Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 209
  1. #1
    r99
    r99 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    109

    Opinion: the trails in Phoenix are terrible for aggressive riders.

    I moved to Tempe for job reasons last August and I think the trails in Phoenix suck.

    I am an aggressive trail rider and primarily ride a six inch bike. I do not mind pedaling as long as it pays off with some fun downhill. I have ridden the majority of the trails on Somo, as well as NRA papago and the McDowell’s.

    The good:
    National is cool trail, especially for climbing. National is one of the coolest climbing trails I have ever ridden. National also has its sections that are fun to descend, but they are short and good corners are few and far between.

    NRA has fun jumps, but I like trail riding.

    The trails in northern AZ are fantastic and not very far away. This is by far the best part about Arizona.


    The Bad:
    The downhill on Somo is terrible. I have completely stopped riding DH in Phoenix.

    All of Somo has a total of about five good corners. Good corners that you can hold speed through are the best part of riding DH and Somo has the fewest good corners of anywhere I have ridden. Somo has absolutely no flow.

    I love rocky technical steep trails, but I absolutely hate rocky technical FLAT trails. For a technical trail to be fun it has to be relatively steep. Holbert, Geronimo etc are flat. Yes you can carry some speed on these trails, but it is more work than my day job and takes ALL the fun out of it.


    Overall:
    Phoenix is a better place to ride than a lot of places, especially if you like pedaling. I am sure it beats out the Midwest, but for aggressive riders it is no mecca. As far as riding goes, I would rather live in any other major metro area in the western U.S than live here.

    See you out on the trails. I will be the hiker with a mountain bike t-shirt on.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BinaryBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    88

    Opinion: the trails in Phoenix are terrible for aggressive riders.

    I'm sure some people are going to explode in defense, but it is an opinion after all. And though I hate to bag on the place I have to call home for now, I think you're pretty much spot on with your description. Although I do love jumping at NRA. Some act like SOMO is a downhill Mecca, and it's just really not.

    But I'd say it has more to do with what kind of trails you like rather than how aggressive you ride.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tysonnemb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    880
    You should try the White Tanks. Climb Mesquite, keep going and climbing up Goat Camp, than descend Goat Camp back to the bottom. It's a bit more challenging IMO, but it's a bit of a ride from Tempe.

    Also, Mingus Mountain is fun. It's a bit over 2 hours away, but has a few cool downhill trails. I would incorporate other rides that day, along with the shuttle runs down Mingus, as the runs only take 15 minutes, but are fun.

    Where did you move from? I came from CT and love these trails in comparison.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AzKennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    147
    You hate it that much that you prefer to hike? Wow. Where did you move here from?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,633
    we have what yer looking for. I agree on cornering, it's the best part about riding!

  6. #6
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,954
    Nobody likes having to follow slow people down Geronimo.







    So now "aggressive riding" means "no rocks" and "no technical".








    How much do you weigh?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  7. #7
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,954
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post

    Also, Mingus Mountain is fun. It's a bit over 2 hours away, but has a few cool downhill trails. I would incorporate other rides that day, along with the shuttle runs down Mingus, as the runs only take 15 minutes, but are fun.
    Well don't send him down 28 street or god help us, the east side/north bowl! Those are like south mountain! 28 has the top flat section with lots of pedaling (a few jumps and launches here and there), then the middle full-on-holbert-like section, then the last third is flowy-er switchbacks without any big jumps/launches.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  8. #8
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,954
    I mean, 24th street, sure, that's long, it beats you up, it has the small climb, not super steep, it's meant to be like that, and it's a special challenge. And then national, well duh, that's not a DH trail. Great for freeride/AM action and yes you can take a DH bike down it to cap off the day, but it's not a DH trail, not even considering the uphill traffic.

    But, if you can't hold speed on geronimo and experience the flow, airing over obstacles and stairs, etc, you got problems and they ain't caused by the trail.

    BTW, go try Goat Camp downhill, not very much uphill at all, mostly all down.

    There are a lot of reasons I'd go to flagstaff in the summer, but because the "terrain sucks" in phoenix wasn't one of them. It's different, because it's in the desert and you might fall into a cactus, but that's what makes it phoenix. Few places have the riding options within close proximity, and while there are no trails like "wasabi", the terrain of trails like geronimo and holbert make up for this, with many natural launches and drops.

    Is it because you are riding an AM bike down holbert?
    Is it because you need to work on your skills?
    Is it because you've never experienced rocks this big before?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10
    ...
    How Lukes parents were really killed:
    http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/...rs_Parody.html

  10. #10
    r99
    r99 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by AzKennedy View Post
    You hate it that much that you prefer to hike? Wow. Where did you move here from?
    Yes, I absolutely prefer to hike. I came from California. I have done a lot of riding in the bay area.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Nobody likes having to follow slow people down Geronimo.


    So now "aggressive riding" means "no rocks" and "no technical".

    How much do you weigh?
    Fair point. I probably am slow on Geronimo. I weigh 150.


    I specifically said i prefer STEEP rocky technical trails.

  11. #11
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,954
    Quote Originally Posted by r99 View Post
    Yes I absolutely prefer to hike. I came from California. I have done a lot of riding in the bay area.



    Fair point. I probably am slow on Geronimo. I weigh 150.


    I specifically said i prefer STEEP rocky technical trails.
    Then you should be able to pedal fairly efficiently I'd imagine. Geronimo and Holbert really are the most fun on a DH bike, even though there's the small climb on both. Any reasonably fit rider can ride up those two short climbs, the one on geronimo being a little harder, but it makes up for that by being steeper when it is going and being a little longer trail anyways. What I wouldn't advise is taking a DH bike "down" national, because like you know, except for the "sections", there is no real "down", it's just a fun technical ride, especially with a 6"ish bike, decent tires, and a gravity dropper.

    The other thing about those trails in general, they do kind of separate the suspension that works from the stuff that doesn't. I've seen so many bikes chewed up and spit out over the years (sometimes my own) on those trails. A poor suspension system, excessive compression damping, hydrolocking caused by overly-simple/crude damping systems can really make it a bear to enjoy those trails. Add brakes that are just not adequate and it's fighting the bike every time down, not fun. On the other hand, a wonderful suspension system where you can land on the frickin stairs when you mess up the launch and just keep going because it rides like a pillow, well, that just brings a smile to your face as you keep going mach 9 down geronimo.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  12. #12
    r99
    r99 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I mean, 24th street, sure, that's long, it beats you up, it has the small climb, not super steep, it's meant to be like that, and it's a special challenge. And then national, well duh, that's not a DH trail. Great for freeride/AM action and yes you can take a DH bike down it to cap off the day, but it's not a DH trail, not even considering the uphill traffic.

    But, if you can't hold speed on geronimo and experience the flow, airing over obstacles and stairs, etc, you got problems and they ain't caused by the trail.

    BTW, go try Goat Camp downhill, not very much uphill at all, mostly all down.

    There are a lot of reasons I'd go to flagstaff in the summer, but because the "terrain sucks" in phoenix wasn't one of them. It's different, because it's in the desert and you might fall into a cactus, but that's what makes it phoenix. Few places have the riding options within close proximity, and while there are no trails like "wasabi", the terrain of trails like geronimo and holbert make up for this, with many natural launches and drops.

    Is it because you are riding an AM bike down holbert?
    Is it because you need to work on your skills?
    Is it because you've never experienced rocks this big before?
    I agree. 24th street is the best legal DH on the mountain.

    I will give goat camp a try.

    I go to flag because the trails are awesome there. That does not change my opinion that the trails suck in Phoenix.

    My skills on south mountain certainly need work, but that is not going to happen any time soon.

    I have ridden trails that are rockier than the stuff on somo and certainly more technical. So that is not the issue.

    My whole point is that the DH in Phoenix is just not very fun. For a trail to be fun for me it needs corners, flow or steep tech. Phoenix strikes out on all three counts.

  13. #13
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,954
    What kind of bike and what kind of shocks in particular are you riding?

    And no, I was just kidding when I mentioned Goat Camp downhill, it's extremely rocky. It can be done, but it's a full armor jagged-rock affair. You won't get going as fast as on Geronimo or National or even Holbert for the most part. It's definitely up a notch in terms of technical, and there ARE a few steep chutes, but it's not like trails in flagstaff at all.

    I saw that you are riding a 6" bike, and while there are plenty of people that do ride those bikes down 24th and Geronimo, most of the shuttle guys are on full-on DH bikes. They train on SoMo, ride Sunrise and Flagstaff, occasionally Mingus and the Pinals, and then go out of state at times for other stuff. It really depends on where you are riding whether it'll be "all downhill" or not, whether it will be "very technical" or not. It often depends on the exact trail. Have you been riding Private Reserve in Flagstaff? That's kind of the definition of steep rocky DH trail (with a nice 75 foot super-steep roller at the bottom to cap it off). With a 6" bike you have to realize that some of these things will not be as much fun, but others will be more fun. Same thing if you are riding an 8 or 9" DH bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  14. #14
    r99
    r99 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post

    Also, Mingus Mountain is fun. It's a bit over 2 hours away, but has a few cool downhill trails. I would incorporate other rides that day, along with the shuttle runs down Mingus, as the runs only take 15 minutes, but are fun.
    I have ridden mingus. I had a great time. If any of the Prescott locals are reading this I bet they know who I am.

  15. #15
    r99
    r99 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What kind of bike and what kind of shocks in particular are you riding?
    I mostly ride a specialized Enduro with a Lyrik on it, even in Flag.

    I have also ridden the somo trails on a proper DH bike.

    If you enjoy the DH in Phoenix then good for you. I am jealous.

  16. #16
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,954
    Quote Originally Posted by r99 View Post
    I have ridden mingus. I had a great time. If any of the Prescott locals are reading this I bet they know who I am.
    Ok, but I gotta ask, Trail 28 is one of the primary mingus trails, because it kind of has "everything", including the holbert-style super-chunk for about a third of the way. Do you like riding this? Is it the fact that it's not like that the whole way down?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  17. #17
    r99
    r99 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Have you been riding Private Reserve in Flagstaff? That's kind of the definition of steep rocky DH trail (with a nice 75 foot super-steep roller at the bottom to cap it off). With a 6" bike you have to realize that some of these things will not be as much fun, but others will be more fun. Same thing if you are riding an 8 or 9" DH bike.
    I prefer not to name unsanctioned trails on the internet, even if they may be legal in the near future.

    Yes I have ridden it and yes I ride it on my six inch. The ending is great. It makes me happy.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,951
    Sounds like I need to take you out for a little schooling. My PMP "Hour of Power" will either garner me someone to ride with, who lives in Phoenix, or have you selling your bike and taking your self back out West. I don't care which.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cstem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,341

    Opinion: the trails in Phoenix are terrible for aggressive riders.

    You might enjoy DH more if you were on a DH bike. And having rode in Northern California, I know that you still have to drive some to get some great DH trail, unless you live in the state of Jefferson I am told.


    Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

    "Uppercase with a space"

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    230
    Just curious, what steep rocky technical trails were you riding in the bay area?
    Because, one is never enough.

  21. #21
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,986
    I, too, was curious what trails he rode in the Bay Area that are steeper/rockier/more technical than what we have here.

    That said, hey, fair enough. If you don't like the DH here. Yes, it's rocky, the corners are flat and sometimes you have to pedal. If you can't do it/don't have the skills or fitness/just don't like it, cool. Enjoy your hiking.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhaseSpace168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    172
    Doesn't Geronimo drop like 1900 vertical feet in less than 2 mi?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,450
    Yet another California infiltrator complaining that it isn't as good as "back home." Color me surprised....

    If Phoenix is the only place you've ever lived, you have no idea how good you have it. I'm staying with my mom in St. Louis until I start school this fall back in AZ. For me, if I want to ride MTB, I have to drive no less than 40 miles to get to the trails. That's for the close spot. Most of the trails here are cross country trails you could almost attack with a beach cruiser. It doesn't really matter though, since the trails are rarely dry enough to ride, because it won't quit raining. We're eight inches up on normal year to date rain right now.

    Or, in Phoenix, I could drive eight miles and be at the PMP trailhead. SOMO was about 25 from where I lived, and the McDowells, Sonoran, Pima/Dynamite, BCT, etc were within that 25 mile ring. Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, and Williams were all within easy day trip distance, along with the 32 million acres of public lands located in Arizona where you can fish, camp, hike, shoot, or do whatever else you want.

    Lettuce be cereal, Arizona is one of the most awesome state in the union for an outdoorsman. If OP doesn't like it, please take I-10 westward until you see water.

  24. #24
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,954
    Yeah, big deal in NorCal is Downieville, 5K vert.

    Mingus is 4.5K, Pinals are 4.5K, Pinals about 4k, Mt Graham rises up about 6K above the surrounding landscape. Bill Williams is like 2.4K. Geronimo and Holbert aren't all that much vertical, but Goat Camp is a little more. I'm leaving out lots here, but the point is there's big vertical if you want it.

    Not all of these have the same quality as Nor Cal due to less people riding them, but some of them are damn good, and this is just a small slice. I've ridden all over NorCal and the things that we do not have are longer smoother descents and just generally more vertical with smoother trails. What AZ does not lack is "aggressive" riding. You can rack up 5+K easily of climbing in Prescott, ride super rocky volcanic fields near Williams, ride the famous super-chunk of South Mountain, which some people ride quite fast, make your way a little slower down Goat Camp, exhaust yourself on super-long shuttle runs in the Pinals or the Cottonwood side of Mingus, I'm not sure how much more "aggressive" it can get. I tend to just "flow" by how fast one can go and how they can keep their speed up. That's how I know Geronimo has good flow. It's a pretty high speed trail.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  25. #25
    SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Reputation: longhairmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Lettuce be cereal
    not necescelery

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 29er riders opinion on 650B
    By NEPMTBA in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 12-27-2011, 08:55 PM
  2. Aggressive Riders as Builders = less flack?
    By thefriar in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-30-2011, 08:11 AM
  3. Looking for Aggressive Cross-Country Riders for Video
    By splice35mm in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 12:16 AM
  4. Looking for aggressive cross-country riders for video shoot.
    By splice35mm in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 07:32 PM
  5. Opinion From Current Mojo SL riders/racers
    By tefloncat in forum Ibis
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •