Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Old Fashioned MTB Race

8K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  SunnyNAZ 
#1 ·
Just signed up. Men's Sport again. Anybody else going to do it?

#13 · (Edited)
I've ridden part of this course, and from the looks of the Flagstaff Trails map my observations are:

1) trail (fire road) 164B. The trail head turn-off from Hwy 180 is very easy to miss but it's just after the small fire station on your right, not too far out of town. 164B is easy, gradual climb fire road.

2) take 164B north/northwest to Snow Bowl Rd and there will be a s/t connector heading northeast, right at the road junction. It's the only thing there besides Snow Bowl Rd, off to your right.

3) The connector is a bit bumpy and rutted (riding NE) but eventually connects to the famed Arizona Trail. I think there's signage an the junction but I'm not positive. You'll know you've hit the Arizona Trail though. Once you hit the AZT, it's 0.6mi eastward to the Rocky Moto Trail junction. I've not ridden Rocky Moto yet but according to the Flagstaff Trail map you're riding east for 3.1 miles (incl the "dirt road") until you reach a "T" which is Moto Trail.

4) Moto runs pretty much N/S and it's a blast to descend southbound with twisty spots and decent berms. As you're descending, stay to the right as there are several smaller trails that deviate from it near the lower third. Anyway, once you transition from Rocky Moto to Moto it's about 3.4 miles back to the Start/Finish.

I would encourage everyone to stop by Absolute Bikes and pick up a Flagstaff Trails Map if they want to research the route prior to the race. I'm hoping to ride most of this route next weekend and I'll post any must- know stuff if applicable. Anyway, have a great race and bring your lungs.

#16 ·
Last year was my first race. It was a lot of fun, and it was a good crowd racing. Nobody was a hosebag, and people were cool about getting over so you could pass. Something about a race...the atmosphere, the crowd, the cowbells, the photographers. I can see how it's addictive.

What would be a good shirt to wear?

Green Text Font

Green Font Signage Sign Poster

Muscle Poster Illustration Drawing Hulk

or

Text Font Logo Symbol Trademark

Leaning towards "Beast Mode ON."

#18 ·
I'd say beast mode on is pretty sweet. But take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I am canadian, remember. This does look like a ton of fun. I've only done the dawn to dusk, and I actually enjoyed it, even though it was just Pemberton, for all the reasons you mentioned. Also the beer at the end tasted like it should have been illegal.

#20 ·
I'm in, sport men's 30+. Let me know where you camp sleezy. I actually found a pretty good spot during the Super D race earlier this year. Cruise about an 1/8th of a mile up the fire road and there is a big fallen tree on the right. Fair amount of spots for tents.

BTW E, this is your helmet twin Matt

#21 ·
I wish I could go. Still healing and haven't been able to train. I also might be out of town that weekend, so I guess it was a wash either way.

I highly encourage anyone looking to do their first race to think about doing this one. The course is not easy, but it isn't impossible either. Fun race, fun atmosphere.

#23 ·
Don't order from 6dollarshirts.com. I ordered Beast Mode ON and a few others on July 24th. Still not shipped. I asked what's up and they said it's "in production" and I'll get an email when it ships. No email yet. Totally lame.

Where's the camping spot?

#27 ·
I pre rode this with a buddy on Friday. It was an awesome ride. Also probably one of my more challenging rides. I biffed twice, shook it off and pressed onward.
It will definitely be interesting to see how they pull off a race on certain stretches as it gets pretty technical through the rock gardens.

#28 ·
I pre-road the course last year, but did not make the race. Not sure how it will be at race time, but thing things will be spread out in the dirt road section before you get to the narrow single track. Plus ther will be only like 200-300 riders spread out in 3 stars at least. That should help. Anyway should be fun.

#29 ·
I have done the race twice and the first couple of miles is the service road so people will spread out pretty nicely. I am not a fast one so I just go my pace starting in the back and once you enter the single track you will pass a few that shot their wad already and a few others will pass you. If I hear someone coming up I try to communicate when they can pass and it has been fine for me. Have fun. See you all in a few weeks. Eazy should be easy to spot since he will be the one with out a shirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.