Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Off grid campsites needed

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  big0mike 
#1 ·
The Hubby and I are looking to get away the weekend of the 14th of September. We would like a camp spot near a pond,lake, or creek. We would also like it to be off the grid, no commercial campsites please. If you have a personal one you would like to share with us that would be much appreciated! Would like it to be around the prescott area, maybe even payson or flag. Thanks for the help!:thumbsup:

#3 ·
The pond, creek or lake bit is kind of difficult in AZ. There are some, but good stuff like in the Sierras, Colorado and other places is few and far between. I'd suggest looking up on the Rim, probably the best bet for some small secluded lake/ponds that aren't just mud-holes, like most in AZ. Secluded and year-round running water in Prescott doesn't really exist. Same with Flagstaff, although there is Lake Mary maybe.

There are a few nice alpine areas with aspens, etc, in places you wouldn't expect, but the running water requirement is hard. If only there weren't people around hassayampa lake, it'd be perfect.

#9 ·
My vote would be Chevelon Lake on the rim. We just got back from there last weekend. It's changed a little in the 10 years since I've been there last but it's a good lake if you are looking to AVOID people.

It's the second lake up on the rim but less popular because you can only use lures and must throw anything back between 10" and 14". And you have to kill what you catch immediately or throw it back.

Plus, there's a mile long hike down a roughly graded road to the lake. That's not too bad going down. Coming back up is the pain in the ass.

There is a small "campground" right where they have the road closed to vehicles. This closure used to be another 1/4 mile up the road and there was never an actual campground at this lake. I'm kinda bummed that they actually added a campground but I guess I knew it was bound to happen. We didn't drive through it so I don't know how many sites there are but I'd guess somewhere around 6-8.

But, there are numerous places to pull off the side of the road between the turnoff of 169 onto (I think) 169b.

Also, since the road is blocked off over a 1/4 mile BEFORE where it used to be blocked off there are several campsites past the first barricade and before the second (which are now pulled outta the ground) that would be awesome to use now. Depending on how light you are packing or if you have a quad you can get your gear to one of them as well.

Bear Canyon Lake is the third lake and was always more accessible than Chevelon but less populated than Woods Canyon Lake because it requires a drive down the dirt road which can be nice or horrendously rutted out. And most of the city folk won't put up with that. Currently, 300, 169, and 169b are in the best shape I've ever seen them in. I did 35-40 mph the whole route.

Knoll Lake may be a good one as well as it's the last on 300 and farthest away but we liked Chevelon so much we never felt like driving further. From a googlemap of the area there looks to be a main road in that leads to the campgrounds or another road heading north off 300 that gets you close to the lake but not quite at it. This COULD be ideal but I've never been so...

Hard to go wrong with the rim but, as with anywhere, you will occasionally run into the dipsh|ts that gotta leave the city only to bring their noise pollution with them in the form of radios. Absolutely NOTHING is more pathetic than radios while camping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.