mtbr member

Off-Topic=I have questions about entering HVAC industry

I just found out I am eligible for some Veteran Assistance for career training and am thinking of trying a newish career. My first choice is HVAC/Electrical since I have a little experience and knowledge of both.

The financial aid should I get accepted would cover one program (approximately 9 months each) at either AAI or RSI. I would plan on working part time for an HVAC company while going to school if possible and then stick with that company after graduation.

My question(s): With your experience in the industry-which school is most respected or considered to be more complete with its training? AND- Do you recommend any companies to avoid or look to for employment?

Thanks in advance and if anyone has any leads on jobs for a guy that is customer service oriented, highly mechanical and can manage others-let me know. Savings are running thin, I was self employed and didn't pay unemployment insurance so I don't get unemployment (even though others I worked for over the last 20 some years did-bogus)!

mtbr member
    Not to be an Eore, but from my perspective, it is a tough gig in the valley right now. I do a lot of work with contractors of that sort and have seen a lot of companies tank in the past couple years. The survivors are seriously cutthroat about going after what little work there is to go around. I hate to see it since there is a lot of wasted talent out there right now.

I hope the economy turns around soon...

I do know of a great little niche that is HVAC related and has minimal support in the valley (virtually NO quality support) and begs for a good local shop..
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input 5. I didn't specify, but at this time I am not looking to start my own business (been doing my own in event management for almost 6 years now and need out I think) but to work in the HVAC field. I have plenty of mechanical and technical ability-just need the specific knowledge to work in the field.

I am the Tin Man!
    My brother in law graduated from RSI in May. He was hired as a favor by a friend of my other brother in law who didnt really need anyone at the time. He was then let go after a few weeks and has been unable to find another job since then. I know its not because of his work ethic, the kid worked for me at my plumbing business and was a very hard worker. Just seems to be a flood of new techs to hit the market once a year. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    My brother in law graduated from RSI in May. He was hired as a favor by a friend of my other brother in law who didnt really need anyone at the time. He was then let go after a few weeks and has been unable to find another job since then. I know its not because of his work ethic, the kid worked for me at my plumbing business and was a very hard worker. Just seems to be a flood of new techs to hit the market once a year. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.
    How is the plumbing biz holding up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anything construction related has sucked for the last five years!