is small but the guy said i still hafta run the filter and the robot 6 hours a day minimum... during winter when i wont be swimming at all, can i just run the filter 1 hour a day and slam the chlorine level up to uninhabitable levels?
    pools don't need much chlorine in the winter - sun/heat/sunscreen/people/algea is what eats up the chlorine...winter does not have those things as much as summer...too much chlorine can eat away at metal pool parts I have been told (like the motor?). I don't know much about circulation needs.

My other ride is your mom
    I run my pool 2 hrs a day, in the summer. It gets light use and I keep chlorine levels a bit on the low side because I don't have money these days....the water is clear and not green.......YMMV.

mtbr member
    I just called my dad who owned an AC repair business here in AZ for 30 years. He said $2600 was way high. He said there's two coils, one on the inside and one on the outside (if you have an outside ground unit). His guesstimate was around $1500-1600 for the outside and a tad less for the inside. Hope this helps some.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    I just called my dad who owned an AC repair business here in AZ for 30 years. He said $2600 was way high. He said there's two coils, one on the inside and one on the outside (if you have an outside ground unit). His guesstimate was around $1500-1600 for the outside and a tad less for the inside. Hope this helps some.
    I just replaced one of the outside units, 3.5 ton 13 SER, about a month ago (coil and fan) and cost me about that. Price included labor and coolant. Other quotes were in the mid $2k. The new unit is not highly efficient and not top of the line brand but new, quite, and will do the trick for now. I can always bedazzel it with pink diamonds and unicorn dust later. I did not replace the air-handler in the attic where the other coil is located.

If just the outside coil is toast then you have the option to have the coil replaced or the coil+fan and unit replaced. If you go with just replacing the coil I was quoted $800-$1,200 ish depending on size and brand an other stuff. For another couple hundred I chose to get the coil + fan (new everything outside). Further... it is okay to have a different brand outside (coil+fan unit) then the inside piece in the attic (known as the air-handler and has the inside coil and fan that circulates the air in the house). Different HVAC people said different things...kinda strange. I mixed brands and it is working fine.

Anyway, if I recall correctly, the only things that have to be the same between the inside unit (called air handler) and outside unit (called A/C unit) is the capacity measured in tons and the coolant type. I shopped around until I felt comfortable buying what they guy was saying. Again, I got a few different answers but I was bargain shopping too!

Oh, and if the person only messes around with the outside unit and does not go into the attic and check the air handler / coil then that is a problem. Coolant pressure needs to be checked there too. Another option was to go with a used unit but I could not find one and SO was getting anxious as it was getting hotter each day.

Now just for fun...If the compressor is failing but not dead you could hook up a "hard start" capacitor to the existing loop to give it that extra juice. Not ideal but may be able to gimp for a few months more. If compressor is shot this is not an option...and...really probably not recommeded. It was for a rep point.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    it also says 'you used in excess of 700kwh this month. most customers that use this much electricity will save money on our time of use or EZ-3 price plans. please call to switch.
    I have the EZ3 plan myself - May-June 15 bill for me was 261 (1800 sq feet, also a seperate AC on the garage on 25% of the period) - I've also been home since May 27th (and stuck in the house) so it was kept cooler during the day for post-op comfort.

Basically - at 2:00 - the thermostat kicks to 75 to cool the house as much as possible (since the EZ3 "high" period is from 3-6) and it will tend to creep up to 83-85 during that (poor insulation, ancient leaky windows)

Programmable thermostats are the best! (I use a Proliphix NT100e - so I have a LOT of control over the temperature)

Right now - I am using about 120kwh a day.

One other thing that helped get the bill down was putting up thermal curtains. We also do not have a pool.
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post

Only people I call. Can't remember the guys name but he is a relative of the lady across the street. Great guy, honest. Been out to our place two or three times and he has always just fixed what needed fixed and not upsold us anything. A few years back our A/C wouldn't turn on and he traced it back to a corroded/faulty thermostat wire. He swapped it with another wire in the bundle that was not being used. That was that

mtbr member
    Great response with very useful information. Now I can try to get this fix with some knowledge. Thanks again

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    we JUST got power back on a few minutes ago,, it was 86 in the house. i was sleeping on the cooler tile floor in the kitchen, and getting up every half hour to put some water on the bunnies' ears to help keep them cool. 80+ for European breeds of rabbits can cause heat stroke.

hey, but at least i saved $15 off my next SRP bill.

i hafta say, i really love the AZ highway system, but 100 totally piss drunk Chicago drivers could navigate a 4-way highway intersection with the stoplights out better than the asshats i encountered this afternoon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast