Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Old Fashioned MTB Race

Just signed up. Men's Sport again. Anybody else going to do it?

Vincit qui patitur
    I'll be there again.
    40+ Men Sport
    Camping with our dogs too.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2013 Giant Defy

mtbr member
    I am in for 3 laps on the fat bike. It is a fun event and the entry fee goes to charity.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm in, one lap - beginner. My first race!!

mtbr member
    where do i find information on this race?
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Mega gratis flyboy. Good luck in the race!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    I'm in again this year....did it last year, it was alot of fun. Where is everyone camping?

mtbr member
    We'll have to coordinate a camp spot. I'll be technically homeless at the time since move in day at school isn't until the 24th, so I'm for sure going to camp.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I do love an old fashioned every now and then!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was looking at the map does anyone know what trails this is held on ?

mtbr member
    I just signed up! Going to be my first race ever, hoping for a good time. I will definitely be camping Friday night.

DFMBA.org

Old Fashioned MTB Race

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine85929 View Post
    I was looking at the map does anyone know what trails this is held on ?
    I've ridden part of this course, and from the looks of the Flagstaff Trails map my observations are:

1) trail (fire road) 164B. The trail head turn-off from Hwy 180 is very easy to miss but it's just after the small fire station on your right, not too far out of town. 164B is easy, gradual climb fire road.

2) take 164B north/northwest to Snow Bowl Rd and there will be a s/t connector heading northeast, right at the road junction. It's the only thing there besides Snow Bowl Rd, off to your right.

3) The connector is a bit bumpy and rutted (riding NE) but eventually connects to the famed Arizona Trail. I think there's signage an the junction but I'm not positive. You'll know you've hit the Arizona Trail though. Once you hit the AZT, it's 0.6mi eastward to the Rocky Moto Trail junction. I've not ridden Rocky Moto yet but according to the Flagstaff Trail map you're riding east for 3.1 miles (incl the "dirt road") until you reach a "T" which is Moto Trail.

4) Moto runs pretty much N/S and it's a blast to descend southbound with twisty spots and decent berms. As you're descending, stay to the right as there are several smaller trails that deviate from it near the lower third. Anyway, once you transition from Rocky Moto to Moto it's about 3.4 miles back to the Start/Finish.

I would encourage everyone to stop by Absolute Bikes and pick up a Flagstaff Trails Map if they want to research the route prior to the race. I'm hoping to ride most of this route next weekend and I'll post any must- know stuff if applicable. Anyway, have a great race and bring your lungs.
    Last edited by MTBeing; 07-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Moto aka Lower Moto ? The super D race was on lower moto.
    Thanks for the Info.

DFMBA.org

Old Fashioned MTB Race

Edit: Yes, lower Moto
    Last edited by MTBeing; 07-27-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    I just signed up! Going to be my first race ever, hoping for a good time. I will definitely be camping Friday night.
    Last year was my first race. It was a lot of fun, and it was a good crowd racing. Nobody was a hosebag, and people were cool about getting over so you could pass. Something about a race...the atmosphere, the crowd, the cowbells, the photographers. I can see how it's addictive.

What would be a good shirt to wear?

Name:  Beast_Mode_T_SHIRT_greenheather_swatch.jpg
Views: 44920
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:  Cycling_Is_Dope_T_SHIRT_kellygreen_swatch.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  18.2 KB

Name:  Format_NEW_Unleash_The_Beast_kellygreen_luckygreen_swatch.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  18.3 KB

or

Name:  Do_Not_Resuscitate_T_SHIRT_lightblue_swatch.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  20.6 KB

Leaning towards "Beast Mode ON."

mtbr member
    Beast Mode ON for sure!

mtbr member
    I'd say beast mode on is pretty sweet. But take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I am canadian, remember. This does look like a ton of fun. I've only done the dawn to dusk, and I actually enjoyed it, even though it was just Pemberton, for all the reasons you mentioned. Also the beer at the end tasted like it should have been illegal.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Beast Mode ON shirt on order.

Wait for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Just signed up. Men's Sport again. Anybody else going to do it?
    I'm in, sport men's 30+. Let me know where you camp sleezy. I actually found a pretty good spot during the Super D race earlier this year. Cruise about an 1/8th of a mile up the fire road and there is a big fallen tree on the right. Fair amount of spots for tents.

BTW E, this is your helmet twin Matt

mtbr member
    I wish I could go. Still healing and haven't been able to train. I also might be out of town that weekend, so I guess it was a wash either way.

I highly encourage anyone looking to do their first race to think about doing this one. The course is not easy, but it isn't impossible either. Fun race, fun atmosphere.

mtbr member
    I just signed up. Men's Sport 30-39. I will be staying in town since I am bringing the family.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", '06 Rocky Mtn Switch 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Don't order from 6dollarshirts.com. I ordered Beast Mode ON and a few others on July 24th. Still not shipped. I asked what's up and they said it's "in production" and I'll get an email when it ships. No email yet. Totally lame.

Where's the camping spot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I do love an old fashioned every now and then!
    Made my day.
    2012 Giant Talon 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    See you gents up there. Signed up for Sport Class.

Bringing family so staying in town Friday night.

mtbr member
    Interesting Strava
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | old fashioned MTB race course near Flagstaff | Times and Records | Strava
    I find the north section that runs east from the road to Lower Moto to be quite the challenging rock garden... But then again that is coming from me... So maybe for most it's not that hard..

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I pre rode this with a buddy on Friday. It was an awesome ride. Also probably one of my more challenging rides. I biffed twice, shook it off and pressed onward.
    It will definitely be interesting to see how they pull off a race on certain stretches as it gets pretty technical through the rock gardens.

mtbr member
    I pre-road the course last year, but did not make the race. Not sure how it will be at race time, but thing things will be spread out in the dirt road section before you get to the narrow single track. Plus ther will be only like 200-300 riders spread out in 3 stars at least. That should help. Anyway should be fun.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", '06 Rocky Mtn Switch 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I have done the race twice and the first couple of miles is the service road so people will spread out pretty nicely. I am not a fast one so I just go my pace starting in the back and once you enter the single track you will pass a few that shot their wad already and a few others will pass you. If I hear someone coming up I try to communicate when they can pass and it has been fine for me. Have fun. See you all in a few weeks. Eazy should be easy to spot since he will be the one with out a shirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    Eazy should be easy to spot since he will be the one with out a shirt.
    Actually, they're due to be delivered today. I wanted to be back in AZ by now, but I got a shipping notification on Friday and just decided to wait for them. Watch them not fit or something.

mtbr member

Old Fashioned MTB Race

Signed up again, trying to beat my time from last year which shouldn't be that hard. And, convinced my brother to sign up. He's faster than I am at climbing but I should be able to catch him on the flats and the downs, at least I hope so. I'll never hear the end of it if he beats me ( younger brother).
    Jim

Drinking rum before 10am makes you a pirate...not an alcoholic...

Vincit qui patitur
    Actually, they're due to be delivered today. I wanted to be back in AZ by now, but I got a shipping notification on Friday and just decided to wait for them. Watch them not fit or something.
    Careful driving out. Stay safe see you next weekend.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2013 Giant Defy

mtbr member
    Made it back okay. I decided to cut through south western Kansas and south eastern Colorado to get to Trinidad, CO and then hit the I-25 to get down to 40 and took that in.

Southeastern Colorado.....never before had I looked out on so much but actually saw so little. It was really beautiful, the desolation of it all.

So, where's the bro camp out going to be?

mtbr member
    So, where's the bro camp out going to be?
    I would like to know as well if a group camp site is planned.

Vincit qui patitur
    I was up there today. Looks like some have already set up tents to save spots.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2013 Giant Defy

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Old Fashioned MTB Race

Sounds like a fun race. I might try to make the trip from Tucson. How is the course? I have a anthem x and a hardtail both 29s. Which would be more fun for this trail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    I was up there today. Looks like some have already set up tents to save spots.
    Isn't that against FS rules? Abandoned property or maximum length of stay? It's still 9 days away.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
    Sounds like a fun race. I might try to make the trip from Tucson. How is the course? I have a anthem x and a hardtail both 29s. Which would be more fun for this trail?

Probably the Anthem. Some of it is on FS roads, with a lot of smooth singletrack, but you'd appreciate the Anthem on the rocky parts. Either one would be a good choice though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Old Fashioned MTB Race

Nice. Thanks for the reply Easy. I am probably going to sign up for mens 20-29 sport.

Meatbomb
    Isn't that against FS rules? Abandoned property or maximum length of stay? It's still 9 days away.
    I believe the limit is 14 days.

mtbr member
    Well, I got a chance to do a pre-ride last night. Rocky Moto has some parts I could use a little practice on, for sure. Dunno how I'm gonna do with two laps, but I had enough energy to go back out and explore a few of the Fort Valley trails. For about the first half of the ride, I had the worst stomach cramps ever, so no Chipotle double steak salad two hours before I ride again.

Here's my Strava. Ignore that little spur at the top from me getting lost and continuing on Moto. Probably didn't help my overall speed.

Bike Ride Profile | 11miles near Flagstaff | Times and Records | Strava

Overall, I was pretty happy with how it turned out, especially since I'm not used to the elevation and I haven't really been mountain biking much lately.

mtbr member
    Newbie racer question looking for some advice... I will be driving up to flagstaff from Mesa on Friday and should have time for a preride. Would it be better to do that ride so I know the trail or skip it to be better rested without a ride the day before? Not that I am a serious contender just want to put in my own best performance and was wondering which is more beneficial.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for somewhere to camp close by the race, preferably dispersed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    Newbie racer question looking for some advice... I will be driving up to flagstaff from Mesa on Friday and should have time for a preride. Would it be better to do that ride so I know the trail or skip it to be better rested without a ride the day before? Not that I am a serious contender just want to put in my own best performance and was wondering which is more beneficial.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for somewhere to camp close by the race, preferably dispersed?
    the only section that really needs any attention is the north section from the jeep road to where the downhill starts... if you can ride this section twice so you know it... its chunky and it would be good to know what gears to hit and where... you can access this section from the snowbowl road.. just ride it out and back twice..

you don't want to burn too much the day before... but then again I am 44 years old and I need to rest my muscles...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    the only section that really needs any attention is the north section from the jeep road to where the downhill starts... if you can ride this section twice so you know it... its chunky and it would be good to know what gears to hit and where... you can access this section from the snowbowl road.. just ride it out and back twice..
    So, you're saying get familiar with Rocky Moto? I agree.

It's easy to really run out the gears on the last couple miles of downhill on FR164B, but once you actually see Snowbowl Rd., get into a fairly low gear. You'll come up on the Rocky Moto connector pretty fast at that point, and trying to do that in your high ring isn't easy. Just don't come out of the pocket hard and burn out in the first three miles.

On a side note, I did another ride the other night. Added .9 MPH to my overall average, bringing it up to 8.9MPH. It looked like I was slower on 164B and Rocky Moto and most of my speed gains came from Lower Moto. That's fine, Lower Moto is a blast anyway.

mtbr member
    Good advice guys, thanks for the tips. I was a little hesitant to do the entire loop the evening before the race but a shorter trip to get familiar with the rocky parts would probably be helpful and sufficient.

mtbr member
    If anybody wants to session Rocky Moto on Friday, PM me and I'll give you my number so we can set something up.

I was probably going to scout some camp spots later today. Two days ago, FR164B was pretty thick with campers and tents. It'd probably be better to go a couple miles up 180. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Hey I might just take you up on that. Also where about are FR164B and 180? Going to look them up on Google earth. Thanks!

If anybody wants to session Rocky Moto on Friday, PM me and I'll give you my number so we can set something up.

I was probably going to scout some camp spots later today. Two days ago, FR164B was pretty thick with campers and tents. It'd probably be better to go a couple miles up 180. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Okay, if you want to camp, there's a good spot off FR 220. Go north on 180 out of town until you get past Fort Valley. There's a sign for it on the left side just past the experimental forest farm.

Google Maps: 35.269665,-111.742051

Go down the road for a quarter/half a mile. It's on the right side. Passenger car is no problem. Couple of fire rings already in place and a bunch of dead wood on the ground. Takes five minutes to drive to FR164B from there.

Pics from today:

Old Fashioned MTB Race-1zvtz6o.jpg

Old Fashioned MTB Race-2qdbleg.jpg

mtbr member
    I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be at this point. Something about the first couple of miles up FR164B that still beats me down.

Anybody else still planning on camping out tomorrow night?

mtbr member
    How have the rains been? Forecast is rain showers. I know they can be spotty so who knows what the ground conditions are like.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    How have the rains been? Forecast is rain showers. I know they can be spotty so who knows what the ground conditions are like.
    It's been pretty spotty and variable. 164B had enough so it's not really dusty, but most of the singletrack is pretty dry. The 164B/Rocky Moto connector was really dry yesterday. Went back to Schultz on the AZT, and that was dry too. It's not moon dust, but it sure ain't hero dirt either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast