Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    Fat Boy about to fail.
    Did Mark push you?

Go John can be fun. The weather was awesome today. Will get my riding in tomorrow. Hopefully we fare as well as you two.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Did Mark push you?

Go John can be fun. The weather was awesome today. Will get my riding in tomorrow. Hopefully we fare as well as you two.
    Not this time. I did snapped a seat rail. Mark claimed he was skinny amd swapped saddles with me. I used an Allen wrench and zip ties to hold it together. Mark said it worked OK. Would have sucked otherwise. As we were half way up the climb on the North side at the time.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Looks fun. I hiked there like 12 years ago, I remember it being cool.

Road MMP long loop today, plenty of people out there for the Pivot demo. But once we split off on to long from comp, it was pretty clear.
    Good prep for the MBAA race there next weekend. Anyone else doing it?

Shovel Ready
    I hope so.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Anybody going out today?

SCRUBDUNKER
    I don't know how you appeared above me, but if you guys are rolling out at 4:30, I'll be there.

mtbr member
    Just a route question... see above a track riding over Fat Man's Pass. If you don't mind me asking, which way do you guys ride it (S to N or N to S)? I tried to find a better way last week and it was kind of heinous coming from the north (hike-a-bike at the top). Checked it out earlier this week from the south side and there's a pretty hairy little rocky hill thing you have to clear to come at it going south to north. Do you just do some HAB and ride when you can or is there a better/more rideable way to go? Thx!

Shovel Ready
    South to North 99% of the time. HAB up the hill as I've never seen anyone climb it. Maybe Skinny-Tire on his SS. But I'm not sure he gets that high up on the mountain.

Shovel Ready
    Closer to 3:45 for me.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey View Post
    Just a route question... see above a track riding over Fat Man's Pass. If you don't mind me asking, which way do you guys ride it (S to N or N to S)? I tried to find a better way last week and it was kind of heinous coming from the north (hike-a-bike at the top). Checked it out earlier this week from the south side and there's a pretty hairy little rocky hill thing you have to clear to come at it going south to north. Do you just do some HAB and ride when you can or is there a better/more rideable way to go? Thx!
    South to North is HAB at the very top, well at least for me, which isn't syaing much. It is climable from the saddle to the bottom of the very top section which is and shall remain HAB for me for a very long time. I have ridden N to S just not all on one non-stop leg. It gets really gnarly and loose in a couple of places. I suppose there may be a small section or two that requires HAB but I don't recall specifically where, but seems to me it was all cleanable.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I think there's a better way than what I did, maybe just east of where I went (more in the actual "pass"). I went virtually to the top of that peak over there, then west and up a short hill on the ridge where the trail just ended in a big dropoff, then backtracked, and down a loose trail that took me down and over the little hill on the south side that I'm guessing is a bit of a grunt to get going the other way. It's always kind of fun exploring odd little side tracks over there.

This is what I did:

Just noticed that airplane in the upper right area...

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I have never been on that portion of the trail that you backtracked. We usually ride the part of the trail that is not highlighted by your track.

Exploring out there is fun. The ridgeline has lots of stuff off it too, but some of it, at least, likely not for the timid.

Shovel Ready
    Good ride tonight minus the bike issue. Longest climb out of the gate for me tonight.

Ride data

SCRUBDUNKER
    That was fun. Good meeting up with Andy (SiO2).

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 6 miles near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

Ben and I rode a good little Porcupine>VOAZ>Lower Cheese>some crap back near Squaw Peak>8 loop and we met a new friend.

mtbr member
    Hella good ride, really like that section back on 304 rolling back towards 100. So happy with the new stem and seat adjustment. Basically no back pain today.

Went from a 50mm 0degree DH stem to a 100mm 8degree, and moved the seat further over the crank.
    Feel more in control too.

_____
    Jul 2007

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    That was fun. Good meeting up with Andy (SiO2).

Ben and I rode a good little Porcupine>VOAZ>Lower Cheese>some crap back near Squaw Peak>8 loop and we met a new friend.
    It was good meeting you guys too. I'll try to block Tuesday evenings off from from the crazy family schedule and meet up again over the next few weeks. Spring is the best time for late afternoon rides. Cool weather and long days.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey View Post
    Thanks for the info. I think there's a better way than what I did, maybe just east of where I went (more in the actual "pass"). I went virtually to the top of that peak over there, then west and up a short hill on the ridge where the trail just ended in a big dropoff, then backtracked, and down a loose trail that took me down and over the little hill on the south side that I'm guessing is a bit of a grunt to get going the other way. It's always kind of fun exploring odd little side tracks over there.

This is what I did:
    Just noticed that airplane in the upper right area...
    If you go east as an out and back from the top of the pass you get into the real fun.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Or, East and then down North on several differnt trails or South on the fall line above the Porcupine Rim mine.

SCRUBDUNKER
    I borrowed a light from a friend and went night riding today. Man, I gotta get some lights.

mtbr member
    Was pretty dead out there today, only saw 2 other bikers on the trail, must have just missed Barry when we rolled out. Not many hikers either.
    Bike Ride Profile | 7 miles near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

Bloodied but Unbowed
    You guys left a few minutes before me and took T100, I took Porcupine caught up to you near the juncture at the wash before the ascent up Porc.

I saw several cyclists and hikers actually. Porcupine->1A via the red hill->VOAZ->Irregular->1A->T100 and back.

GPS crapped out before the good stuff started so I dunno...a few miles and a bunch of climbing in about 1.5 hrs on a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Yea I thought I saw you as we road out.
    Actually we hit porcupine, and then up 100 to the saddle. Hadn't done that section back in off 1A to the south, pretty cool up there.

First day in a while to break out the long sleeve.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Okay, I wondered if that was you up on the saddle below Fat Man's or if it was you down below. There were three groups of two riders, one group was dressed similarly to you two hence my confusion. I figured you would be riding faster than the two I caught up with.

I meant to bundle up but the shortsleaved tee was fine. Just got a bit chilly from the evaporating prespiration once the sun started to go away.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Okay, I wondered if that was you up on the saddle below Fat Man's or if it was you down below. There were three groups of two riders, one group was dressed similarly to you two hence my confusion. I figured you would be riding faster than the two I caught up with.

I meant to bundle up but the shortsleaved tee was fine. Just got a bit chilly from the evaporating prespiration once the sun started to go away.
    Yeah, we did Porcupine over to Conversation Point to Chutes to 220 to Mine Climb (thanks for showing me that, guys) and then back down around to the Switchbacks off 220 and to Zipper and then back.

I was in the same spot you were - we stopped to session that little gap after the Mine Climb and I took my Camelbak off and started getting chilly.

mtbr member
    Funny how all my sessioning "attempts" add up to almost .7 of a mile.

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast