My other ride is your mom

Olfactory Hues of Summer

Continuing on a course of deliberate socialization, my rides this past weekend took me into the realm of folks with busy schedules.  In a twist of fate, I found a slower pace of life from my harried efforts to pack in the miles.

Troy's birthday gift to Dara in the form of a new Pivot 5.7 in pink certainly caught my eye....but so did the virgin brake levers sans damage....

Waiting for folks to arrive, I was left admiring the only Iris to bless this state...the Rocky Mountain Iris....

Peering within, I found a world of purple swirls, yellow clouds and white hot stars.....

Bikes just randomly leaned against any old stump, appeared to be posing if on cue along the AZ Trail.....

The stump itself, held an interesting story told in a universal expression of wrinkles and wear......

Surrounding the stump, the forest floor was growing up all around us, pushing a precocious explosion of chlorophyll......

Not to be outdone, the bracken offered up it's own version of forest floor carpet....soon to be waist high.

Scorched first by lava, then by fire and lastly by the relentless pace of Dara; my ride through the White Horse Hills and Walker Crater was a healthy mix of climbs, some HAB and drops....

In isolated areas of the shaded forest floor; The Spotted Coral Root Orchid feeds on fungus which in turn feeds on the decaying mass of conifer and aspen.

Back into the sun exposed clearings of a fire long past, a lone climber climbs the sinuous singletrack to a saddle above.

Returning to camp....Troy encourages me to climb a tree....this particular Limber Pine appeared as a ladder from below and became in my mind a "Tree of Life"....each step higher on it's solid branches returned me to my youth....

Retiring to my bivy to make dinner, I stared up at the eye in the sky which would watch over me throughout the night......

The next day dawned clear and cool; all the more reason to ride...yet our thoughts and conversations turned to the turns made last season, and the turns to make next season....how quickly we regress into snow mode.....

All around us, a buzzing and swirling mass of life made it's way through the forest; levels of activity which brought us out of our winter mindset and brought us to the present:  Summer.

Summer fields appeared to push back the trees; exploding in expressions of scents and colors which overwhelmed the eyes....

Stops were made to lube noisy chains...the moon dust of early summer made a mockery of even the most attentively maintained drivetrain.

During rests, even a carelessly tossed glove offered up a shot worthy of reprint....

Memories of conversation, sights, scents and sound will dominate the coming days until we may all do it over again.  As long as the summer may seem....it's not nearly long enough.....

Last edited by Maadjurguer; 06-13-2011 at 08:08 AM.

drink coffee, ride.
    true to form, the prose perfectly accentuates the pixels

Kathleen in AZ
    it was gorgeous up Flag way this weekend!

mtbr member
    wow...i love your pictures and the way you express your adventures. Keep it up, great work!

skilldestİ
    Time elapse video of the bracken fern growth would be wayyyy cool!

It's a slugfest!
    Great post Maad. You've mastered the perfect amount of words per picture. This is the type of riding that I yearn for, yet find elusive due to so many reasons that seem to be beyond my control right now...

Very nice.

-SS
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

aka Diesel
    Well that ain't no honey bee, but the combination of your grip and the yellow jacket, made me think of bees and honeycomb, which made me pause and smile.

But that picture of the tree branches, from below? Made my heart stop and speed up at the same time. Well done, as always.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Ridin' Dirty
    Great pictures and write up!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Looking forward to the next one.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

shred my gnar
    must be some good acid

Eroding into the trail

Cool pics and prose!
    Interesting Orchid, never seen one of that variety.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones View Post

Cool pics and prose!
    Interesting Orchid, never seen one of that variety.
    Surprised me too:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=COMA25

mtbr member
    Nicely done Maad! As always. Never made it out your way, but had a great ride just the same. The trees were sexin' all over the place on Sunday. you're loops look like some places I need to explore.

BTW, You always seem to have a suggestion that speaks to me.....be it "let roll to the P&T" or "climb a tree (and sit on a branch for a while)".

*maybe* I'll listen to the "sleep on the ground".....but I'm still tied to the confort of my Subie.

Thanks for the Stoke!
    b